Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TCD mature student.

Options
  • 03-02-2012 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi,
    Wondering if you anybody could shine some light on this for me.I realise there is a wealth of information on boards about the mature student application etc but as my interest is specific to TCD,I would love to hear from anybody who has been down that route directly or who has first hand experience.My personal situation at the moment,I am 27,have quite a good,reasonably stable job with a decent salary.To be hounest,I'm not 100% sure what course I would like to do.My job is quite technical so I suppose some would say I would be already leaning toward engineering but it's the area that least interests me.Would love to do something totally different,maybe in the way of arts,although a course that really jumped out at me was zoology.Anyway my leaving cert results weren't great so I'm very interested to find out what the competition for places is like and if I should consider perhaps repeating some leaving cert subjects to improve my chances.I reckon I'd need to decide relatively soon,what course I'd like to take so that I might get involved in any way and better my chances for next year.Any input at all greatly appreciated,thanks!
    Gary.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I would get the college prospectus and read up on the different courses. Then maybe narrow down the courses that interest you and start your research. Check the web, check boards and contact the relevant departments for information on the course. They hold open days in October/November so make sure to go to that and ask lots of questions. Do look at where a course will take you afterwards - job prospects, is it research based work etc.

With regards to your poor leaving cert results, I'd highly recommend an access course. UCD do one for both Science & Engineering and Arts. Trinity also has some type of access programme but I'm not familiar with how it works. If you contact the Mature Student Officer at TCD - Clodagh Byrne, she should be able to give you information on it. I did the Science course in UCD and it definitely gave me the grounding in the science subjects and confidence to start a degree course at Trinity. The study skills lessons definitely helped me keep up with work.

If you contact the course department and ask about what they look for with mature student applicants it will give you a better idea of how to go about applying for the course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

My boyfriend is currently studying BESS in Trinity, entered as a mature student who, like yourself, didn't show his ability in his Leaving Cert results. As far as I know he had an interview and had to give in a personal statement/essay. Again, not 100% but I think the deadline for mature student applications for next Sept was in Jan. Double check that though :)

Certainly your results won't hold you back, and fair play to you for thinking of going back. Like Larianne said, put some thought into what course you'd like to do first as that's most important.

Advertisement