Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buy iPad now, or wait for the new one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

murpho999 wrote: »
    If people want ports, usb & large storage then that's why you need a laptop/desktop computer.

Surely tablets that are used by people who have large content would only have short periods of no access to their content and just load what they need for the time they need it.

Also convinced in the future that cloud computing is just going wipe out the storage issue.

Even on a long weekend away its nice not to have to decide what you are going to watch for the weekend and just throw the hard drive in the bag and head off, just be handy to use the iPad to consume the media on that hard drive, rather than bringing my laptop and my iPad.

And don't get me wrong, I'm all for cloud computing or iCloud as they call it, but here in Ireland I don't think the infrastructure is there to support it just yet.

So guess I personally would find it handy to have that option, and just don't see the disadvantages of having the functionality on the device. Don't see how having more options is a step backwards etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭dillo2k10

I think a USB port would destroy an ipad, it would just look ugly.

As for the SD slot everyone at apple would have to be insane to allow that, the money they would loose from everyone just buying the basic 16gb and then just buying an SD card to make up for it.

I was half was between getting an iPad now or waiting, but I now have no choice but to wait (just had to put €700 into my car :( )

dillo2k10 wrote: »
    I think a USB port would destroy an ipad, it would just look ugly.

Maybe just allow the functionality through the 30-pin dock connector port.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Eoin247 wrote: »
    In the current tablet market, top end android tablets blow the ipad 2 out of the water.

Do you have a link to these tablets?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

I truly believe that unless you're doing some serious heavy transfers (thunderbolt or 10 gig Ethernet) then there should never be ports or cables used on devices.

• Advertisement

I truly believe that unless you're doing some serious heavy transfers (thunderbolt or 10 gig Ethernet) then there should never be ports or cables used on devices.

Apple obviously do not agree with you as they allow the use of a port and cable to transfer media to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Of course they wouldn't refuse. It's the best product in the segment. But not because they add an SD slot.
    You seem to have misunderstood my post......
    But they are stupid features.
    ...it was directed at above comment. The one which labels all non IOS ports as being stupid features :rolleyes:

dodzy wrote: »
    You seem to have misunderstood my post......

...it was directed at above comment. The one which labels all non IOS ports as being stupid features :rolleyes:

They are stupid features. And not because they are not on the iPad. So you misunderstood my post. If apple put an SD slot on the iPad then it is a stupid feature. But there is a slim chance of that happening because they innovate during design. The other manufacturers put in features that they and people think are necessary and lacking from apples products. Really they are just lacking creativity and innovation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

They are stupid features. And not because they are not on the iPad. So you misunderstood my post. If apple put an SD slot on the iPad then it is a stupid feature. But there is a slim chance of that happening because they innovate during design. The other manufacturers put in features that they and people think are necessary and lacking from apples products. Really they are just lacking creativity and innovation.

Tsch. Stupid customers. Thinking they actually know what they want. :rolleyes:

Tsch. Stupid customers. Thinking they actually know what they want. :rolleyes:

If Henry ford asked people what they wanted they would have said faster horses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

Hobbes wrote: »
    Eoin247 wrote: »
    In the current tablet market, top end android tablets blow the ipad 2 out of the water.

Do you have a link to these tablets?

I'd say the following two are better in every way
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_7_7_lte_i815-4419.php
    http://www.gsmarena.com/asus_eee_pad_transformer_prime-4322.php

That said, the ipad3 will no doubt usurp these two and the cycle continues. I remember having a corporations fanboyism fetish when I was a kid with the snes vs sega arguments :-D

Ok one last question before I leave this discussion.

Why do Apple allow me to transfer video files from my PC through iTunes using a USB cable but do not allow me to copy files from an External Drive to my iPad through USB cable?

I'm getting the feeling that you are saying that the reason is innovation? Am i correct?

symbolic wrote: »
    Ok one last question before I leave this discussion.

Why do Apple allow me to transfer video files from my PC through iTunes using a USB cable but do not allow me to copy files from an External Drive to my iPad through USB cable?

I'm getting the feeling that you are saying that the reason is innovation? Am i correct?

It's because of their design principle. The mac/PC is your digital hub. You connect your camera, your phone and your tablet to it. It MANAGES your media. It does not just present you with a filesystem. If the mobile tech moves to a point where this hub is no longer required then you may see a shift in this principle.

Btw, you can wirelessly sync with iTunes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Yeah the iPad's lack of a file system is the main reason you can't just hook up an external hdd. But I don't think even Apple are too mad about the iTunes digital hub method.

Btw, you can wirelessly sync with iTunes.

I know yes, that's why I chose to say "allow me", as I felt you meant the reason that Apple did not want me to transfer media from a USB drive was due to their dislike of USB Cable transfers.

So would you agree that their design principle of the hub makes things slightly restrictive for some people, with no real benefit?

As in what's the harm (technology wise) in the device being able to take media from many sources, if you do not want to use it then fine, but if some else does then let them?

I know yes, that's why I chose to say "allow me", as I felt you meant the reason that Apple did not want me to transfer media from a USB drive was due to their dislike of USB Cable transfers.

So would you agree that their design principle of the hub makes things slightly restrictive for some people, with no real benefit?

As in what's the harm (technology wise) in the device being able to take media from many sources, if you do not want to use it then fine, but if some else does then let them?

There are some cons I agree. As a tech savy person myself I like to use Linux etc. so sometimes it is restrictive.

But their devices are for a large consumer market. Majority of which are in no way technical. So I agree with their principles and find it ingenious how they created their eco

There are some cons I agree. As a tech savy person myself I like to use Linux etc. so sometimes it is restrictive.

But their devices are for a large consumer market. Majority of which are in no way technical. So I agree with their principles and find it ingenious how they created their eco system.

But their devices are for a large consumer market. Majority of which are in no way technical. So I agree with their principles and find it ingenious how they created their eco

I 100% agree.

And the iPad is a fantastic device.

Maybe they need to release an Apple iPad Pro!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

Ah yes, I see now. Apple is great; everything else is sh1te. Message received and understood. Thank you.

dodzy wrote: »
    Ah yes, I see now. Apple is great; everything else is sh1te. Message received and understood. Thank you.

I see you skipped over the Henry ford comment.

What I'm saying is apple are the only ones trying to innovate. The rest copy but add features that are not necessary.

• Advertisement

I see you skipped over the Henry ford comment.

What I'm saying is apple are the only ones trying to innovate. The rest copy but add features that are not necessary.

Its a stupid comment.
    a) horses are fast. As fast as the first cars. People wouldn't think MR Ford build us faster horses - it doens't make sense.
    b) henry ford selling cars ISN'T exactly the same as Apple selling ipads - shockingly enough these historically different, technologically different, functionally different products are, well, different!! WOW

Its a stupid comment.
    a) horses are fast. As fast as the first cars. People wouldn't think MR Ford build us faster horses - it doens't make sense.
    b) henry ford selling cars ISN'T exactly the same as Apple selling ipads - shockingly enough these historically different, technologically different, functionally different products are, well, different!! WOW

Eh....I see you missed the point.

Eh....I see you missed the point.

Pot. Kettle. Black. (ba-dumtsch:D)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Its a stupid comment.
    That obviously went clear over your head, no need to even duck...

Johnmb wrote: »
    That obviously went clear over your head, no need to even duck...

Are you talkign to me or him ?

My point, which I was making through overlaboured sarcasm, is that he's not comparing like with like. Did I forget the smiley face again ??? Sorry, I sometimes forget people don't see sarcasm unless there is a 12foot smiley face attached :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

Are you talkign to me or him ?

My point, which I was making through overlaboured sarcasm, is that he's not comparing like with like. Did I forget the smiley face again ??? Sorry, I sometimes forget people don't see sarcasm unless there is a 12foot smiley face attached :rolleyes:
    His point wasn't to compare products, it was a very simple statement of the well known fact that people don't necessarily know what they want when it comes to new technology, because the average person lacks the imagination required. That's what makes the innovators so special, they can see a new technology that fulfills a demand that the average person didn't even realise was there. Ford did it in his day with his product, Apple are currently doing it in their markets, and many other innovators have done it, and will continue to do it in the future, in their markets. It was the customers that were being compared, not the products, so he was comparing like with like, he was comparing people to people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

00sully wrote: »
    I'd say the following two are better in every

Neither of them are released yet. Can you name one that you can purchase now?

Edit: Asus appears to be released but not possible to find somewhere to buy. Also on ones I can find listed are the dual core @ €500, not the quad core.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

al28283 wrote: »
    Don't buy the ipad3, the ipad 4 will be out a year later, or even better , wait another year and get the ipad 5. or just buy one now

+1

I love these threads. What does the OP want to hear?

Yes or No?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 324 ✭✭Spook80

nulabert wrote: »
    +1

I love these threads. What does the OP want to hear?

Yes or No?

Sorry but I disagree.
    I think the point is ya wouldn't go out and buy FIFA 11 a month before FIFA 12 came out.
    I wouldn't be the type of person to buy every new apple product but I have an iPad 1 now and starting to run very short on space so common sense says to wait a month and get the new one or if not wait a month and get an ipad2 for a lot cheaper.

• Advertisement

Johnmb wrote: »
    His point wasn't to compare products, it was a very simple statement of the well known fact that people don't necessarily know what they want when it comes to new technology, because the average person lacks the imagination required. That's what makes the innovators so special, they can see a new technology that fulfills a demand that the average person didn't even realise was there. Ford did it in his day with his product, Apple are currently doing it in their markets, and many other innovators have done it, and will continue to do it in the future, in their markets. It was the customers that were being compared, not the products, so he was comparing like with like, he was comparing people to people.

Exactly.

Most people think the iPad lacks flash, USB ports, SD card slot etc. When really these should be left to PCs. Including them reduces the R&D that goes into innovation.

I may be labelled an Apple fan boy. But I can see they are the main drivers of tech innovation in mobile devices.

Advertisement