Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend breast pump/bottles/sterliser pls

Options
  • 03-02-2012 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Hi Ladies
    Just over from the pregnant forum and would love some advise on what breast pump/bottle/sterlisers you would recommend? I plan on breast feeding when little one arrives but also hoping to express so dad can be involved as well. Are you better getting the same brand pump, bottles etc or can you mix between them? would you recommend a manual pump over an electric one? I did look at the tommie tippee ones at half price in tesco as liked the look of the microwave sterliser, can anyone comment on it? Many thanks for any advise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

TRISHKA wrote: »
    Hi Ladies
    Just over from the pregnant forum and would love some advise on what breast pump/bottle/sterlisers you would recommend? I plan on breast feeding when little one arrives but also hoping to express so dad can be involved as well. Are you better getting the same brand pump, bottles etc or can you mix between them? would you recommend a manual pump over an electric one? I did look at the tommie tippee ones at half price in tesco as liked the look of the microwave sterliser, can anyone comment on it? Many thanks for any advise.

i bought the tommee tippe one. only startin to use it now but it seems very handy and microwave sterilising is great. also tommee tippee have the anti colic bottles which are prob good. i would def buy all tommee tippee stuff as then everything wil be matching. dont think ya can use different bottles with tommee tippee breast pump. but im new to this too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I have the medela electric pump, its the hospital recommended one and the only one i ever had any sucess with. it comes with a bottle and i used the tesco breast milk bags to store the milk in the freezer. I use the Tommie Tippee bottles as the teats are the closest to breast shape and are less likely to cause nipple confusion, making it easier to switch between bottle and breast.

Expressing is not really recommended before 6 weeks, until your milk supply is fully established. I have an avent microwave steriliser that was loaned to me 2 years ago and the tommie tippee bottles fit perfectly into to..;) hope its some help. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭LilMrsDahamsta

cbyrd wrote: »
    I have the medela electric pump, its the hospital recommended one and the only one i ever had any sucess with. it comes with a bottle and i used the tesco breast milk bags to store the milk in the freezer. I use the Tommie Tippee bottles as the teats are the closest to breast shape and are less likely to cause nipple confusion, making it easier to switch between bottle and breast.

Expressing is not really recommended before 6 weeks, until your milk supply is fully established. I have an avent microwave steriliser that was loaned to me 2 years ago and the tommie tippee bottles fit perfectly into to..;) hope its some help. ;)

I'd second the Medela pump recommendation. I have the "swing" model. Got it second hand off adverts/donedeal. If u make sure the pump itself and the L-shape bit are intact, you can buy new versions of the rest cheaply. Can be used off mains or batteries, so very handy.

We have tommee tippee bottles and sterilizer too. They're grand for milk storage; my small man won't drink from any bottle, so can't comment on that side of things.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

The medela pumps are brilliant.
    The Tommee Tippee anti colic + closer to nature bottles were by far the best bottles that we found.
    Any steriliser will do you but I highly recommend the boots pod as it is a 48 hour steriliser or the avent iq 24.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I used the mothercare microwave sterilizer which cost around €10 and it was ideal for the couple of bottles and the breast pump bits and pieces. I got the Medela swing pump and found it really good. I used breast way bottles from mothercare, they have two teats to mimic the sucking of a nipple (apparently!), but they were very big. After a few months when wind wasn't an issue anymore we just used the Medela bottle from the pump.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jenniflower87

I had awful trouble trying to get the baby to take the bottle when I was breast feeding. I tried tommy tippee, avent and then nuk. The Nuk ones are brilliant. They are the teats that they give in the hospital if you need to express in the hospital. I used the medela electric pump in the hospital and I thought that it was brilliant but I got a present of the tommy tippee hand pump and it works a treat!

I also got a loan of a sterilser from my friend. And any bottles fit in so if you decide to change bottles or what ever they will all fit in :) Good luck with your new bundle of joy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I had all avent bottles and sterliser last time, but i bought tommey tippee bottles as they were cheaper than buying new size 1 avent teats! 5 of those bottles fit in the avent sterliser at a time compared to 6 avent bottles. I always had a avent electric pump and i love it as you can set the speed, great if you're sore, but i was given a medula double and it is well worth the money as it cuts pumping time in half. Tbh, if you intend b.feeding, i wouldnt buy any thing untill you are 3 weeks in, you'll know better what you need depending on the baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Moonbeam wrote: »
    The medela pumps are brilliant.
    The Tommee Tippee anti colic + closer to nature bottles were by far the best bottles that we found.
    Any steriliser will do you but I highly recommend the boots pod as it is a 48 hour steriliser or the avent iq 24.
    exactly how we did it and worked a treat. we're at 6 months now and altho the milk dried up after 3 months, we're still using the tommee tippee anti colic closer to nature bottles and steriliser daily and very happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭qwertytlk

I have avent microwave sterlisier, i find it great but was told by shop assistant that you should check it will fit in your microwave before buying as a few people have had that problem. I bought avent anti-colic bottles when pregnant, but found them useless when baby was born. They are suppossed to be anti-colic, which means there shouldnt be any air getting into the bottle. But this is not the case as you can see the air bubbles flying down through the milk. As a result my son had really bad wind and was in severe pain. I changed to doctor brown bottles and the problem stopped straight away so i would reccomend the dr.browns. And if you get the avent steriliser, the dr.browns bottles still fit it, although instead of 6, you can only get 3-4 in but thats not a major hassle.
    Dont know anything about breast pumps!
    Good luck with everything:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

Avent is a good solid brand - we do have the tommy tippe closer to nature bottles though. Tired using the tommy tippee manual pump and it just would not work for me so ended up having to buy the Avent one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭TRISHKA

Thanks so much for all the recommendations ladies, so good to hear from all the voices of experience:D

Advertisement