Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buy iPad now, or wait for the new one?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Johnmb wrote: »
    His point wasn't to compare products, it was a very simple statement of the well known fact that people don't necessarily know what they want when it comes to new technology, because the average person lacks the imagination required. That's what makes the innovators so special, they can see a new technology that fulfills a demand that the average person didn't even realise was there. Ford did it in his day with his product, Apple are currently doing it in their markets, and many other innovators have done it, and will continue to do it in the future, in their markets. It was the customers that were being compared, not the products, so he was comparing like with like, he was comparing people to people.

And my point was that this is a flawed analogy. Try to keep up would you. My point is that comparing the sophisticated tablet market to the first car market is flawed beyond belief. For one thing - Ford had a monopoly. Apple doesn't (quite), there is a competitor. The second thing is that modern tech consumers are VERY educated about what they. I want a ****ing SD card because I use them alot - they are convenient. My camera uses them. It doesn't have wifi. I HATE going thru itunes for everything - in fact its one reason I returned my iphone after less than a week. I don't give a f**k that apple thinks I should only upload content via the cloud or itunes. F**k off with your privacy raping cloud.

The point is - I'm a consumer and many others like me feel the same. I don't give a f**k what apple's vision of how a tablet should work in some apple utopia world. I have SD cards now. I like them. I have a choice. I'll buy a competitor who does build in SD cards.

Henry Ford apparently said you can have any colour as long as its black. But then he could dictate tot he market since Audi, nor anyone else weren't selling 4 wheel drives, 500bhp turbo diesel's etc back then were they ?

It was Ford's black model T or you walk.

If I don't like Apple I can and will buy an Android or Windows tablet with the features I do want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

And my point was that this is a flawed analogy. Try to keep up would you. My point is that comparing the sophisticated tablet market to the first car market is flawed beyond belief. For one thing - Ford had a monopoly. Apple doesn't (quite), there is a competitor. The second thing is that modern tech consumers are VERY educated about what they. I want a ****ing SD card because I use them alot - they are convenient. My camera uses them. It doesn't have wifi. I HATE going thru itunes for everything - in fact its one reason I returned my iphone after less than a week. I don't give a f**k that apple thinks I should only upload content via the cloud or itunes. F**k off with your privacy raping cloud.

The point is - I'm a consumer and many others like me feel the same. I don't give a f**k what apple's vision of how a tablet should work in some apple utopia world. I have SD cards now. I like them. I have a choice. I'll buy a competitor who does build in SD cards.

Henry Ford apparently said you can have any colour as long as its black. But then he could dictate tot he market since Audi, nor anyone else weren't selling 4 wheel drives, 500bhp turbo diesel's etc back then were they ?

If I don't like Apple I can and will buy an Android or Windows tablet with the features I do want.

When making your points (if such there are), kindly do so without resort to expletives, deleted or otherwise. There is no need for this nor dramatic verbs such as "rape".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭Stainless_Steel

You make valid points, and I don't mind the cursing.

But there is one point that you are most definitely incorrect on - majority of consumers are not tech savy like you.

Without apple the current tablet market wouldn't exist.

Don't buy anymore apple products. They are not for you. But thank them for creating a market and bringing the choice you want and have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

so...to summarize the rants :D

Did we tell OP to buy or Not to buy

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

culabula wrote: »
    When making your points (if such there are), kindly do so without resort to expletives, deleted or otherwise. There is no need for this nor dramatic verbs such as "rape".

So normally I would argue with someone who tells me I can't swear, even deleted, since its my freedom of expression and I wanted to use emphasis. Swearing for emphasis is a skill and time honoured Irish tradition. But since you are a mod there is little point - I've never seen a mod say this on board before normally they curse as much as anyone else. In fact mods and even admins regularly swear on boards. I take your point on the word 'rape'. Funnily enough I hate the way it is used in common language and normally I am on the side of giving out about its use that way, however I genuinely could not find another suitably descriptive adjective to describe how the cloud defiles privacy and for the first time decide to use the word rape in this sense.

You make valid points, and I don't mind the cursing.

But there is one point that you are most definitely incorrect on - majority of consumers are not tech savy like you.

Without apple the current tablet market wouldn't exist.
    Was going to thank your post up to here.
    Don't buy anymore apple products. They are not for you. But thank them for creating a market and bringing the choice you want and have.

Excuse me who are you to tell me what to buy ?
    I'm on my third macbook currently. I LOVE them. They are beyond awesome - by a wide wide margin the best laptops I've ever had. I'm currently waiting for the next model to come out with baited breath to buy myself one nice pretty 15" one of them.
    However if they extend their growing restrictive business practises into the laptops I'll be reconsidering that

• Advertisement

So normally I would argue with someone who tells me I can't swear, even deleted, since its my freedom of expression and I wanted to use emphasis. Swearing for emphasis is a skill and time honoured Irish tradition. But since you are a mod there is little point - I've never seen a mod say this on board before normally they curse as much as anyone else. In fact mods and even admins regularly swear on boards. I take your point on the word 'rape'. Funnily enough I hate the way it is used in common language and normally I am on the side of giving out about its use that way, however I genuinely could not find another suitably descriptive adjective to describe how the cloud defiles privacy and for the first time decide to use the word rape in this sense.

Well, you've never seen this mod curse or swear on here.
    Don't begin sentences with 'so', either :D

culabula wrote: »
    Well, you've never seen this mod curse or swear on here.
    Don't begin sentences with 'so', either :D

Any other grammar tips for me ??? :P

Any other grammar tips for me ??? :P

Yes: one question mark is enough.
    :pac:

Excuse me who are you to tell me what to buy ?
    I'm on my third macbook currently. I LOVE them. They are beyond awesome - by a wide wide margin the best laptops I've ever had. I'm currently waiting for the next model to come out with baited breath to buy myself one nice pretty 15" one of them.
    However if they extend their growing restrictive business practises into the laptops I'll be reconsidering that

Ah man I wasn't trying to tell you what you are allowed to purchase. I too have a MacBook. It's my digital hub. They won't restrict it in the same way for that reason. That was my point at the start. The iPad is not meant to give you the same functionality. It pitches at a different use of tech. And in my opinion they got it spot on. That's all.

Ah man I wasn't trying to tell you what you are allowed to purchase. I too have a MacBook. It's my digital hub. They won't restrict it in the same way for that reason. That was my point at the start. The iPad is not meant to give you the same functionality. It pitches at a different use of tech. And in my opinion they got it spot on. That's all.

One very important plus where iPad is concerned is that it simply gets better every day. Who would have predicted a month ago that I would now be using a virtual Windows 7 desktop on it, for example, with an MS Office suite? Full access to Netflix? Foreign TV without a satellite dish (or subscription)?

My Macbook doesn't even get a look-in any more (except that it and its gamut of external Hard Drives are home to the media that I regularly access while on the move).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

Hobbes wrote: »
    Neither of them are released yet. Can you name one that you can purchase now?

Edit: Asus appears to be released but not possible to find somewhere to buy. Also on ones I can find listed are the dual core @ €500, not the quad core.

http://www.expansys.ie/samsung-galaxy-tab-7-7-wi-fi-16gb-silver-light-226795/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Eoin247

Neither of them are released yet. Can you name one that you can purchase now?

Edit: Asus appears to be released but not possible to find somewhere to buy. Also on ones I can find listed are the dual core @ €500, not the quad core.

Asus transformer prime is quad core and has been availible since christmas in many places. The old version from last year is the dual core one which isn't called the prime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

00sully wrote: »

Has to be a different spec to the one that was linked. As the one originally linked said it wasn't released yet.
    Asus transformer prime is quad core and has been availible since christmas in many places.

By available I guess you mean loads of sites that list it as out of stock? :) Certainly is a nice tablet. Appears stocking is a known issue at the moment.

http://www.t3.com/news/asus-transformer-prime-available-for-uk-pre-order

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Yes!

Buy Apple, not Android :D:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

mad muffin wrote: »
    Yes!

Buy Apple, not Android :D:p

+1

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Don't buy - ipad3 due out soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭00sully

00sully wrote: »

Has to be a different spec to the one that was linked. As the one originally linked said it wasn't released yet.
    Asus transformer prime is quad core and has been availible since christmas in many places.

By available I guess you mean loads of sites that list it as out of stock? :) Certainly is a nice tablet. Appears stocking is a known issue at the moment.

http://www.t3.com/news/asus-transformer-prime-available-for-uk-pre-order

It HAS to be does it? It's there on expansys to buy right now :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

And my point was that this is a flawed analogy. Try to keep up would you.

I am, you still seem to be stuck on the wrong comparison though.
    My point is that comparing the sophisticated tablet market to the first car market is flawed beyond belief. For one thing - Ford had a monopoly. Apple doesn't (quite), there is a competitor.
    Which might be relevant if the products were being compared. But since it was people that were being compared, it's not really relevant.
    The second thing is that modern tech consumers are VERY educated about what they.
    If that's the case, why did so many deem the iPad to be a failure when it was first announced?
    I want a ****ing SD card because I use them alot - they are convenient. My camera uses them. It doesn't have wifi. I HATE going thru itunes for everything - in fact its one reason I returned my iphone after less than a week. I don't give a f**k that apple thinks I should only upload content via the cloud or itunes. F**k off with your privacy raping cloud.
    Good for you. You are in the minority, as tablet sales records show over and over again.
    And many people continued to buy horses even after Ford did his thing. You are currently, and likely to remain, in the minority. A tiny minority at that, because not only does the most popular tablet (the iPad) not bother with what you want, the second most popular tablet, and most popular Android version (Kindle Fire) also doesn't cater to your wishes.

You can. Everyone can. The vast majority don't. And a large proportion of those who do buy another tablet, don't buy one with the features that you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

Johnmb wrote: »
    And many people continued to buy horses even after Ford did his thing. You are currently, and likely to remain, in the minority. A tiny minority at that, because not only does the most popular tablet (the iPad) not bother with what you want, the second most popular tablet, and most popular Android version (Kindle Fire) also doesn't cater to your wishes.
    Nor do either, I have both, cater for my needs. Its simply that they are the best available, right now, warts and all. :)

I suspect that those of us who do not like Apples tethering to ITunes are in the majority, but, full marks to Apple for leading the way in innovation.

NewHillel wrote: »
    I suspect that those of us who do not like Apples tethering to ITunes are in the majority, but, full marks to Apple for leading the way in innovation.

The whole "tethering to iTunes" thing was genius. Do you remember when MP3 players first came on the market? The iPod changed the game. People could buy music easily, and their iPod would sync with iTunes. No filesystem. An end to end solution. Would people really prefer to be dragging and dropping? I doubt the majority would even know where to start. They would lose interest. iPod sales to date have shown the iTunes system works.

• Advertisement

The whole "tethering to iTunes" thing was genius. Do you remember when MP3 players first came on the market? The iPod changed the game. People could buy music easily, and their iPod would sync with iTunes. No filesystem. An end to end solution. Would people really prefer to be dragging and dropping? I doubt the majority would even know where to start. They would lose interest. iPod sales to date have shown the iTunes system works.

yes I would like to drag and drop. And actually me da who has an ipad1 was giving out about itunes earlier. he finds it difficult to use. He would prefer to drag and drop.

If you exclusively use itunes for all your content its nto that bad. But if you don't its a pin in the gonads. Look at it this way when i did have the iphone I tried to put pdf's on it to read when on bus or whatever. I had to plug it in, open itunes, click on iphone section, then click on apps, then click on goodreader, then click to add a files, then look thru a file list for my file, then select file(s), then finally sync before I can get my files over.

Yes 1000 times I would prefer drag and drop this rigmaroll. As would my dad - a very ordinary user just consuming content. As would anyone else I konw who uses the thing.

I've never heard anyone, noone, not one single person say these 3 words -> "I like itunes"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

Get a Spotify/we7 account and you will be free from iTunes!

keith_d99 wrote: »
    Get a Spotify/we7 account and you will be free from iTunes!

I have no idea what that even means ?
    Why should I have to know what it means and become a hacker to simply use a device ? Much easier simply to buy android.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

yes I would like to drag and drop. And actually me da who has an ipad1 was giving out about itunes earlier. he finds it difficult to use. He would prefer to drag and drop.

If you exclusively use itunes for all your content its nto that bad. But if you don't its a pin in the gonads. Look at it this way when i did have the iphone I tried to put pdf's on it to read when on bus or whatever. I had to plug it in, open itunes, click on iphone section, then click on apps, then click on goodreader, then click to add a files, then look thru a file list for my file, then select file(s), then finally sync before I can get my files over.

Yes 1000 times I would prefer drag and drop this rigmaroll. As would my dad - a very ordinary user just consuming content. As would anyone else I konw who uses the thing.

I've never heard anyone, noone, not one single person say these 3 words -> "I like itunes"

I like iTunes. There, that removes that particular bugbear for you :D. I run it on Macs, and maybe that helps, because all the complaints I hear are from Windows users, where iTunes seems very bloated and resource hungry. Runs sweet as a nut on the mac, though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I like iTunes as well. I don't understand what people's problem with it is. But I've never used it to sync PDF files etc in the way described above. I use DropBox for things like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

My daughter ( while on holiday with the family ): " Dad, can i use the camera to take a few snaps ?"

Me: " fire away hun"

Daughter (later that evening): " dad, can we have a look at the snaps i took today on the ipad ? the screen on the camera is really too small to appreciate them "

Me: " sorry hun, it doesnt work like that "

Daughter: " can you not just pop the card from the camera in "

Me: "eh...."

Later that year.................

Daughter: " cool, thanks for the laptop dad. I love christmas!"

Me:" youre welcome hun, and thanks for the slippers "

Daughter:"dad, will you get my music off my itouch and put it on the new laptop for me, so i can add the new CD that my sister got me ?"

Me: "eh......."

I do love my apple stuff, but surely catering for the above could not be classed as anti-innovative ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

dodzy wrote: »
    My daughter ( while on holiday with the family ): " Dad, can i use the camera to take a few snaps ?"

Daughter (later that evening): " dad, can we have a look at the snaps i took today on the ipad ? the screen on the camera is really too small to appreciate them "

Daughter:"dad, will you get my music off my itouch and put it on the new laptop for me, so i can add the new CD that my sister got me ?"

I do love my apple stuff, but surely catering for the above could not be classed as anti-innovative ??

That's really a poor example.

You can buy a camera adaptor it plugs into the 30 pin on the iPad and you can then hook up your camera to it and it will upload all your selected photos to the iPad. You can also hook up your phone.

Works simply and easily, adaptor is around €30. If you have iOS 5 on your iPad and iPhone and have photo stream set up all your photos will be waiting on your iPad when you get home.

As far as extracting music from your iPod/iPhone there are many free programmes out there that will do that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

dodzy wrote: »

They have an adaptor to add photos from a camera via USB or SD card. Not that difficult. And when will people realise that Apple's relationship with the Music and movie studios makes them deliberately takes steps to stop sharing back from iDevices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

I have no idea what that even means ?
    Why should I have to know what it means and become a hacker to simply use a device ? Much easier simply to buy android.

No hacking involved ... http://bit.ly/vKA8Nf

• Advertisement

I like iTunes as well. I don't understand what people's problem with it is. But I've never used it to sync PDF files etc in the way described above. I use DropBox for things like that.

Works easily, quickly and well. Also programmes to easily upload movies and Tv Programmes from iTunes to iPad.

All together now: I LIKE ITUNES.

Advertisement