Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Esb meter reading

Options
  • 03-02-2012 10:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I recently got a day/night rate meter installed for my electricity consumption. ESB left a card requesting a reading and I read the meter - it looks like a very new type of meter and the reading seems very straightforward. I took the reading, - 4 digits - and sent it in. The meter only allows for one reading unlike the older type which shows the dual reading and it is also a 3 phase meter. When the bill arrived it showed both a day and night consumption - how can they bill for 2 rates when I only provide one reading?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Probably a GSM smart meter which sends the information back to Dublin automatically. They ask you to send a reading just to check it ? I will soon know myself as I have one now.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

are they fitting gsm smart meters now? why would they want confirmation?

i usually see the iskra with the blue button for domestic-you have to scroll through the readings

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

They will be able to text the meter to cut us off next.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Gene2 wrote: »
    I recently got a day/night rate meter installed for my electricity consumption. ESB left a card requesting a reading and I read the meter - it looks like a very new type of meter and the reading seems very straightforward. I took the reading, - 4 digits - and sent it in. The meter only allows for one reading unlike the older type which shows the dual reading and it is also a 3 phase meter. When the bill arrived it showed both a day and night consumption - how can they bill for 2 rates when I only provide one reading?

Hi Gene2,

Hope you don't mind me popping in here, but the meter in question I would imagine is of the kind shown here (third one down). If this is the case, you need to press the main button a certain number of times to get the breakdown of day and night (how many times you need to press it varies depending on the model).

The reading you have submitted may have been the total units rather than the individual day/night readings.
    Gene2 wrote:
    are they fitting gsm smart meters now? why would they want confirmation?

Smart meters are currently being fitted, though from what you say it is unlikely in this case to be a smart meter. For the latest information on the nationwide rollout of smart meters, see here.

Hope this helps.

Thanks

David

Advertisement