Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I take another year out before college?

• 03-02-2012 2:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Ok so I decided to take a year out this year but I couldn't find ANY work so I'm now doing honors maths for the leaving cert.
    I'm 17 now (18 in may)so I figured I'd be too young and to take my Biomedical engineering course seriously. I'm bored out of my box here and my sister in australia suggested I go out to Brisbane for a year.
    I'm wondering is this wise? I'm not going to leave until I sit my maths exam and secure my course so maybe this august?
    This got me thinking because I would really like to to another country be-it Australia or Canada or somewhere else. I think it would be great for me personally as I could actually learn to get my independence and experience the world.
    I would appreciate any advice or suggestions!
    Thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

This is really a decision only you can make for yourself. What I would say though is, you might become comfortable in Australlia and think about applying to stay longer. Do whatever makes you happy, and I put an emphasis on happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

What's to say you won't get bored in Australia? Why don't you just start college? If you start now you'll at least have a goal to work towards and after a year you'll be 1/4 of the way finished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭mcpaddington

I'm 17 now (18 in may)so I figured I'd be too young and to take my Biomedical engineering course seriously.

Your older than me and others I know that are sitting the leaving this year, I'll be 18 the week before college starts...

Your older than me and others I know that are sitting the leaving this year, I'll be 18 the week before college starts...
    You don't have to be old to take your course seriously. If you can take the LC seriously, you can take college seriously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 THEMRMONGOOSE

I did the LC last year. I got a B1 in pass maths so I just decided to do honors maths in order to have the requirements for NUIG Biomed engineering. A lot of my friends that did ty turned 19 before college, so I don't think me being 19 four months before college would be an issue.
    Its just that I want to go away for a year and I'm playing up the pros and cons of it all and I'd appreciate the help doing so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭KKBL

You'd be better of getting your degree now and then going abroad after or possibly on erasmus? TBH 19 is a bit old going into collge when most most first years are 17/18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Do you actually want to go to college? Is Biomedicine what you want to do for the rest of your life?

Maths is a huge part of any course like that, complex maths. You say you're taking honours maths again. Is it a struggle?

Going to Australia may give you a completely different perspective on life, you may never come back.

If I haven't made you question whether you want to do the course, then you should probably start college, if you are happy with the idea of never coming back from Australia, then go to Australia.

If you still don't know then you have some thinking to do, but to be honest, what I think or what anyone thinks is irrelevant. You have to make decisions for yourself, forget about what other people think or what other people (parents) want you to be/do with your life, do what you want to do with your life.

ninty9er wrote: »
    Do you actually want to go to college? Is Biomedicine what you want to do for the rest of your life?

Maths is a huge part of any course like that, complex maths. You say you're taking honours maths again. Is it a struggle?
    Biomedical sciences and other health science courses have hardly any Maths at all. It's usually a single module thrown in somewhere over the duration of the course with nothing too far removed from LC HL Maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Biomed engineering in NUIG does have a lot of maths in it. It isn't really have a health science course, although there's anatomy and some physiology I think.

Biomedical engineering has little to do with Biomedical science. The first is just an Engineering specialty and the second is purely scientific.

• Advertisement
Advertisement