Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DIT Email Recepient Display.. I don`t want D12345678@mydit.ie I want name.surname@etc

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭richard2010

Hi,

When i send emails to people it says its from D12345678@mydit.ie

I want it to display name.surname@student.dit.ie ..ie. question.quick@student.dit.ie.... I think this looks more professional (for research)

Anybody know how to configure this?

Thanks..

See steps below:

When I log in to the new email system i notice that my email address is in the following format studentnumber@mydit.ie . How do I change this to firstname.lastname@mydit.ie?
    1. Sign in to your Google Apps account.
    2. Click the gear icon in the upper-right and select Gmail settings along the top of any page, and select the Accounts tab.
    3. Under Send mail as, click Add another email address.
    4. In the Email address field, enter your name and alternate email address.
    5. Click Next Step >> and then click Send Verification. Gmail will send a verification message to your other email address to confirm that you own it.
    6. Locate the message from Gmail. Open it and and either click the link contained in the message or enter the confirmation code in the Accounts section of your Google Apps email settings.
    Once the account has been added it will show up in a drop down menu when you are composing a mail.
    To make it the default from address:
    1. Sign in to your Google Apps account.
    2. Click the gear icon in the upper-right and select Gmail settings along the top of any page, and select the Accounts tab.
    3. Under Send mail as, click Make Default next to the address you want to be the new default from address.
    Taken from here: http://www.dit.ie/services/is/student/email/faqs/

Hope you get sorted!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

- snip -

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

Threads Merged

Maybe do a quick search in future quickquestion

purely curious, when is it ok to resurrect a thread? Is there a set amount of time? If it was me I'd have started a new thread about this new issue to, so just trying to learn! I'd see it as not a general comment about the new email, but a separate query on an almost 6 month old system, which I would have thought warranted a new thread, but perhaps not...? Should one always go to this thread with any DIT mail queries?

alexlyons wrote: »
    purely curious, when is it ok to resurrect a thread? Is there a set amount of time? If it was me I'd have started a new thread about this new issue to, so just trying to learn! I'd see it as not a general comment about the new email, but a separate query on an almost 6 month old system, which I would have thought warranted a new thread, but perhaps not...? Should one always go to this thread with any DIT mail queries?

To be perfectly honest with you, I'm gonna sincerely apologise now. I intended to merge it with a different thread which answered the question.

To answer your question though, it's different throughout boards on all the different forums. The likes of After Hours don't like resurrections at all, but then on Infrastructure, for example, they will only have one thread on any given issue. On DIT, we don't really have an official policy on it, there's nothing in the charter about it (maybe there should be). The way I would see it, is if there is already a thread about any issue, then you should continue that one on, but if it was a step away from that issue, then go ahead and start a new one.

As I said, I only merged these two because I though I was merging it with a different thread that had answered the OPs question, so apologies again guys

Just as an FYI, I found the thread I was thinking of. It was actually a post in the Definitive Guide to DIT Thread, I just remembered this thread and assumed it was in here.

There's a lot of handy info in that thread actually!

Edit: Thread back on it's own now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

To be perfectly honest with you, I'm gonna sincerely apologise now. I intended to merge it with a different thread which answered the question.

To answer your question though, it's different throughout boards on all the different forums. The likes of After Hours don't like resurrections at all, but then on Infrastructure, for example, they will only have one thread on any given issue. On DIT, we don't really have an official policy on it, there's nothing in the charter about it (maybe there should be). The way I would see it, is if there is already a thread about any issue, then you should continue that one on, but if it was a step away from that issue, then go ahead and start a new one.

As I said, I only merged these two because I though I was merging it with a different thread that had answered the OPs question, so apologies again guys

Fair play, I get what you mean, and sure not even mods are perfect :P

To be fair to you guys, that's twice in about a week iv commented to mods about a decision to move a thread (the first one was my thread, I don't go hunting for poor decisions! :) ) and both of you have taken the feedback on board really well. I've seen a lot of anti mod posts since I've been on here (generally in prison actually so maybe that explains it) and also rude modding, but its nice to see it done pleasantly :)

keep up the good work!

alexlyons wrote: »
    Fair play, I get what you mean, and sure not even mods are perfect :P

To be fair to you guys, that's twice in about a week iv commented to mods about a decision to move a thread (the first one was my thread, I don't go hunting for poor decisions! :) ) and both of you have taken the feedback on board really well. I've seen a lot of anti mod posts since I've been on here (generally in prison actually so maybe that explains it) and also rude modding, but its nice to see it done pleasantly :)

keep up the good work!

This is the last I'll post on this issue, but just so you're aware, there is a site wide ban on questioning a Moderator's decision on thread, so I wouldn't be questioning it very often if I were you.

That's not to say you can't question our decisions. We are all more than happy to justify (or if needs be reverse) our decisions, but it should be done by PM.

The reasoning behind this is that it drags threads off topic (as it has done with this one). As the original question has been answered, and I don't want this to turn into a Q&A about mod decisions, I'm going to lock this thread now.

If you've any more comments or queries, feel free to PM me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement