Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So you think you know the racing rules of sailing? prove it!!

• 03-02-2012 1:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭

Check out www.sailx.com

It's a sailing simulator with a difference - all about racing rules knowledge and tactical sailing. It's freaking awesome!

If anyone's interested, we could set up a boards sailing forum team or competition between ourselves :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,064 ✭✭✭✭neris

The rule is mines bigger and you were in my way..... Or so the guys with the big boats always think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

Not quite..

The bigger your boat, the more your insurance costs for when you hit the smaller guy.

The RRS don't allow for size :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Daibheid

My favourite on this topic was from a bunch of Dubs I met at Brest in 2004 when they were among the very few Irish boats that made it to the Tall Ships festival and many of them in boats old enough to have been tall ships!
    Approximate quote:
    "When someone from one of those posh clubs in a big shiny 50 footer starts shouting "Water, Water" at us we just holler back " NO INSURANCE, NO INSURANCE" and they usually shut up and change course sharpish."

That makes no sense.

1. You can't attend an event like that without a minimum insurance level.

2. If you're not insured, it doesn't mean you you're not liable - you'd still have to pay for any damage if you're in the wrong. :)

Steve wrote: »
    That makes no sense.

1. You can't attend an event like that without a minimum insurance level.

2. If you're not insured, it doesn't mean you you're not liable - you'd still have to pay for any damage if you're in the wrong. :)

Try reading it a second time before knee jerk replying.

1. Who said they were uninsured?

2. Tell us something new but if you've ever actually had an insurance claim you'd go out of your way to avoid repeating the hassle/downtime/depreciation even if you're in the right and ultimately fixed up.

BTW your assertion that the bigger the boat the more it costs to insure is IMHO inaccurate. In my experience a RIB will cost about twice as much to insure as a sailboat twice it's length and 10 times it's displacement.

• Advertisement

Daibheid wrote: »
    Try reading it a second time before knee jerk replying.
    I wasn't having a go there - if I misinterpreted your post then please enlighten me.
    1. Who said they were uninsured?
    Eh, you did: :confused:
    Daibheid wrote: »
    "NO INSURANCE, NO INSURANCE"
    2. Tell us something new but if you've ever actually had an insurance claim you'd go out of your way to avoid repeating the hassle/downtime/depreciation even if you're in the right and ultimately fixed up.
    Agreed, however, historically you had a 'right' to collide with a boat that was obliged to keep clear in order to prove they weren't. Modern RRS now dictate that the 'Right Of Way' boat must act to reasonably avoid a collision and then protest.
    BTW your assertion that the bigger the boat the more it costs to insure is IMHO inaccurate. In my experience a RIB will cost about twice as much to insure as a sailboat twice it's length and 10 times it's displacement.
    Yes, but in the context of this thread, you're hardly likely to be in a racing right of way conflict with a rib. Compare apples with apples :)

I think you enlightened yourself going from "that makes no sense" to perhaps agreeing my post wasn't 100% nonsense. Although you're still struggling with the reading it carefully bit. For example you made an initial assumption they weren't insured and followed with a misguided assertion I said they weren't insured. There's a difference between claiming to be uninsured, to intimidate another boat, and not being insured.

I take your point about not racing RIBs against yachts -however RIBs are often mixed among yacht races as support boats so they all need insurance. Anyway I'll retire from the field secure I managed to convince myself at least my post made some sense:)

Enjoy your 2012 season and may neither of us have to claim on insurance.

If someone yelled at me that they weren't insured in order to get me to relinquish rights then I'd (probably not so politely) ask them to leave the race area and file either a Rule 2 or Rule 69 protest against them - along with the actual right-of-way rule in question.

Hope you have a good season too. :)

Advertisement