Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone - 24mb service - How is it?

• 03-02-2012 9:08am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭

My exchange is not NGB enabled but can support 24mb service

I am currently on UTV but they don't offer any residential 24mb service so I have to jump ship.

I believe the 24mb non NGB is 48:1 to contention.

Here are my line stats
    ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 7616 kbps 672 kbps
    Line Attenuation 8.0 db 14.0 db
    Noise Margin 12 db 7.5 db

I see a lot of scary reviews of vodafone after the BT take over. Have things improved... Are there any sastified customers out there???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

if its not ngb it wont get 24mb

you'll be lucky to get 8mb at best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Xcellor wrote: »
    My exchange is not NGB enabled but can support 24mb service

I am currently on UTV but they don't offer any residential 24mb service so I have to jump ship.

I believe the 24mb non NGB is 48:1 to contention.

Here are my line stats
    ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
    Connection Speed 7616 kbps 672 kbps
    Line Attenuation 8.0 db 14.0 db
    Noise Margin 12 db 7.5 db

I see a lot of scary reviews of vodafone after the BT take over. Have things improved... Are there any sastified customers out there???

What exchange are you on. Sounds like you could be on an LLU exchange. If thats the case then with those statsyou should be able to get 24 mb or almost 24 mb.

Dont worry about congestion at DSLAM level BT's network is very healthy at themoment. Can't comment in regards Vodafone's core network as I have never used them myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,806 ✭✭✭Xcellor

if its not ngb it wont get 24mb

you'll be lucky to get 8mb at best.

I've already checked with several ISP and they have told me my line is capable of 24mb but is not NGB. I was confused because I thought NGB = 24mb but apparently not.

Vodafone says I should get around 16mb but since I am close enough to exchange I might get faster.

I am on Newtownforbes RSU (just outside longford town)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Xcellor wrote: »
    I've already checked with several ISP and they have told me my line is capable of 24mb but is not NGB. I was confused because I thought NGB = 24mb but apparently not.

Vodafone says I should get around 16mb but since I am close enough to exchange I might get faster.

I am on Newtownforbes RSU (just outside longford town)

I see, well NTF is not an LLu exchange so whatever service they are offering is not LineSharing. Your line should be capable of 24 mb but this will depend on the DSLAM type at the exchange. If Vodafone have confirmed you can get up to 16 mb I assume that this is because they have run a prequal on your line (like a pre - test of your line potential speeds) and the result brought that back.

Get that in writting just in case.

Also can't say how cogested that exchange is as Eircom's internal network is different as far as I know, also, I dont know if that exchange has congestion issues too, so sorry for confusing you!

Advertisement