Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buy iPad now, or wait for the new one?

• 03-02-2012 1:40am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I was thinking about getting an iPad, but I'm not sure if I should get it now or wait for the new one?

I don't particularly need it, I just want it.

Is it likely that there will be a much bigger difference between this one and the next? I'm not in any rush, but don't want to wait if its not going to really make a difference.

So do ye all think I should buy now or wait?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    Hi,

I was thinking about getting an iPad, but I'm not sure if I should get it now or wait for the new one?

I don't particularly need it, I just want it.

Is it likely that there will be a much bigger difference between this one and the next? I'm not in any rush, but don't want to wait if its not going to really make a difference.

So do ye all think I should buy now or wait?

Not another "should i buy now or wait till later" thread. Jesus.

OP, Buy it now. You will not regret it. 100%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

and from that article "some rumors have suggested that Apple will continue to sell its current iPad 2 at a reduced price to take on cheaper competitors like the Kindle Fire."

they did this already with the Ipad 1. When the new ipad 2 was announced they sold the Ipad 1 for a while at €379 which was €130 of a discount off what it was.

So if you wait a month and the rumours are true, you may have an iPad3 for the same price as iPad 2 is now, or you could get an iPad 2 for over a hundred euro cheaper
    (alternatively nothing might be released in a month and your still iPad-less!! )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Definitely wait!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

At this stage you'd be crazy to buy one. iPad 3 should be out in a matter of weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

and from that article "some rumors have suggested that Apple will continue to sell its current iPad 2 at a reduced price to take on cheaper competitors like the Kindle Fire."

they did this already with the Ipad 1. When the new ipad 2 was announced they sold the Ipad 1 for a while at €379 which was €130 of a discount off what it was.

So if you wait a month and the rumours are true, you may have an iPad3 for the same price as iPad 2 is now, or you could get an iPad 2 for over a hundred euro cheaper
    (alternatively nothing might be released in a month and your still iPad-less!! )

Was that not just for the refurb models?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The next iPad is gonna have a display that will be hugely improved on the current one.

If the difference was between iPad 1 and 2, I wouldn't be bothered - but definitely wait for the 3 at this stage. It's too close now to buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

TheZohan wrote: »
    Was that not just for the refurb models?

nope!
    Last March I got one of the 1st gen ones with custom engraving and all shipped directly from china for €379, brandy new!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

mad muffin wrote: »
    At this stage you'd be crazy to buy one. iPad 3 should be out in a matter of weeks.

More than likely will be a few months still until it's in any decent quantities in Ireland. I was thinking of waiting but i'm probably now decided to buy a quad core android tablet instead

Eoin247 wrote: »
    More than likely will be a few months still until it's in any decent quantities in Ireland. I was thinking of waiting but i'm probably now decided to buy a quad core android tablet instead

Android? :confused::eek:

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

Android? :confused::eek:

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the current tablet market, top end android tablets blow the ipad 2 out of the water.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

My recollection is that Apple never sold as new the discounted iPad 1 alongside the iPad 2. They sold it outside the US until the iPad 2 was released, but once it was the iPad 1 went into the refurb section like it did in the US.

In the current tablet market, top end android tablets blow the ipad 2 out of the water.

Really? With what?

Really? With what?

Much better displays, connectivity, camera, the os (obviously this one is more of an opinion but i would choose android os over ios any day), the ATP for example has a quad core processor now as compared to the ipads dual core one, Higher Ram, CPU,Ports for memory/usb/hdmi/etc (of which the ipad has none), more file types supported for video audio etc, better hd video playback. There's just a few things i saw in most recently released and upcoming android devices that i can write down off the top of my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

I really can't understand why people love having ports on a mobile device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

It would be handy for connecting my portable hardrive for watching my movie collection on the move.

symbolic wrote: »
    It would be handy for connecting my portable hardrive for watching my movie collection on the move.

Sounds like a step back. I have plex to watch all my media while out with the iPad. Much better solution.

Much cheaper storage is one example

Much cheaper storage is one example

Still not the best solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I'd hardly call having an external hard drive/pen drive hanging out of a tablet portable?

• Advertisement

I'd hardly call having an external hard drive/pen drive hanging out of a tablet portable?

I agree that a portable hdd and lead would be a nuisance, but a stick....? You could hardly consider a USB drive to be un-portable

dodzy wrote: »
    I agree that a portable hdd and lead would be a nuisance, but a stick....? You could hardly consider a USB drive to be un-portable

Why not have the memory inside the device or in a remote location?

To me it's like the non-apple device makers put in the features that apple don't and that customers think they want. But they are stupid features.

Why not have the memory inside the device or in a remote location?

To me it's like the non-apple device makers put in the features that apple don't and that customers think they want. But they are stupid features.
    Personally, I cannot see any apple owner refusing to purchase an Ipad if they added, say, an SD card slot.

dodzy wrote: »
    Personally, I cannot see any apple owner refusing to purchase an Ipad if they added, say, an SD card slot.

Of course they wouldn't refuse. It's the best product in the segment. But not because they add an SD slot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Don't buy the ipad3, the ipad 4 will be out a year later, or even better , wait another year and get the ipad 5. or just buy one now

Sounds like a step back. I have plex to watch all my media while out with the iPad. Much better solution.

Ah I understand but unfortunately my "out and about" can involve trains around Ireland, where mobile broadband and wi-fi connections are just too unreliable, and the odd plane!

Anyway I don't want to be the one to hold back progress.

symbolic wrote: »
    Ah I understand but unfortunately my "out and about" can involve trains around Ireland, where mobile broadband and wi-fi connections are just too unreliable, and the odd plane!

Anyway I don't want to be the one to hold back progress.

The proper solution for you is large internal storage. This is what the iPad is workin towards. Adding ports is not the proper solution. It is unimaginative and results in slower innovation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

al28283 wrote: »
    Don't buy the ipad3, the ipad 4 will be out a year later, or even better , wait another year and get the ipad 5. or just buy one now

Oh yes I forgot how ipad 3 coming out in 1 month is just the same as ipad4 coming out in a year and ipad5 in 2 years.

Exactly the same in every way. How silly of me.

The proper solution for you is large internal storage. This is what the iPad is workin towards. Adding ports is not the proper solution. It is unimaginative and results in slower innovation.

Not sure I'd agree with large internal storage being the proper solution for me. I like to keep all my media on my storage drive and then connect my devices to it to consume that media. Having to keep a copy of it on my iPad seems like a step backwards :) Anyway, I guess we won't agree as we use our devices differently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

If people want ports, usb & large storage then that's why you need a laptop/desktop computer.

Surely tablets that are used by people who have large content would only have short periods of no access to their content and just load what they need for the time they need it.

Also convinced in the future that cloud computing is just going wipe out the storage issue.

Advertisement