Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed!

Options
  • 03-02-2012 7:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

What's up guys, longtime lurker and I'm in need of a bit of advice and information.

Long story short is that our landlord has given us a week to vacate the premises(under questionable circumstances).In a way we are glad because he has been pretty awful to us over the months, we just stuck it out cause of the location.

The reason I'm asking is that the lads are suggesting we just go before the week is out. That would leave a weeks rent due to him and they are talking about not paying it to him and instead use the money for hostel/bond on new place. I would be in favor of getting one over on him but I am worried about the legalities of the situation considering he has copies of our passports.

I was wondering what type of situation we would be facing in the short and long term if we took this course of action, mostly so I can persuade them not to go ahead with it.

I'll be grateful for anything ye can offer, I'm also aware of boards strict guidelines so pm me if neccessary because I am quiet anxious about this situation.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Have you signed a lease agreement?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 OzzieDub

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Have you signed a lease agreement?

We did sign a pretty basic residential agreement form, just general information and what not. Nothing that applies to this situation or anything that stated we would live there for a set amount of time. I'd imagine the notice we got would cancel out the agreement since it's his choice.

My biggest fear would be that when I'm in the airport down the line or apply for a bill phone or something using my passport then this will creep back up and I'll be in trouble regarding courts etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Where are you ? What state like

Did you give a bond is it held by the bond authority?

How do you pay him/her?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

OzzieDub wrote: »
    We did sign a pretty basic residential agreement form, just general information and what not. Nothing that applies to this situation or anything that stated we would live there for a set amount of time. I'd imagine the notice we got would cancel out the agreement since it's his choice.

My biggest fear would be that when I'm in the airport down the line or apply for a bill phone or something using my passport then this will creep back up and I'll be in trouble regarding courts etc...

If there's no formal agreement (i.e. with a bond etc) then I'm fairly sure there's nothing to stop you walking away just as easily as he shortened your notice.

Zambia wrote: »
    Where are you ? What state like

Did you give a bond is it held by the bond authority?

How do you pay him/her?

In Victoria(Melbourne), he has the bond but we are writing that off as it can cover the cost owed but as I'm aware a bond is separate to rent and we could technically still be in trouble.

We pay weekly with cash.

The simple solution is he has the bond, but he is an awful person and can't see him accepting that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Hi you should talk to these guys

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/housing-and-accommodation/renting/rental-bond-and-condition-report/residential-tenancies-bond-authority

In essence if you are in dispute they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Zambia wrote: »
    Hi you should talk to these guys

http://www.consumer.vic.gov.au/housing-and-accommodation/renting/rental-bond-and-condition-report/residential-tenancies-bond-authority

In essence if you are in dispute they should be able to point you in the right direction.

Will do man, cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 loueeeeeez

Your bond is like a deposit, How much bond is it? are you guys better of waiting the week and getting your bond back, is it more than your weekly rent. If ya's havent trashed the place i wouldnt worry you can go, dont let him be the one better off by keeping your bond if its more than a weeks rent!!

Advertisement