Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Yeast Infection and Staining

• 03-02-2012 7:59am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭

My dog seems to have terrible problems with the yeast and subsequent staining. His cheeks are stained, as are his paws, although the paws aren't as bad.

I feed him Burns as this is the only food he likes and agrees with him. He gets fish with brown rice once a week, and hearts once a week.

He's had facial staining before but managed to get rid of it with chamomile tea. But this yeast seems to be super strength!! I got a tear stain remover from Christies which seems to be doing some good, but it's slow going.

He does have a known allergy to grass which flares up a couple of times a year, affecting his ears badly. Vet gives him a shot, some Prednisolone and he's OK again. I only give him the Prednisolone when he's really bad, as I don't want to keep giving the dog steroids if I don't have to.

I do make up a wash of a couple of drops each of tea tree oil/lavender oil with some warm water to wash his paws, but I only do this spring/summer.

Would this be any good for him now given the mild winter we've had so far?

Is there any other natural remedy I can try before going for the Final Solution (the vet!!)?

TIA :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Bump! Anyone able to help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

Read this :http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/05/03/eating-these-foods-can-make-your-dog-itch-like-crazy.aspx

It seems to describe your situation, I think a vet might recommend an anti-fungal of some kind, but I can't say for certain.

Hope it helps a little.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Just read that article. Very interesting reading it is too!

Thanks for that Vince!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭no1girliegirl

You could put your dog on to Robbies Land of holistic dog foods or Natutres Menu RAW diet, these diets seem to be great for this and skin and digest problems in Dogs and cats. I have used it Land of holistic Luaths chicken and Rice and it is great.

You could give some probiotic yogurt a few times a week Probiotics are great for yeast infections. Or another option is to use some daktarin cream or powder on his paws, just be careful not to put into his eyes if using on his face, we used it before on a Cat with Ringworm and it works a treat.

Advertisement