Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos changing with weight loss

Options
  • 03-02-2012 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭

Basically what it says on the tin! Do tattoos change much with significant weight loss?

Strongly thinking about getting a tattoo on my calf in the near-ish future, but I also plan on losing a good bit of weight(plan being the key word:pac:). But I'm not sure about getting it if losing weight will distort it or anything like that!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Jake The Fat Ma

Why dont you do it the other way around?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

I would say that it should be ok if the weight loss is gradual and not a drastic shifting. Plus, if your going from 28 stone down to 15, there could be some distortion. (I promise i'm not calling you fat).

There more weight you plan to loose, the more there could be an affect to the tattoo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I'd say it would have a lot to do with the placement of the tattoo too. If it's somewhere that would drastically change when weight is lost, I can't see a problem. But if you have a big old beer belly, get a tattoo on it, the massively shrink the size of your tummy, there could be major changes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

Why not lose the weight, and use the tattoo as an end incentive (on top of being healthier, more confident and all that jazz :D) ?

Best of luck Baz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Mainly 'cause I'm a bit of an impatient motherfúcker.:pac:
    Chances are I'll still be mulling over the placement in 6 months or so, though! Just looking for a general idea of will it be a very noticable change in the tattoo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

Ive two tattoos one on my back left calf and the other on my right calf, I lost about 4 and a half stone a few years ago and there was no change at all to the tattoos and there was a lot of weight loss around that area. But just in case it may vary from person to person, you could always use the tattoo to celebrate your weight loss at the end. Best of luck with your tattoo and weight loss!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 johndeniel

Weight loosing or gaining affect the design of the tattoo. Slow weight loose or gaining less distorts the shape of your tattoo. Highly symmetrical design like tribal and Celtic patterns shows the effect as according to the weight changes. You should go for a highly skilled tattoos artist for repairing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I've been between 13st and 15st since my first tattoo two years ago, weight gain and loss was always gradual, and as I'm quite into my fitness, I wouldn't have just been a fat 13st or 15st.

Never noticed any bother with distortion, and my tat is on my upper arm where there can be size changes of a few inches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

I lost 4 and a half stone in about a year, and it didn't change anything about a single tattoo and I have a lot of cover including my calves, thighs etc

unless you are talking stomach or the inside of the top of the thigh, I can't imagine weight loss being an issue with a tattoo, unless you are talking about a huge tattoo and a huge amount of weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Both my wife and I have several tattoos in several areas and both of us have changed body shape due to weight lifting work. Not one tattoo has changed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement