Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Make veg cheaper by taxing unhealthy foods.

• 03-02-2012 1:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Thinking about this for a while now.
    The price of fruit and vegetables are far too high, certainly considering the positives they have in terms of health.

Surely a tax could be placed upon unhealthy food, which could then be subsidise and lower the price of fruit and veg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭jimthemental

Mmmmm chips....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Never mind veg... what about vag?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

This would actually make sense though....it's not going to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    The price of fruit and vegetables are far too high

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvk426Yv1T1qg2tfro2_500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Fruit and veg is already cheap, unless you're buying gold plated carrots :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blow69

I would love to see healthy foods being subsidized myself.

I don't see it happening though.

It's crazy when you walk into a supermarket and the majority of special offers are junk food or processed food. That's what people are going to reach for in the end.

I find vegetables very competitively priced in Lidl. Good quality too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

No chance. Exceptional Needs Payments would torpedo your idea!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Why can't everyone **** off trying to tax things for 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

OR MAYBE...

Do some science into making lettuce tasting like chocolate... betcha that's a winner!

RachaelVO wrote: »
    OR MAYBE...

Do some science into making lettuce tasting like chocolate... betcha that's a winner!
    Or Carrots ;)

• Advertisement

Or Carrots ;)

Maybe, but Carrots are kinda alright all by themselves...

Sprouts tasting like chocolate, now that's a solution to a problem!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭mickgotsick

OR MAYBE...

There's no nutritional value in lettuce. Maybe cabbage? Although I like cabbage and if it tasted like chocolate, I wouldn't eat it. Can't please everyone.

Domo230 wrote: »
    Can't we give tax incentives instead so that the healthy produce is cheaper?

No, because Chantelle and Jacintaaaaa need their daily fix at McD's. They'll just go to the CWO and claim Exceptional Needs Payments as making them eat healthy ahem denies them their rights!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

OP, very few foods would, or could, be considered unhealthy in and off themselves.

The issue is how much of said foods are eaten by a person. I would have a moral qualm with the person who might by themselves a nice desert on a Sunday having to pay more just because someone who buys them everyday can't control their eating habits.

Also, that family the parents in the video are idiots.

They spent almost $12 on a drive-thru meal and then go to the supermarket and complain about how 2-3 items of a particular vegetable will cost 99c.

Claiming how sweets and soda are cheaper and therefore easier to fill their children up on them. Complete delusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

phasers wrote: »
    Fruit and veg is already cheap, unless you're buying gold plated carrots :confused:

24 carrots.............. only the best in my house.

Maybe, but Carrots are kinda alright all by themselves...

Sprouts tasting like chocolate, now that's a solution to a problem!
    I think they actually did have carrots a few years ago that were supposed to taste like chocolate. I'm going back about 10-15 years I have a vague memory of hearing this. Perhaps someone remembers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Surely a tax could be placed upon unhealthy food, which could then be subsidise and lower the price of fruit and veg.

No.

We don't want the lower classes living longer.

blow69 wrote: »
    Claiming how sweets and soda are cheaper and therefore easier to fill their children up on them. Complete delusion.

Well, there is some kind of misplaced logic to that. Generally speaking fatty foods will provide a larger amount of calories but also provide a greater feeling of satiety because fats take longer to break down in the stomach than any other macronutrient. As such they feel fuller for longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,667 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Fruit and veg is already tax free. No need for a subsidy.

• Advertisement

I think they actually did have carrots a few years ago that were supposed to taste like chocolate. I'm going back about 10-15 years I have a vague memory of hearing this. Perhaps someone remembers.

I never heard of that before, but in fairness, but I gotta say I'm in...

There's no nutritional value in lettuce. Maybe cabbage? Although I like cabbage and if it tasted like chocolate, I wouldn't eat it. Can't please everyone.

Chocolate flavoured cabbage works too... if it's good for ya, let it taste good, then we'll all be mega healthy!

Well, there is some kind of misplaced logic to that. Generally speaking fatty foods will provide a larger amount of calories but also provide a greater feeling of satiety because fats take longer to break down in the stomach than any other macronutrient. As such they feel fuller for longer.

How dare you label the 'most vulnerable' in society FAT. FFS, talk about social exclusion. Pfft. ;):D

There's no nutritional value in lettuce.

Lettuce does have a decent enough vitamin and mineral profile and has a decent fibre level in the form of cellulose. It's all dependant on the type of lettuce though i guess.

Lettuce does have a decent enough vitamin and mineral profile and has a decent fibre level in the form of cellulose. It's all dependant on the type of lettuce though i guess.

I stand corrected.

I stand corrected.

You can hate on iceberg lettuce all you like....it's ****ing garbage.

You can hate on iceberg lettuce all you like....it's ****ing garbage.

Yeah, you would need to eat a hell of a lot of it to get anything from it.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2476/2

Soda ain't filling though. And neither is candy. You'll feel bloated, but you won't feel full. And you'll get hungrier quicker. Not to mention to complete lack of nutrients and vitamins.

blow69 wrote: »
    Soda ain't filling though. And neither is candy. You'll feel bloated, but you won't feel full. And you'll get hungrier quicker. Not to mention to complete lack of nutrients and vitamins.

Well it really depends on the fat/sugar split as sugar will burn up fast but fat will hang around for a while.

I'm not saying the concept i quoted was correct, merely pointing out the mechanic behind people thinking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

FatherLen wrote: »

That may be the coolest looking guy I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

Thinking about this for a while now.
    The price of fruit and vegetables are far too high, certainly considering the positives they have in terms of health.

OK a few things...

First, that video is from the US where there are billion in ag subsidies. So cutting subsidies would go a long way towards equalizing the cost of processed and fresh food, and that would not require new taxes.

That said, the problem - and this was clear in the video - wasn't that fresh food was too expensive. The problem was that the family didn't cook. They spent $11.50 at the drive-through to feed four people - $11.50 is more than sufficient to make a fresh, healthy meal for four people. It just requires planning. And $11.50/day - which is close to $60/week - is enough to make a week's worth of brown bag lunches - sandwiches, a piece of fruit, a yogurt, and a bag of carrots. So their 'healthy food' problems aren't due to cost, they are due to laziness and lack of nutritional awareness (They didn't know Burger King was unhealthy?!?!?!? And, yes, soda is cheap, but tap water is free!!!).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

In theory thanks to subsidies to farmers , the common agricultural policy etc stuff should be fairly cheap here. Grain for example costs about 10c per Kg

There is also the problem of intervention buying so milk lakes and butter mountains to keep prices artificially high. It's using your taxes to provide price support so you can pay more for the product when you go shopping. This of course supports large commercial growers because we couldn't use the money for the farmers dole to keep people on the land could we ?

And still most of the markup, most of the cost happens between the farm and the shelf. Providing subsidies won't solve the problem of the middlemen.

I never heard of that before, but in fairness, but I gotta say I'm in...

Chocolate flavoured cabbage works too... if it's good for ya, let it taste good, then we'll all be mega healthy!
    I found it online. It was all the way back in 1997. I would have been 10:D
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/chocolate-flavoured-veg-acts-as-carrot-for-healthy-eating-1268573.html
    I remember hearing they were disgusting though.
    They obviously never took off.

I don't understand how some people don't like any Veg though, a lot of it doesn't have much of a taste to it. Then again maybe that's a gene thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Veg is SO cheap... like really cheap. People go on about how the povs can only afford to eat in chippers and that's why they are fat.... but buying healthy food is actually cheaper than buying the **** food with no nutritional value.

You could easily buy a full weeks worth of veg in Aldi for about a tenner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Veg is really cheap. Can get a shìtload of dinners out of the same budget as I would buying luxury food like pizzas & processed chicken.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Cheap veg is not particularly healthy in that it's usually loaded with pesticides.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

10 KG Roosters
    1 KG Carrots
    1 KG Onions
    1 Turnip
    1 Cabbage!! All for ONLY €5!!!

Source.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

cant we just tax people more when they come up with silly ideas to add more tax on foods.

Also adding an extra fast food tax would just put more people on the dole than it would in generating tax revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Jaysus!

That family is spending more on drugs then nutritional food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭Mercurius

Shryke wrote: »
    Why can't everyone **** off trying to tax things for 5 minutes.

All that he's saying is give peas a chance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Cheap veg is not particularly healthy in that it's usually loaded with pesticides.

That's kind of a sweeping statement. If veg is more expensive does that automatically mean it's not loaded with pesticides?
    Are there not regulations on the types and amounts of pesticides that farms are allowed use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

southsiderosie has hit the nail on the head. I think this is more to do with laziness than it is with fruit and veg being expensive. To head to your local chipper and buy a meal is going to cost around €6-7 for a meal that will last you one night.
    That kind of money will buy you plenty of ingredients to cook a dinner that will last 5 days (you could freeze as required). I get the impression however that a lot of younger people either won't cook for themselves or can't cook so as a result they just buy unhealthy food.

Fruit and veg are cheap if you shop around but you need to put some effort into cooking them in order to have a tasty meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I think with food, people look very short term. Oh this salad with chicken breast will cost me x amount but the burger and chips will be cheaper so I'll eat that.

Long term if you are making the poor food choices you're probably going to end up in the doctors more and getting minor illnesses. Worse case scenario you go on long term medication. Now that's expensive

EDIT: junk food tastes **** if you have it all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Tax something because I don't like it and make things I do like cheaper...

:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I think with food, people look very short term. Oh this salad with chicken breast will cost me x amount but the burger and chips will be cheaper so I'll eat that.

Long term if you are making the poor food choices you're probably going to end up in the doctors more and getting minor illnesses. Worse case scenario you go on long term medication. Now that's expensive

EDIT: junk food tastes **** if you have it all the time.

nah sure we are all sponging on the dole and get medical cards now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

That's kind of a sweeping statement. If veg is more expensive does that automatically mean it's not loaded with pesticides?
    No, because it's not a biconditional transposition :pac:
    Are there not regulations on the types and amounts of pesticides that farms are allowed use?

There are, but many would argue that the admitted levels are far too high (anything above 0 for organic fans).

I'm kind of on the fence about it myself but we'll only really know in about 30 years just how much poison is in mass-produced fruit and veg (and meat).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Comepletely agree. I went to buy a small snack the other day. Apple was 65c, animal bar was 25c. Pissed me off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Comepletely agree. I went to buy a small snack the other day. Apple was 65c, animal bar was 25c. Pissed me off.

Bug again, this is where planning comes in. A big bag of apples is pretty cheap, and they keep for a good long while.

If you eat on the run, then often unhealthy food will be cheaper. But if you shop at the grocery store and bring food with you, it is much cheaper in the long run - and healthier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,429 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Today in my local greengrocer

10 Kg potatoes €5
    3 cabbages €2
    3 turnips €2
    I Kg onions €0.79
    1 Kg carrots €0.89
    5 large oranges €2
    5 pink lady apples €2
    10 bananas €2

Less than €17 and in my local fishmonger 10 good sized mackeral fillets for €10. I think it is good value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

gurramok wrote: »
    No, because Chantelle and Jacintaaaaa need their daily fix at McD's. They'll just go to the CWO and claim Exceptional Needs Payments as making them eat healthy ahem denies them their rights!!

Or..just for a minute, let people whatever the fUdge they want to, and if they choose to spend hard earn money on junk, let people.

Seriously. Not everyone can eat the same stuff.

• Advertisement
Advertisement