Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buy iPad now, or wait for the new one?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

mad muffin wrote: »
    You can buy a camera adaptor it plugs into the 30 pin on the iPad and you can then hook up your camera to it and it will upload all your selected photos to the iPad. You can also hook up your phone.

I actually have this. You get a USB and SD card connector kit. It only works on the iPad though. I was quite amazed at how easy it was to transfer the files. Literally does everything for you.

culabula wrote: »
    All together now: I LIKE ITUNES.

iTunes on the Mac is a lovely piece of software. On windows it is quite possibly one of the worst pieces of dreck I have had the misfortune to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Hobbes wrote: »
    I actually have this. You get a USB and SD card connector kit. It only works on the iPad though. I was quite amazed at how easy it was to transfer the files. Literally does everything for you.

Quite excellent.

iTunes on the Mac is a lovely piece of software. On windows it is quite possibly one of the worst pieces of dreck I have had the misfortune to use.

Fortunately, I have not had the misfortune to use Windows since 2004.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It really is a horrible, slow piece of crap on PC.

I sync with my work computer but only open it when absolutely necessary. It runs like a weed so I kill it when not in use.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Runs perfectly fine on my PC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

+1 to that

Great piece of kit on a Mac

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

When the iPad 3 launches, will it be the price that the iPad 2 is at the moment with the iPad 2 lowering in price on launch date?

Btw, for the Camera example given earlier. You can use EyeFi and that way you don't need any wires at all.

http://www.eye.fi/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

keith_d99 wrote: »
    No hacking involved ... http://bit.ly/vKA8Nf

Yes my smartypants but you are missing the point. Why should I have to go to the bother of learning spotify simply to do simple things like copy files to my device - something every device thats not an apple can do as standard for at least ten years.
    TheTwiz wrote: »
    When the iPad 3 launches, will it be the price that the iPad 2 is at the moment with the iPad 2 lowering in price on launch date?

Magic 8 ball says "How the hell am I supposed to know ?"

Thats their usual pricing strategy, but apply are nothing if not unpredictable - noone can tell you that until it happens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Yes my smartypants but you are missing the point. Why should I have to go to the bother of learning spotify simply to do simple things like copy files to my device - something every device thats not an apple can do as standard for at least ten years.

Thats their usual pricing strategy, but apply are nothing if not unpredictable - noone can tell you that until it happens

Meowww..

Wheres me handbag

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Btw, for the Camera example given earlier. You can use EyeFi and that way you don't need any wires at all.

http://www.eye.fi/

http://www.iphon.fr/post/apn-canon-wifi-iphone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Foreign TV without a satellite dish (or subscription)?

Can you tell me what app you use or how you go about doing this?

Well, there's dozens of them: I use M6, France Televisions, MyTF1, Direct 8, w9, Universal HD, SOTV HD, and many, many more.

Where appropriate, I use Overplay VPN or Playmo.

That Noone fella's amazing, he knows everything :D

What stations are you interested in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭McGrath5

What stations are you interested in?

Mainly French TV. It's not something I would use a lot, as between Netflix, 4od, RTE player and Filmon Plus I have enough to keep me occupied.

Mainly French TV. It's not something I would use a lot, as between Netflix, 4od, RTE player and Filmon Plus I have enough to keep me occupied.

There's a truly HORRIBLE app called LiveTV which will give you a lot of the national French channels. Full AirPlay and no need for a VPN but distinctly ugly and user-hostile.

OK so maybe I am not getting your argument but as I understand it you want a device where you must be able to plug in a cable into it in order to transfer files?

Do you not think such a system is dated and old? Everything is cloud these days.

For example I can download my songs to any of my devices at any time. As they are stored in the Apple cloud.

For those with more MP3s then from the store, if they want that feature (and in high def sound) they can just subscribe to the Apple streaming service. It reads your music files information in the cloud then hooks them to the best version of what you have.

As for other files apart from the already built in features you can also use something like Dropbox. Automatically syncs your files and allows you to open them in different applications.

Since iOS5 the need to tether with a wire is gone. My wifes iPad for example has never been sync'ed with a computer. Everything is up on the cloud.

OK so maybe I am not getting your argument but as I understand it you want a device where you must be able to plug in a cable into it in order to transfer files?

Do you not think such a system is dated and old? Everything is cloud these days.

For example I can download my songs to any of my devices at any time. As they are stored in the Apple cloud.

For those with more MP3s then from the store, if they want that feature (and in high def sound) they can just subscribe to the Apple streaming service. It reads your music files information in the cloud then hooks them to the best version of what you have.

As for other files apart from the already built in features you can also use something like Dropbox. Automatically syncs your files and allows you to open them in different applications.

Since iOS5 the need to tether with a wire is gone. My wifes iPad for example has never been sync'ed with a computer. Everything is up on the cloud.

Fair points.
    For me however the privacy trade off of using the cloud is not one I'm prepared to make. The amount of information creep in the last few years with apps, and google's changes etc etc is just scary - to actually place my data files in the care of a corporation is a step too far. I'm not the only one who feels this way either - I know many people from IT experts to novices with similar reasons for not using the cloud. Don't get me wrong I can see the practical attraction, particularly when it comes to bought media, but its a step too far when it comes to peronsal and work files if you ask me. A secondary reason is that I often find myself in places with no reception - I want all my data with me when i want it and not to be dependent on a net connection to access it.

Do I need wires ? No. But if not wires than wifi or nfc to transfer - but wires gonna be faster. (Again don't want to depend on an internet connection for this when in the sticks for example). Whats wrong with a cable ? They've served me well for years I see no need to go wireless.

Its not too much to ask to be able to have the convenience of dragging and dropping folders into a device without going through a slave-maker app is it ? Its only every device since they invented devices you could do this with.

• Advertisement

So for the OP

Fresh rumours ipad3 will be announced first week of March
    http://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/09/apple-to-introduce-ipad-3-in-first-week-of-march/

So definitely - wait before buying ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 8 alice302

there are many rumors of ipad 3, you may can have a look at them, in my point of view, you can get one now.

alice302 wrote: »
    there are many rumors of ipad 3, you may can have a look at them, in my point of view, you can get one now.

You can't get an ipad3 now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭BeeDI

If you have an iPad 2, you already have an iPad 3:o

Ipad 3 will be an iPad2.2 or so, called an iPad 3, and fed to the drooling masses, like a couple of cocktail sausages, after a feed of pints. They won't care what's in it, they will just swallow it:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

BeeDI wrote: »

Ipad 3 will be an iPad2.2 or so, called an iPad 3, and fed to the drooling masses, like a couple of cocktail sausages, after a feed of pints. They won't care what's in it, they will just swallow it:cool:

do you have a source for this info?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

dodzy wrote: »
    Not another "should i buy now or wait till later" thread. Jesus.

OP, Buy it now. You will not regret it. 100%.

Except you will regret it when the higher spec iPad 3 comes out.

Rubbish advice with the new model a couple of months away. At least wait and compare them if you don't feel you need the higher spec, go for the (ever so slightly) cheaper iPad 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,533 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think he meant don't wait and get iPad2 as he/she thinks there will be little difference between iPad 2 & 3

If was to buy an iPad 2 though I would definitely wait as it will drop in price when Ipad 3 comes out

Hate this rubbish, product is successful and popular and it means that the customers are all just stupid!
    Before iPad there was no choice of good tablets, and Apple are the standard setter in this segment despite what haters and Android fan-boys say.

Its widely expected that ipad3 will have a 'retina' display.

I gotta admit even as an apple skeptic that's very tempting and in no way a minor upgrade even if they didn't change anything else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Wrong imo. The ipad 3 will be more of a step up from 2 than 2 was from 1.

The rest of your post is just nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

al28283 wrote: »
    do you have a source for this info?

Yes, it comes straight from the rabbits at the controls in his head......:D

Advertisement