Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading: Reasons not to get an iPhone 4S

Options
  • 03-02-2012 1:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

I'm eligible for an upgrade and willing to pay money for a new phone. Currently have a Samsung Galaxy Ace and thinking about getting an iPhone 4S but wondering are there better options out there? I do like the Samsung OS so would be happy to stick with it. I mainly use my phone for social networking, taking photos and of course texting and calling. Any recommendations or should I wait a while to see what 2012 brings?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Galaxy S3 if your can wait, if you can't the Galaxy S2 eats the iphone4s for lunch.
    That samsung OS your refer to is Android, coming close to standard on every phone except iphone at the moment. The iPhone 5 is really going to have to be something really special or Samsung will win the Smartphone war. (I think they already have).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'd disagree with that.
    The Sony Xperia S which launches in the UK next month so Ireland will probably get it in the summer, looks like a serious bit of kit, 12MP camera with a quick capture, nice solid looking design, wouldn't rule them out. If you have to get a phone today, then the S2 would deffo be the one to go for, however there's some great stuff on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭PaulieC

If it's Social Networking and photos you are looking for, take a look at the Nokia Lumia 800. It's up there with the phones you mentioned. It has Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn built into the OS, so you don't need separate apps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

what Drunkmonkey says

if you are into tinkering around with devices the Galaxy is fantastic

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I'd recommend a WP7 phone. Easy to use, fully functional for what you need and without the issues that android has.

The iPhone is great, much better than any Android (that is my opinion only), but WP7 comes very close.

Unless of course you enjoy having full access to the internals of your phone, hacking the firmware, sideloading apps and the rest... in that case get an Android.

If you enjoy ease of use, fast and fluid interface, solid stable phone and quality hardware then go WP7 or iOS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

iOS, Android and WP7 all have their negatives and positives.

iOS is simple, standardized, locked down and user friendly but boring and limited, one choice in device, expensive for what you get but the best app support and development.

Android is complex but rewarding, the best choice of devices offering the most powerful spec, more freedom, fast, well supported, excellent community, good choice of apps, issues with different versions on different devices and with manufacturer and carrier ROMS being unstable.

WP7, nice and slick but still way behind iOS and Android in terms of so many things, lack of apps, lack of developers, lack of device choice, the OS still lacks a lot of functionality and its not quite the finished article yet. Having said that it's relatively new and reading up on further releases things look more promising.

So only really the OP can do their research, make up their mind based on that and pick a device then. If I was in the same situation and money was no object I'd go for the iPhone 4S first, wait for the SGS III second and look into a Lumia third.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭To Alcohol

Have an S2 myself and it's about the worst phone I've ever had. To run any sort of app will eat the battery and it's dropping calls on a fairly regular basis. I've to shut it down and re start it. It's downright unreliable.

To Alcohol wrote: »
    Have an S2 myself and it's about the worst phone I've ever had. To run any sort of app will eat the battery and it's dropping calls on a fairly regular basis. I've to shut it down and re start it. It's downright unreliable.

Strange, there's loads of S2 users who don't experience any of that including myself, the battery is actually better than my previous S1 and not far off the iPhone 4 I have in work. Dropped calls I've never heard of.

Why haven't you brought it back and got it replaced? Would seem like something you should do?

EDIT: Have you also been careful what you've installed? A badly designed app can drain battery without even doing much, also one of the drawbacks about Android is that apps aren't qualified by Google like Apple and Microsoft so badly designed apps can make it into the marketplace. Something that would be good to change!

If its dropping calls you would be entitled to a replacement or to change the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

If you're looking for Apps then its Apple, if you're looking to tinker/customize then its the Android, if your looking for the best smoothest OS then its Windows Phone. All the phones will do want you are looking for so if you want to see how they work on each phone just look on youtube to see how each of them perform.

One thing to look out for with Android is its rapidly increasing malware. It jumped up a massive 472% from July to November!!! :eek: That would put me right off.

http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/android-malware-472-percent-seeing-fastest-growth-ever-111511

AntiVirus wrote: »
    One thing to look out for with Android is its rapidly increasing malware. It jumped up a massive 472% from July to November!!! :eek: That would put me right off.

http://threatpost.com/en_us/blogs/android-malware-472-percent-seeing-fastest-growth-ever-111511

Not really as big an issue as its made out to be, Google fairly quickly remove malware apps and it's like everything in life if you have any amount of common sense you won't be in a position to let yourself get affected by it.

Having said that I would like to see Google adopt Apple and Microsofts approval process and clean up the Market. I'm looking forward to MS testing my app and seeing what they say :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

draffodx wrote: »
    Not really as big an issue as its made out to be, Google fairly quickly remove malware apps and it's like everything in life if you have any amount of common sense you won't be in a position to let yourself get affected by it.

Unfortunately normal Joe Soaps don't have this level of common sense when it comes to phones.
    draffodx wrote: »
    Having said that I would like to see Google adopt Apple and Microsofts approval process and clean up the Market. I'm looking forward to MS testing my app and seeing what they say :D

I'd like to see Google be more stringent too, for the marketplace anyway. Leave people do whatever they want with sideloading but if marketplace is tightened down then regular people won't get malware.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

They have a new yoke called Bouncer scanning all apps now.

Advertisement