Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tarmac

Options
  • 03-02-2012 12:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭

How much per m2?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

sincere113 wrote: »
    How much per m2?

I was going to be sarcastic, but then see your username is sincere. You could easily have gone onto the motoring forum, put up a thread

Car -
    How much?

you wont get a quote for what you just said there.

What area is required? Is there removal of existing surface finish to be done? Is there kerbs required? Is there stone blinding required? What thickness is required? What will be the purpose of the finished tarmac? What kind of specification are you looking for? Is there any hindrances to the area that needs the tarmac, ie is it easily accesable? Where is your location? Is it meeting another tarmac finish or concrete path or stone?

You might be able to get an idea if you know the above.

The easiest thing is look up the golden pages and ring someone who does tarmac near to where you live.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sincere113

Ah ok. I know absolutely nothing about tarmacing, as you've correctly guessed!

I have a drive of 60yds long and 4yds wide which currently is loose stone and has been down years and fairly well compacted. On one side there is a wall and on the other is grass seperated by small kerbing.

I could get the drive ripped up and loose stone put down handy enough but have no idea of what tarmac costs are excluding any other ground work.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

sincere113 wrote: »
    Ah ok. I know absolutely nothing about tarmacing, as you've correctly guessed!

I have a drive of 60yds long and 4yds wide which currently is loose stone and has been down years and fairly well compacted. On one side there is a wall and on the other is grass seperated by small kerbing.

I could get the drive ripped up and loose stone put down handy enough but have no idea of what tarmac costs are excluding any other ground work.

as I said, you are best off ringing someone local. you could be looking at €15/m2 or €30/m2. Its nigh on impossible to tell you without knowing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 PJK2013

I have just got tarmac driveway done and there appears to be a lot of white marks on it and it looks dirty. The contractor said this will wash off with rain. Has anyone else encountered this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭macadam

PJK2013 wrote: »
    I have just got tarmac driveway done and there appears to be a lot of white marks on it and it looks dirty. The contractor said this will wash off with rain. Has anyone else encountered this?

This can happen and has happened, if the contractors roller is dirty it can leave dust from the drums embedded in the tarmac,more than likely you have nice white concrete paths which will always have a bit of dust on it and it sticks to the wet roller drum.
    Was it SMA if so there is 60% more bitumen in this product and any dust etc will stick to this more so than ordinary wearing course.
    Can you post up a few pics, there are a few solutions, but it will wear out it wont wash off, and never ever powerwash Tarmac/SMA
    I will PM you another question that could be your problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Jimar

macadam wrote: »
    This can happen and has happened, if the contractors roller is dirty it can leave dust from the drums embedded in the tarmac,more than likely you have nice white concrete paths which will always have a bit of dust on it and it sticks to the wet roller drum.
    Was it SMA if so there is 60% more bitumen in this product and any dust etc will stick to this more so than ordinary wearing course.
    Can you post up a few pics, there are a few solutions, but it will wear out it wont wash off, and never ever powerwash Tarmac/SMA
    I will PM you another question that could be your problem.

I am curious as to why you cannot powerwash Tarmac?
    I am due to get Tarmac around my house and curious about maintenance.

Thanks!

Jimar,
    Pm sent you can post it here if you wish..

macadam wrote: »
    Jimar,
    Pm sent you can post it here if you wish..

Pm: Power washing takes the binder off the stones leaving it loose, why would you want to power wash it.
    To maintain it a stiff brush if it needs it and you can paint it with a polymer bitumen every couple of years to bring it back to a as new look and it add years to it.
    Tarmac is no longer suitable for driveways, you should be getting Stone mastic asphalt laid minimum depth of 50mm rolled.

Thanks for the Pm macadam. Just reposting here for others to see.

Ya definitely going to go for the Sma option. It's well worth the extra few quid.

Thanks for the maintenance advice also!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Jimar wrote: »
    Tarmac is no longer suitable for driveways, you should be getting Stone mastic asphalt laid minimum depth of 50mm rolled.

Can I ask what this means? Why is tarmac not suitable and what's the difference between it and Stone mastic asphalt? Is there a cost difference?

churchview wrote: »
    Can I ask what this means? Why is tarmac not suitable and what's the difference between it and Stone mastic asphalt? Is there a cost difference?

Macadam would be better equipped to answer your question. But from what I have learned by looking into this for my own house is that Tarmac isn't as hard wearing as sma. Eg. 4 wheel drive jeeps and the number of cars and traffic at a house nowadays make Tarmac almost redundant. Sma is stronger and more durable.
    Sma is ball park 12-15% more expensive. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Jimar wrote: »
    Macadam would be better equipped to answer your question. But from what I have learned by looking into this for my own house is that Tarmac isn't as hard wearing as sma. Eg. 4 wheel drive jeeps and the number of cars and traffic at a house nowadays make Tarmac almost redundant. Sma is stronger and more durable.
    Sma is ball park 12-15% more expensive. Hope this helps.

Spot on jimar, the cost is not anymore than 12% where I source it and its made with a High PSV chip and this adds more to the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

Thanks very much to you both. I really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭L driver

Hello,
    Sorry for hijacking but what is marshall asphalt?

L driver wrote: »
    Hello,
    Sorry for hijacking but what is marshall asphalt?

Marshall Asphalt is a US designed material also known as American asphalt. A cross between normal asphalt and macadam this mix combines sand and dust along with a high stone content to give the durability of asphalt and the managability of tarmac. When used correctly creates the smoothest most durable surface possible for all types of commercial and residential jobs. For example: Household driveways and small to medium size retail premises. This material is currently being used on the runways at Dublin Airport. Extremely suitable where a neat finish is required. Laid with the latest machinery and quality workmanship to assure you of a perfect finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭hexosan

Is concrete ever an option for a driveway ??

Does it work out much cheaper than that Tarmac/SMA

What are the pros & cons

What's the shelf life of concrete on a drive vs SMA

Or are you just better holding off till you can afford Tarmac/SMA

Advertisement