Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 PDC World Cup Of Darts Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭robfullam

Wade is a arrogant ****! lost the tiny bit of respect i did have for him after he gave the irish crowd the middle finger in 2010! Mr. I Have No Personality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

robfullam wrote: »
    Wade is a arrogant ****! lost the tiny bit of respect i did have for him after he gave the irish crowd the middle finger in 2010! Mr. I Have No Personality

Arrogant **** he is not, way of the mark with that description there.

He has had a lot personal demons to battle with, alot of which he has to be commended for coming out and talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

leggo wrote: »

Surprised by the reaction to Lewis. It was a serious dick move by Nicholson to not sign the board. And it's a sign of the consideration for the fans Adrian has to take it so seriously. I like Nicholson, personally, you need characters like him (that can back their talk up) to make things interesting in the Darts world post-Manley...but that was not cool.

I dont get this attitude towards nicholson he was absolutely gutted and lewis and taylor were looking for him to sign the board immediately after the match..why not let him calm down first? Lewis was totally out of order and you could clearly see him call nicholson a "f**king knob" a few times. Zero class shown from taylor or lewis up on the stage in that moment...they are as much to blame for engineering that situation in my opinion and could just as easily waited till the presentations were done before looking for nicholson to sign the board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Jaysoose wrote: »

Surprised by the reaction to Lewis. It was a serious dick move by Nicholson to not sign the board. And it's a sign of the consideration for the fans Adrian has to take it so seriously. I like Nicholson, personally, you need characters like him (that can back their talk up) to make things interesting in the Darts world post-Manley...but that was not cool.

I dont get this attitude towards nicholson he was absolutely gutted and lewis and taylor were looking for him to sign the board immediately after the match..why not let him calm down first? Lewis was totally out of order and you could clearly see him call nicholson a "f**king knob" a few times. Zero class shown from taylor or lewis up on the stage in that moment...they are as much to blame for engineering that situation in my opinion and could just as easily waited till the presentations were done before looking for nicholson to sign the board.
    Nobody likes a sore loser.
    Whitlock took it like a man with dinity and he would have been just as gutted.

Most players shake hands,hug,even kiss if your Adrian Lewis after a match whether they win or lose.
    It's respect for your opponent of which Nicholson has none.

A f**kin knob is putting it mildly to him,if I was Lewis I would have signed wanker beside the 3 names that did go on the board.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Nobody likes a sore loser.
    Whitlock took it like a man with dinity and he would have been just as gutted.

Most players shake hands,hug,even kiss if your Adrian Lewis after a match whether they win or lose.
    It's respect for your opponent of which Nicholson has none.

A f**kin knob is putting it mildly to him,if I was Lewis I would have signed wanker beside the 3 names that did go on the board.[/QUOTE]

Lewis is the world champion and calling a fellow pro a "F**kin knob" on live tv shows absolutely no respect either but its ok for him to do it is it?

he did shake their hands the point i made was it would have been just as easy for them to let the dust settle then get the board signed, they chose to do it immediately after the match when nicholson was clearly rattled.

I for one welcome the fact that nicholson is a bad loser it shows he wants to improve and win things, he could manage it better but is obviously an emotional person.

The bit in bold makes absolutely no sense by the way.

• Advertisement

The bit in bold makes absolutely no sense by the way.
    Taylor gets the board signed immediately after almost every match to give to someone in the crowd,nobody else seems to mind doing it after they're beaten.

And what don't you understand,as Nicholson wouldn't sign it I would have just wrote wanker in instead.

Taylor gets the board signed immediately after almost every match to give to someone in the crowd,nobody else seems to mind doing it after they're beaten.

And what don't you understand,as Nicholson wouldn't sign it I would have just wrote wanker in instead.

So what if thats what taylor does thats his own lookout and nothing to do with nicholson, doesnt change the fact that it was easier to wait a few minutes.

Are you going to comment on lewis's complete lack of respect or is it just nicholson that gets stick for this?

It doesnt make an sense if you think about it who would want a board that had "wanker" written on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Why has everybody got to sign the board because Taylor says so?
    If Nicholson took his glasses off and expected everyone to sign them after he won, should that be the norm?

Nicholson would have signed that board once he got over the disappointment. To be shoving it in his face to sign straight away was wrong, and to attack him on stage was worse.

Real tuggary, and a bad example to any children watching that sport.

[
    So what if thats what taylor does thats his own lookout and nothing to do with nicholson, doesnt change the fact that it was easier to wait a few minutes.

Are you going to comment on lewis's complete lack of respect or is it just nicholson that gets stick for this?

It doesnt make an sense if you think about it who would want a board that had "wanker" written on it.
    That was what I would have done,not Lewis.

If Nicholson behaves like a normal civilized person and signs the board then Lewis doesn't have to say anything.

You're argument is based on Nicholson being like that in the heat of the moment so why not afford that understanding to Lewis??
    Why does he have to take a step back and think about what he's saying??

They're rhetorical questions btw.
    I'm not arguing this anymore,we obviously have different views on it and we'll just end up going around in circles.

That was what I would have done,not Lewis.

If Nicholson behaves like a normal civilized person and signs the board then Lewis doesn't have to say anything.

You're argument is based on Nicholson being like that in the heat of the moment so why not afford that understanding to Lewis??
    Why does he have to take a step back and think about what he's saying??

They're rhetorical questions btw.
    I'm not arguing this anymore,we obviously have different views on it and we'll just end up going around in circles.

Its not a normal situation though is it? Im not arguing by the way my view is based on more than just being nicholson in the heat of the moment, taylor could have waited to get the board signed which would have been the easiest and most sensible thing to do. When nicholson refused they could have said lets do it in a bit and moved on but Lewis decided to start calling him every name under the sun and showed zero class on stage along with taylor. Obviously people have a dislike for nicholson and in fairness its brought on himself in the way he acts up to the cameras but in this case taylor and especially lewis were bang out of order.

Im not surprised we can have different views on this because you obviously dont like nicholson which is probably why you havent even acknowledged that lewis as world champion standing on stage in front of live tv cameras and calling a fellow professional a "fuc*ing knob" is completely out of order and saying lewis shouldnt have to say anything is justifying his classless behaviour.

• Advertisement

I've said earlier in the thread I used to like Nicholson and I have defended him before.
    There comes a time when you just have to say enough is enough.

He's making a fool of himself all the time.
    I don't mind the whole badboy image,it's immature but I can live with him playing up to that.
    He just oversteps the mark too often.

I've said earlier in the thread I used to like Nicholson and I have defended him before.
    There comes a time when you just have to say enough is enough.

He's making a fool of himself all the time.
    I don't mind the whole badboy image,it's immature but I can live with him playing up to that.
    He just oversteps the mark too often.

What about lewis's behaviour?

Best not carry on i cant agree with your view on the incident i didnt see him make a fool of himself at all he was gutted. Are we saying that people being upset for losing is wrong or something?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

What a ridiculous thing to say. I do not like Nicholson at all, I think he is incredibly arrogant and doesn't have the darts skills to back it up. He did absolutely nothing wrong after the final though and how you could possibly think he is a sore loser I'll never understand. He was clearly upset after losing but he still shook hands with both opponents which is all anyone should be expected to do. Why would anyone smile and hug their opponent after just losing a final? I know for a fact I wouldn't be smiling or kissing my opponent after losing. I would be devestated. I would sign the board after the presentation but to if it was thrust in my face and demanded that I sign it I wouldn't be happy at all. No player should be expected to sign a board just because Taylor says so.

Nicholson is a very arrogant and unlikable person but he did nothing wrong on Sunday whatsoever.

Kingp35 wrote: »

What a ridiculous thing to say. I do not like Nicholson at all, I think he is incredibly arrogant and doesn't have the darts skills to back it up. He did absolutely nothing wrong after the final though and how you could possibly think he is a sore loser I'll never understand. He was clearly upset after losing but he still shook hands with both opponents which is all anyone should be expected to do. Why would anyone smile and hug their opponent after just losing a final? I know for a fact I wouldn't be smiling or kissing my opponent after losing. I would be devestated. I would sign the board after the presentation but to if it was thrust in my face and demanded that I sign it I wouldn't be happy at all. No player should be expected to sign a board just because Taylor says so.

Nicholson is a very arrogant and unlikable person but he did nothing wrong on Sunday whatsoever.
    In your opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 563 ✭✭✭buster180

adrian.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

I think it's disrespectful for darts players, or any other sports stars/celebs, to refuse to sign anything when they're on professional duty. They're in a very privileged position, earning a lot of money that the fans put in their pocket (one way or another: even sponsorship is given on the basis that people's products will be advertised to a large market). So they owe a debt of gratitude to the fans, as a result, to stay professional whether they win or lose. Fair enough, losing hurts, but for god's sake swallow your pride for a minute and sign an autograph.

The fact that he willingly turned around and said "No" to signing an autograph shows him up to be disrespectful, unappreciative and unprofessional. That has nothing to do with being hurt for losing a match. And I can't believe there's even a debate about this. It was a dick move, simple as.

I have to believe that people criticising either don't generally like Lewis or were looking for an excuse to criticise him post-match. His anger was out of consideration for the fans...what a bastard. Next he'll be donating money to charity and helping little old ladies across the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,502 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I think it's disrespectful for darts players, or any other sports stars/celebs, to refuse to sign anything when they're on professional duty. They're in a very privileged position, earning a lot of money that the fans put in their pocket (one way or another: even sponsorship is given on the basis that people's products will be advertised to a large market). So they owe a debt of gratitude to the fans, as a result, to stay professional whether they win or lose. Fair enough, losing hurts, but for god's sake swallow your pride for a minute and sign an autograph.

The fact that he willingly turned around and said "No" to signing an autograph shows him up to be disrespectful, unappreciative and unprofessional. That has nothing to do with being hurt for losing a match. And I can't believe there's even a debate about this. It was a dick move, simple as.

I have to believe that people criticising either don't generally like Lewis or were looking for an excuse to criticise him post-match. His anger was out of consideration for the fans...what a bastard. Next he'll be donating money to charity and helping little old ladies across the road.

His 'professional duty' was to do a handshake, then stick around on stage for the presentation and a 30 second fluff interview. He did his 'professional duty'.

As for a duty to 'sign anything', I'd actually agree with you that he should sign a bit of paper if some kid doorsteps him on the way to the dressing room. It would be bad show not to. However when its your opponent(s) insisting you sign something then I don't see that he is under any obligation to do so.

I'm struggling to think of any other sport where what Taylor does is the norm.
    Robbie Keane insisting the Estonian keeper signs the match ball, not going to happen. Mayweather ripping up the bit of the ring where he knocked out Hatton and expecting him to sign it, not going to happen.

I'm surprised Taylor hasn't been told to stop it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

The easiest solution to this problem not occurring again is to ban for good the signing of dartboards up on stage after games. Get the dartboards signed off stage well after the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭Dartgod

dartbhoy wrote: »
    The easiest solution to this problem not occurring again is to ban for good the signing of dartboards up on stage after games. Get the dartboards signed off stage well after the game.

I agree 100%, dartbhoy !

Check out Dartoid's report on the PDC World Cup - http://www.dartoidsworld.com/columns/HR65.html

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Tonplus

Just watched this om youtube..And all im gona say is that im finding it very hard to warm to any of the modern dart throwers..A few of the dutch lads are ok .

I have to agree with the comments on youtube about the sooner Taylor retires the Better..I really dont like the cut of the man..You have to respect all hes done..But he really does think he is something..Darts as a Game is steeped in Working Class traditions'with hard working men making a name for themselfs in the darting world..Something tells me taylor never done a hard days work in his life..I would love to have him and lewis out labouring to me for a day..They wouldnt look so pompous and cocky after a couple of hours..!!

Dont like lewis either' but nicholson in my opinion acted a complete Dick' Hes a grown man for Godsake..Whitlock was gutted aswell but you didnt see him acting like that..He also punched the wall.. No one likes getting beat and no doubt it means a lot to them and emotions are high..But they are some tossers in the game' that cant take defeat graciously..mervyn king being high on the list of them..I liked the lakeside this year' with the likes of Yan decker if thats how its spelt lifting his opponents arm in the air after he himself got beat..that was commendable and showed respect and Class and sportsman like behaviour..More of that wouldnt go Amiss.

• Advertisement

Sometimes a post comes on boards where i have to read it a few times to make sure i didnt imagine it.

You say its his professional duty (whatever this is) to sign a board thrust in his face by his opponents immediately after the match? How is it disrespectful to the fans to not pander to phil taylors demands when you have just lost the biggest match of your career?

The situation was created by taylor and made progressively worse by lewis acting like a child, nicholson didnt cover himself in glory by any stretch dont get me wrong but to say this was somehow disrespectful to the fans is complete nonsense.

Its also amazing that lewis calling a fellow professional a "fu*king knob" on stage is being completely ignored by the majority, does lewis not have to be on "professional duty" or is it only paul nicholson that this applies to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

Taylor never signs the board when he loses. It is arrogant to make the loser's sign the board and not do it yourself. Shoving the board in Nicholsons face 30secs after losing a tournament that clearly meant more to him than it did to Taylor is just crass. Lewis is an alright guy to talk to but he is as thick as two bricks and seems to have no interpersonal skills, taylor isnt far behind him in that manner. Whitlock is a class act and Nicholson wears his heart on his sleeve and will be prone to this kind of controversy in the year to come. However he seems an ok guy to chat to, he just has a different persona on stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 monb

Nicholson is free from criticism in this in my eyes. As has been said he shook hands with both players after the game and stayed on stage for the presentation, unlike Manley in the world final a few years ago. He was under no obligation to sign the board. It was obvious from his post match interview that he was devastated at losing so I can understand him not wanting the board shoved in his face after the match.
    Stylie mentioned above that Taylor never signs the board when he loses. Is this true? If so then its a serious case of double standards if he expects others to sign it after they've beaten(usually fairly comprehensively).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

lewis was a bit of over the top and should not have given any verbals to nicholson. i think nicholson should have signed the board anyway and his behaviour was not anyway near as bad as lewis. he was gutted which was understandable. him and whitlock had a great tournament.

can't see the problem with phil, he was very complimentary towards paul and simon. im sure aidy would react like that again to someone not signing the board for him. anyway looking forward to the premier league tomorrow nigth :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Tonplus wrote: »
    Just watched this om youtube..And all im gona say is that im finding it very hard to warm to any of the modern dart throwers..A few of the dutch lads are ok .

I have to agree with the comments on youtube about the sooner Taylor retires the Better..I really dont like the cut of the man..You have to respect all hes done..But he really does think he is something..Darts as a Game is steeped in Working Class traditions'with hard working men making a name for themselfs in the darting world..Something tells me taylor never done a hard days work in his life..I would love to have him and lewis out labouring to me for a day..They wouldnt look so pompous and cocky after a couple of hours..!!

Dont like lewis either' but nicholson in my opinion acted a complete Dick' Hes a grown man for Godsake..Whitlock was gutted aswell but you didnt see him acting like that..He also punched the wall.. No one likes getting beat and no doubt it means a lot to them and emotions are high..But they are some tossers in the game' that cant take defeat graciously..mervyn king being high on the list of them..I liked the lakeside this year' with the likes of Yan decker if thats how its spelt lifting his opponents arm in the air after he himself got beat..that was commendable and showed respect and Class and sportsman like behaviour..More of that wouldnt go Amiss.

i think you are bit harsh on phil. ok sometimes he doesn't always take defeat well but by and large he is very complimentary, gracious towards his opponents when he's gets beaten , like against chisnall in the WC. he has done a lot for the game. i accept he is a marmite type character in that there are those who don't like him.

i agree with you regarding lewis and nicholson , they both behaved very badly after the game.

i think you are bit harsh on phil. ok sometimes he doesn't always take defeat well but by and large he is very complimentary, gracious towards his opponents when he's gets beaten , like against chisnall in the WC. he has done a lot for the game. i accept he is a marmite type character in that there are those who don't like him.

i agree with you regarding lewis and nicholson , they both behaved very badly after the game.

Only person that behaved badly was lewis.

Again, I still can't believe the guy who was concerned for the fans is getting slated over the guy who actively said "No" to taking two seconds to write his name down.

It's not 'pandering to Taylor' to sign the dartboard. What a ridiculous notion revealing clear anti-Taylor bias. The signing of the dartboard is simply a nice gesture he does after the game and requires little to nothing of other players to do so too. Taylor does it willingly after losing matches, he swallows his own pride to make someone's night, so it's not as if he's expecting something more from the player's than he gives himself.

To those who say he doesn't, I've seen him do so...in perhaps one of his most humiliating losses of all-time against the then-unknown Adrian Grey in Citywest. I remember noting it as I felt guilty for cheering on Grey the entire match after seeing a show of magnanimous class from Taylor.

Just because it isn't the done thing in other sports doesn't mean that it's not a nice, effortless gesture that requires nothing of the player. This isn't like the examples you gave where you'd be rubbing your loss in the face of your opponent. Footballers would often be expected to sign jerseys for fans after the game for fans, win or lose, for example. This is separate to the entire match itself, it's taking a moment to be thankful to the fans. And the fact that Whitlock had no qualms signing it also speaks volumes for the class of the man as opposed to Nicholson's petulant outburst. He could be a drama queen all he wanted, just don't let your audition to get a role on Eastenders make you forget who are the reason you get to live such a privileged life.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 monb

What a ridiculous notion revealing clear anti-Taylor bias.
    There seems to be a fair bit of anti-Nicholson bias going on too.

If Taylor had as much class as what you claim then surely he would have recognised that asking a guy who's just been beaten, in probably the biggest game of his career so far, to sign a board straight after the match might not have been the best idea. Could he not have waited till after the presentation to do it when Nicholson had a chance to clear his head? The board wouldnt have been given to a fan until after the interviews anyway.

Anyone who's ever played any sport will know there are some players who can just shrug off a big defeat and others need a few minutes to gather their emotions.

I have no bias against Taylor. There was nothing wrong in what he did, just that he could have had a bit more understanding of the situation.

Again, I still can't believe the guy who was concerned for the fans is getting slated over the guy who actively said "No" to taking two seconds to write his name down.

It's not 'pandering to Taylor' to sign the dartboard. What a ridiculous notion revealing clear anti-Taylor bias. The signing of the dartboard is simply a nice gesture he does after the game and requires little to nothing of other players to do so too. Taylor does it willingly after losing matches, he swallows his own pride to make someone's night, so it's not as if he's expecting something more from the player's than he gives himself.

To those who say he doesn't, I've seen him do so...in perhaps one of his most humiliating losses of all-time against the then-unknown Adrian Grey in Citywest. I remember noting it as I felt guilty for cheering on Grey the entire match after seeing a show of magnanimous class from Taylor.

Just because it isn't the done thing in other sports doesn't mean that it's not a nice, effortless gesture that requires nothing of the player. This isn't like the examples you gave where you'd be rubbing your loss in the face of your opponent. Footballers would often be expected to sign jerseys for fans after the game for fans, win or lose, for example. This is separate to the entire match itself, it's taking a moment to be thankful to the fans. And the fact that Whitlock had no qualms signing it also speaks volumes for the class of the man as opposed to Nicholson's petulant outburst. He could be a drama queen all he wanted, just don't let your audition to get a role on Eastenders make you forget who are the reason you get to live such a privileged life.

Again this is more hyperbole and not a true reflection of the situation whatsoever. All taylor had to do was give nicholson a few minutes to gather himself and he would have signed the board, its really that simple. All this nonsense about disrespecting the fans etc is so far wide of the mark in the context of what happenned makes me wonder where we watching the same thing.

Still we ignore the fact that as world champion Adrian lewis comes in for no stick when he abused a fellow professional on stage in front of the crowd and the Tv audience where was his concern for teh fans when he was abusing nicholson surely his "professional duty" would have stopped him here. Along with Taylor clearly not applauding him when he came up to do his interview regardless of the fact that nicholson had contributed towards a great match for the fans.

Its not anti-taylor to say he was out of order its the truth. I dont think many arguing against your view are huge nicholson fans either but are simple calling it like it was.

• Advertisement

I am a Nicholson fan, said it in my first post on this matter. I'm just calling it like I see it myself. I think it's easy to criticise Lewis because he was the aggressor, I mean I don't like seeing people call others "a ****ing knob" either. It's not nice...can't we all just get along and all that? But if you actually look at the situation the real story emerges.

Nicholson didn't say he'd sign it 'in a minute'...else why would they go mad at him and say he refused? So your argument that he would have done so simply carries no weight. Because...he didn't! He said he wouldn't sign it, full stop, because he was too busy throwing a hissy fit about losing.

When is the last time we saw a player almost walk off stage and cry over a loss? Fair enough, being devastated about a loss, that's the nature of the being a professional sportsman. But be a pro and save your tantrums for backstage.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement