Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Make veg cheaper by taxing unhealthy foods.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Westernman

Hank_Jones wrote: »
    Thinking about this for a while now.
    The price of fruit and vegetables are far too high, certainly considering the positives they have in terms of health.

Surely a tax could be placed upon unhealthy food, which could then be subsidise and lower the price of fruit and veg.

Might be better if the didnt tax vegetables and fruit grown here in Ireland but continue to tax imported veg and processed foods. This might stimulate more growers and jobs in Ireland.

it's always funny when a bottle of coke at the airport is cheaper than a bottle of water

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

bluewolf wrote: »
    it's always funny when a bottle of coke at the airport is cheaper than a bottle of water

And you can't take either of them on the plane.

And you can't take either of them on the plane.

you can when you're buying them after security :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,137 ✭✭✭44leto

Why does everyone think vege is the healthy option, most vege has being so engineered over the centuries that they are merely sugar pots. If the common spud was to newly arrive on the market, there is so much nightshade in them they would be banned. Before whitey arrived, the Inuit, the aborigines and the North American Indians never touched them and any epidemiological studies of populations who only eat meat confirms they enjoy longevity and are relatively disease free.

A recent study has shown that vege does not protect us against cancer and IMO vegetarians and vegans usually look sickly.

I have never said I am so hungry I could eat a vegetable, they are really only prominent in our diet for about 10,000 years, we really are not suppose to eat them, we are primary fat and meat eating predators.

44leto wrote: »
    A recent study has shown that vege does not protect us against cancer .

:confused::confused:
    I don't know about you, but "does it prevent cancer" isn't usually at the top of my criteria for food choices

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Comepletely agree. I went to buy a small snack the other day. Apple was 65c, animal bar was 25c. Pissed me off.
    You could have got 6 pact of granny smyths for 69 cent in aldi

bluewolf wrote: »
    :confused::confused:
    I don't know about you, but "does it prevent cancer" isn't usually at the top of my criteria for food choices

It was advice dished out by the medical world eat so much vege a day for the antioxidants to protect us from certain cancers but it turns out that is not true.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Why does everyone think vege is the healthy option, most vege has being so engineered over the centuries that they are merely sugar pots. If the common spud was to newly arrive on the market, there is so much nightshade in them they would be banned. Before whitey arrived, the Inuit, the aborigines and the North American Indians never touched them and any epidemiological studies of populations who only eat meat confirms they enjoy longevity and are relatively disease free.

Possibly because potatoes come from Peru and not Australia or the Arctic circle.

As for their life expectancy....

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/080123/dq080123d-eng.htm

http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/health/aboriginal-life-expectancy.html

• Advertisement

Possibly because potatoes come from Peru and not Australia or the Arctic circle.

As for their life expectancy....

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/daily-quotidien/080123/dq080123d-eng.htm

http://www.creativespirits.info/aboriginalculture/health/aboriginal-life-expectancy.html

I was referring to all vegetables and the modern Inuit have a lot of social problems and a very high murder rate, but before we arrived on their scene they enjoyed relatively healthy lives as did the the North American Indians, apart from their wars.

I was referring to all vegetables and the modern Inuit have a lot of social problems and a very high murder rate, but before we arrived on their scene they enjoyed relatively healthy lives as did the the North American Indians, apart from their wars.

How do you know what kind of lives they had? Honest question. there was no literary history among the Native Americans that I'm aware of.

How do you know what kind of lives they had? Honest question. there was no literary history among the Native Americans that I'm aware of.

There was early studies before they got supermarkets and discovered the wonderful world of vege, convenient food and alcohol.

I will try find a link.

Agriculture cost us as a specie we lost an average of 3 inches in height and we began to suffer a host of new diseases, but we also gained from living in cities. A vegetarian diet is good for the planet, but not so much for us. But we can live with eating a lot less meat.

In truth humanity has to move away from eating so much meat. Beef is literally costing us the Earth and it is an extinction event, the Amazon is been turned into one big cattle farm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Inuits do eat some veg though. Mainly seaweed. Also you can't compare their meat eating habits to western ones due to sources of their protein and parts they eat that we discard.

Inuits do eat some veg though. Mainly seaweed. Also you can't compare their meat eating habits to western ones due to sources of their protein and parts they eat that we discard.

I didn't think the had access to sea weed in the Arctic, they just put a hole in Ice and wait for a seal to pop up. I don't know. I know whale meat was also part of their diet.

A bit off topic, the first plants man cultivated was actually barley, now why barley, its either used for animal feed or BEER. And beer seems to be the answer, their early vessels contain traces of alcohol.

Its a new theory doing the rounds one of the reason we settled from a nomadic life, was beer.

Reading up a but on it, it seems the South Americans were big into plant farming from way back:
    Early inhabitants of the Americas developed agriculture, developing and breeding maize (corn) from ears 2–5 cm in length to the current size we are familiar with today. Potatoes, tomatoes, tomatillos (a husked green tomato), pumpkins, chili peppers, squash, beans, pineapple, sweet potatoes, the grains quinoa and amaranth, cocoa beans, vanilla, onion, peanuts, strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, papaya, and avocados were among other plants grown by natives. Over two-thirds of all types of food crops grown worldwide are native to the Americas.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

Veg is dirt cheap. Im vegitarian and probably wouldnt spend more than 20 quid a week on food

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It was advice dished out by the medical world eat so much vege a day for the antioxidants to protect us from certain cancers but it turns out that is not true.
    You're going to need a link to the Daily Mail before I believe that one.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Veg is dirt cheap. Im vegitarian and probably wouldnt spend more than 20 quid a week on food

you buy it fresh in ALDI?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭JCabot

• Advertisement
Advertisement