Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to access streaming USA geolocked content on your idevice for free

• 03-02-2012 2:51am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭

I just discovered a new service called Playmo that lets you change a DNS setting so you can watch/listen to USA streaming content without needing to fire up a vpn and more importantly for free. It works for spotify, pandora, netflix, nbc and abc apps and more too I'm sure. I'm really impressed. It's much smoother and faster than my blackvpn so far. It can be used on your PC and other gadgets too.

Its free atm as it is in beta. It will be a pay for service after the beta is done but you can refer friends now and earn some free time for the future.

My referal link is here : http://playmo.tv/

I don't want to be starting a referal thing here, its just its a genuinely good service and there often is interest here in finding a service like this , hard to pass up a decent freebie.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If you don't want to start a referral thing then why not just post a direct link. Looks to me like your spamming this site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

ted1 wrote: »
    If you don't want to start a referral thing then why not just post a direct link. Looks to me like your spamming this site.

:rolleyes:

Cheers whimsical, just popped the DNS details onto my ipad and we're off again. Good man. Why dont you post it over on the 2 netflix threads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Nah, looks like you're wrong. Nice one OP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I have over 2000 posts here Ted, im not about to start spamming now.It's a genuinely good service so I thought I'd share as I usually do when I find something I like,if you look through my posts on this forum you'll see that is the case. I appreciate all I've learned and found out from this forum so i presume other people like to find a recommendation here too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

Thanks op how does one get Hulu on atv2? Pm me if ya like thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭ted1

If you genuninely didn't want to go for a referral why did you try to hide it in the first link??

why not link straight to www.playmo.tv ??

If you genuninely didn't want to go for a referral why did you try to hide it in the first link??

why not link straight to www.playmo.tv ??

I copied and pasted.If you look it adds to your clipboard on the site,copying and pasting twice was a click too far at 2am. There's nothing to stop anyone else adding their link here if they want,that's why I mentioned it at all,not to hog referrals. I meant i had started the thread to inform people of the service not with an intention to start a referral thread,however what business is it of yours what I or anyone else does so long as its legit and everyone wins?
    It's not the work of an evil mastermind I assure you though.

Let's not ruin the thread by going more off topic. if you have anymore problems I'll welcome a PM anytime:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Thanks op, working on iPad and 4s.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 karljd

I just discovered a new service called Playmo that lets you change a DNS setting so you can watch/listen to USA streaming content without needing to fire up a vpn and more importantly for free. It works for spotify, pandora, netflix, nbc and abc apps and more too I'm sure. I'm really impressed. It's much smoother and faster than my blackvpn so far. It can be used on your PC and other gadgets too.

Its free atm as it is in beta. It will be a pay for service after the beta is done but you can refer friends now and earn some free time for the future.

My referal link is here : http://playmo.tv/?ref=kcac

I don't want to be starting a referal thing here, its just its a genuinely good service and there often is interest here in finding a service like this , hard to pass up a decent freebie.
    Thanks, watching gangs of new york on hulu.Fair play to ya.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Do you still have to pay a US Netflix subscription tho?

• Advertisement

eeloe wrote: »
    Do you still have to pay a US Netflix subscription tho?

I think you can pay the Irish subscription fee and with this you get the US Netflix catalogue. There's plenty info on the bargain alerts forum thread about Netflix and how it works with services like this. You can also get a free trial of amazon.com video rental service I think. It maybe worth looking into too.:)

I can confirm that paying the irish subscription gets you the american catalog using your current log on details.

Fantastic. It makes the irish catalog look sh!t!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭dodzy

eeloe wrote: »
    I can confirm that paying the irish subscription gets you the american catalog using your current log on details.

Fantastic. It makes the irish catalog look sh!t!
    Jeez eeloe, you are late getting to the races. Im surprised at you! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Wow, brilliant. Thanks OP.

I may be extending that one month netflix trial after all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Working on my Mac! :D

Nice one OP, all the benefits of a VPN without the drop in speeds, class!!

Any idea how long it will be free and what it'll eventually cost?

dodzy wrote: »
    Jeez eeloe, you are late getting to the races. Im surprised at you! :D

I know, shocked with myself to be honest, just been busy the last while, and let's face it, I was a big mega upload user! :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Not for me I'm afraid as no iPlayer yet:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I didn't sign up but had a look at the apple tv set up and entered the dns and it just worked. Didn't follow the instructions of disconnecting and such.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

How long do it take for you to become an approved user once you have signed up!Signed up yesterday for 2 accounts and still not received an email with login details!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

How long do it take for you to become an approved user once you have signed up!Signed up yesterday for 2 accounts and still not received an email with login details!

Just enter this into your wifi settings in your d.n.s on any device and it will work.",
    a49daa0c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

What can this be used for assuming that I'm not signed up to Netflix or paying for any other content on the internet?

Thanks.

Not a hell of a lot....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 472 ✭✭crapmanjoe

Is there any similar service for people living in the US who want to stream content from Rte player / TV3 player

I have an apple tv but you cant setup a VPN service on a apple tv so im kind of out of ideas.

kraggy wrote: »
    What can this be used for assuming that I'm not signed up to Netflix or paying for any other content on the internet?

Thanks.

Actually quite a bit. If you set it up on your iPad etc or laptop etc it gives you access to content from several US geo locked sites. Examples valid for idevices being ABC,NBC,CBS, they all have this seasons shows streaming on apps, so that's big bang theory,modern family,30 rock etc. Also there is spotify (the free one) and Pandora music app that is very popular. They're all things lots of people were paying for a VPN to access up until now. I'm sure there's more out there too.

You need a US iTunes account to get these apps but that's extremely easy to set up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

Actually quite a bit. If you set it up on your iPad etc or laptop etc it gives you access to content from several US geo locked sites. Examples valid for idevices being ABC,NBC,CBS, they all have this seasons shows streaming on apps, so that's big bang theory,modern family,30 rock etc. Also there is spotify (the free one) and Pandora music app that is very popular. They're all things lots of people were paying for a VPN to access up until now. I'm sure there's more out there too.

You need a US iTunes account to get these apps but that's extremely easy to set up.

I tried the NBC app on my ipad through playmo and it didnt work. i think its the network websites rather than the apps that work, but i'm not sure why.

I tried the NBC app on my ipad through playmo and it didnt work. i think its the network websites rather than the apps that work, but i'm not sure why.

That's odd. It worked for me over the weekend as did ABC and CBS. I'll try them again later when I get a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

If I change to the correct DNS settings, do I not also need to download the US app version of Netflix? Getting a new US account etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

grizzly wrote: »
    If I change to the correct DNS settings, do I not also need to download the US app version of Netflix? Getting a new US account etc?

No, Netflix is universal. It shows you content from the country it thinks you're in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

mad muffin wrote: »
    No, Netflix is universal. It shows you content from the country it thinks you're in.

Thanks, yeah I just had to restart to get it working.

• Advertisement

I updated my NBC app and it no longer works with playmo. Disappointing.
    Le sigh!
    The others all seem to be working though.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement