Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jobs for recent graduate in California?

Options
  • 03-02-2012 8:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, this may be off the subject. I'm a recent graduate and I am thinking of moving to California is it hard to get work there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

***Mod action: post moved from a reply in an old topic about houes to its own thread ***

It depends- what sort of job are you looking for and visa will you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 loloco24

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it.
    I can avail of a graduate visa from University for a 12month period, which is great. I'm in the field of media/pr. Do you know of anything...??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Not familiar with California, sorry. Check out the Stickied J1 thread though, you may get some suggestions there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

It's really just like trying to get a job at home. There are jobs available but not as many as 5 years ago. You need to have an outstanding resume (make sure you "Americanize" it) or you need to have connections or both.

You can either try your best to get a job at home or try your best to get a job in California. I would recommend trying California. An opportunity like this doesn't come often (being able to avail of the recent graduate visa) and the weather does help if you get rejections :)

You should start looking at craigslist.org or contact local Irish centers at whichever area you intend on going to. At least get a feel for what kind of jobs are out there and what is expected for recent graduates in your field.

Advertisement