Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How old is that tin at the back of the Press

• 03-02-2012 1:11am

And would you still eat the food in it?
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16852830
    German pensioner eats 64-year-old US lard

A German pensioner who received a tin of American lard 64 years ago in an aid package has only just tasted it, after discovering that it is still edible.
    "I just didn't want to throw it away," said Hans Feldmeier, 87.
    Food safety experts in Rostock, his home town on Germany's Baltic coast, said the pig fat was still safe to eat.

I once found a couple of tins priced in lsd at my parents house, I threw them out!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i have an empty cup of coffee in my room with mould in it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

dolanbaker wrote: »

I once found a couple of tins priced in LSD at my parents house, I threw them out!

Your parents paid for food in drugs? Where the hell did you grow up?! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

dolanbaker wrote: »

I once found a couple of tins priced in LSD at my parents house, I threw them out!
    When I read first I thought you found a few tins of LSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

While rummaging through a press in my parents house I discovered a can of tomatoes from 1994. This was about 2005 at the time, I just put it back, still in there I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I have a tin of that powdered custard stuff in the press that's at least 3 years old. I dunno if it actually goes off since it's powdered

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Tinned Lard
    only just tasted it

**Gets out spoon**

Yummy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Back in the bad old days of secondary school a teacher showed us a jar of rhubarb that was 24 years old and insisted it was perfectly good to eat

I'm just about to tear into a cup of Knorr QuickSoup(tm) from 2008 (expired '09)

Remember lads its Best before. Not likely to cause food poisoning after..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

FatherLen wrote: »
    i have an empty cup of coffee in my room with mould in it.....
    For the sake of brevity describe it as "a mouldy cup" next you'll be talking about "empty bottles of whiskey" and "underdrawn banking accounts", FTLOJ ... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i have a mouldy cup in my room....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

I actually once ate a can of beans which was out of date by a few of months. I spent the next 24hrs on the toilet seat and they say beans make you fart :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

A food expert, Frerk Feldhusen, said the lard was rather gritty and tasteless and hard to dissolve, though quite edible. Mr Feldmeier provided some black bread to go with it.
    Talk about being thrifty...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I tried to taste it but it snapped the broom handle out of my hand and starting bating me about the head and face before regrouping with the expired biscuits into a defensive formation under the sink.

I'm working on a complicated rescue op for the fresh apples taken hostage, if you don't hear from me within twenty four hours you know what happened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

I helped clean out my grandmother's presses, she is lethal for buying food and forgetting about it. I found cans of Soup and jars of uncle bens curry sauces going back to 2005 :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

I'm still using a bottle of olive oil that expired over year ago. That's how mad I am! I'd love a bit 64y/o lard.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

A few years back I found a tin of strawberries in syrup in the back of the press in my Dad's house that had a best before date of 1986.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

at home (15 years ago) we had a tin of golden syrup that had been there since my mam had got married, at that stage it was 15 years old it looked ok but i threw it out anyway. should have kept it and sold the tin!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Just before Christmas I found one of those Cuisne Le France bags in the bread bed and it was two donuts, an apple slice and a croissant.

The donuts and apple slice were covered in mould but yet the croissant was just slightly slate - looked edible in fact, but why?

What's in (or not in) croissants that pervents them from growing mould?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

fungi prob grows quicker on the appley sweetness!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

What's in (or not in) croissants that pervents them from growing mould?
    Uranium, the real secret to French cooking. And you thought all those nuclear reactors were for electricity? Ha!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

I hacked some cod out of my granny's freezer a few years ago which went out of date in 1986. Didn't taste of anything

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭ozmo

What about... 1,000 years old butter maybe 1400 and when found by turf cutters it was wrapped in the scraped-out stomach of a bullock or pig.....

And then someone ate it. :P :eek:

http://www.ipcc.ie/infobogbutter.html

“Roll it back”

Advertisement