Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

south africa in Start of Jan

• 03-02-2012 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Im heading to South Africa in start of Jan on a honeymoon. ut reading through the brochures there is so much to do and squeeze in inthe 3 weeks has anyone gone and what was your itinerary.Also how safe is it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Magic Pips

Im heading to South Africa in start of Jan on a honeymoon. ut reading through the brochures there is so much to do and squeeze in inthe 3 weeks has anyone gone and what was your itinerary.Also how safe is it.

Hey Mighty mouse, depends what you're into.

I've lived in SA on/off over the past 3-ish years.

My highlights that i've experienced myself:
    Kruger national park stay (5+ hour drive from Joburg)

Myself and my brother stayed here:
    http://www.golimpopo.com/accommodations/private-game-reserves-/hongonyi-private-game-lodge.html however the website now redirects to a different lodge - dont know why.

Regardless the important part was the guided tour in thornybush - where we saw the big 5 in one day. DONT expect this as the norm as some of the animals tend not to co-operate! For this reason 2 game drives a day over 2/3 days depending on your interest is recommended.

Shark Diving in Gaansbai (2.5/3 hour drive from Cape Town)
    Absolutely amazing experience, you're in a cage attached to the boat, submerged up to you chest in water, no diving kit needed. When a shark approaches you simply hold your breathe and pull yourself down. Again as with the kruger, sharks are wild and viewings are irregular occurances. Essential to book (about 130euro a person) as these guys are busy - they have a mini bus transfer from CT also

There the main things i've done - i would highly recommend doing the wine route properly, its on my list. Also on my list is 'god's window' and then also http://www.leopardrockc.co.za/ i think thats a facebook profile pic waiting to happen!

I've subbed to this thread, so should see any replies if they're done.

As for the 'Danger' thing, i would put it this way: to not visit the county for a holiday would be mad - in my personal opinion. Its got so much to offer, however you need to have your wits about you - just in case.

to live here, is a very personal choice with eyes wide open - and not something i'd give my opinion to other people!

any questions just ask.

Ian

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

It really depends what you are into OP. But some fairly mainstream things...

I would recommend hiring a car and doing the Garden route for almost anybody. You will drive through some really breathtaking countryside, and you can always tailor the exact route and stops to complement your interests: it allows a breadth of diversity and variety that you might not get by staying in Cape Town, or on a safari,for example.

I've done the garden route twice and have spent it doing all sorts of things from bungee jumping to an outdoor music festival to surfing to mountain climbing to getting drunk on local wines or in dodgy bars, to getting happily lost and wandering around a really unique and charming landscape. No matter what your age or interest, you will find something to amuse and interest you in a great environment.

As for Cape Town, I've always felt that a week is plenty to enjoy and see Cape Town (including the beach). One thing I would definitely encourage you to do is to hire a mountaineering guide and hike/ climb up Table Mountain the hard way. There are some really stunning views (as well as a sense of accomplishment) that you possibly won't quite achieve by making your way up with the rest of the tourist pack.

I've never considered SA to be a worryingly dangerous place- you certainly need to have your wits about you more than elsewhere. Ask a European living in SA what they miss most about Europe,and most will feature the loss of a sense of personal security pretty high up. But it isn't grossly restrictive either.

I would extend this to being careful about drink driving road users: attitudes to drink driving are not quite as they have become in Ireland, and that is something that could be a greater threat to your welfare than a mugging event. But I don't want to overstate the likelihood of either;had you not asked about personal safety in your OP, neither are something I would even have thought of raising.

Advertisement