Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What bicycle was available in the 1920's thread

Options
  • 03-02-2012 3:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

My grandfather used to cycle accross the country during the 20's as he worked with board na mona as a fitter.

I would love to know what type of bicycle would be affordable in the 30s?

he came from farming backround but was trained as a blacksmith.

thanks

CH

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Hard to track down online - a lot sites are American. In the U.S., cars really took off in the 1920s and bicycles were considered children's transportation. In Europe this wasn't the case, so the bikes in use in Europe and the US were a little different.

But overall the bikes in 1930's wouldn't have been a million miles away from what we have now. It would look very familiar to us now - pedals, pneumatic tyres, handlebars, etc. It was probably a fixed-gear singlespeed bike (gearing and freewheels would have been expensive) If he was working, then he was probably carrying tools and some clothing, and so would have had saddlebags. Possibly something like this:
    http://www.theoldbicycleshowroom.co.uk/c1930s-gentlemans-humber-roadster-1041-p.asp

Cost is hard to say. Some of the ads here: (http://oldbike.wordpress.com/vintage-bicycle-adverts-1900-1920/) indicate that a bike in the 1910's cost around £5, which is £380-ish in today's money. So I guess you're talking about two/three week's wages for a fitter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

I'd imagine brands that would have been available at the time would have included; Raleigh, Humber (distinct by it's doubletubed front forks), Rudge, Sunbeam, Royal Enfield, BSA, Hercules and Wexford-produced Pierce...most available affordable models were the bog-standard black 'High Nelly' type though sports-pattern models were also produced. Usually without gearing, don't know when the Sturmey Archer 3 geared thingummy came widespread.

Finding your way home at night from the dance with either a small carbide or battery powered front lamp. Or the consumption of lots of carrots for most folks :) Not many cars on the road, most likely the only one that had a car in town was the doctor.

A lot of English car and motorcycle manufacturers made bicycles as a sideline, or started out making bicycles. A few European makers may have sneaked in but by and large the vast majority were of English manufacture.

Advertisement