Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse/Cow Manure?

Options
  • 03-02-2012 2:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hey there guys anybody have any links as to where i could source some manure for a community garden ?
    I can collect etc
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mcmurphy995

they are out of business , pity

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Some unhelpful posts removed.

I suppose you can check with local farmers? There is a Farming forum here and maybe ask around at the Saturday market?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I'll let you know if I find any! I'm a bit out of touch as I haven't had a veg garden for quite some time.

What I would be looking for is straw-based horse manure. Avoid anything with wood shavings in it; unfortunately this tends to be the most commonly available. Fewer people keeping horses now because of the recession.

Also if you go for cow manure watch out for grass and weed seeds. These will plague your garden for years.

Good luck with your venture. It's great to see allotments and community gardens catching on here.

A thought: Galway City Council have a composting facility, AFAIK. Can they supply any to community initiatives like yours?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Surrealean

I wasn't aware there were any community gardens around anymore, whereabouts are ye?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Emercossie

Hi,
    I have plenty horse manure, well rotted and you are welcome to come and help yourself. Email me if you are interested. Am in Tuam.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭liamhana

There's a network of community gardens in Galway city under the banner name - Lets Get Galway Growing - agency support, shared learning & resources and access to experience & other initiatives such as the mens' shed, healthy cities project etc all part of the experience!
    www.letsgetgalwaygrowing.com

Advertisement