Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Natural worming products

• 03-02-2012 3:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

I've just come across a page recommending using food grade diatomaceous earth as a natural worming product, just wondering if anyone has any experience with this product, or is it even available in Ireland?

Or exerience with any other natural wormers by the way. Small inquisitive child + 6 dogs = definite need to worm dogs to be on the safe side :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭axle108

+1 on any experience anyone can share regarding using this. Did a quick search and first link showed up this http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/defaq.html. Interesting reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Yeah that's what I read too, they just come across a little too zealous, I'm always suspicious of people who reckon the 1 product can cure the world :D
    Would love some balanced views

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

I'm not sure about the above but I know pumpkin/their seeds is a natural wormer for tortoise, dunno if it's the same for mammals, that's the only natural wormer I've ever heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

Diatomaceous earth when inhaled can cause silicosis...Lung problems... if you breath it in so I would avoid any sort of contact with the powdered form with animals particularly if there may also be children around to inhale the dust from them.

The ingested version should not be so bad for you but studies have shown its not an effective wormer.It might affect some gi parasites in some dogs but its not being proven to be reliable.I would not be able to recommend it.Particularly where kids are in contact with the dogs.

If you want to avoid using preventative products on your dog you could ask your vet to run Fecal tests on your dogs poops regularly and then treat accordingly to the results (you will need a sample from each and regular testing in order to be safe with small kids around)
    However Roundworms are a potential zoonotic issue.As are some of the other worms but they are less dangerous.The chances of them causing blindness or lung issues in kids is actually very low statistically speaking.But its not worth risking when worms are so easily prevented

The current medications are generally very safe.Drontal as a wormer is a considered to be a very safe drug to use .Stronghold (selamectin) is also considered a very safe drug if your looking for wide spec parasite control.

If your worried about flea products with collies thats understandable.Avoid the Ivermectins of course but there are other much safer products out there.
    The most reliable natural treatment is daily flea combing and treat once you come across the little buggers.
    Below is a table of the parasites you looking to be rid of and the drugs and combinations in each of the wormers.Tapeworms tend to need to be treated speperatly
    Its an american chart-hence the heart worms but a good summary
    http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=1086

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Thanks very much for that, there seemed to be alot of overly positive information on the diatomaceous earth so it made me suspicious. I have too many dogs to be doing regular fecal testing and a small child in the house I'll stick to regular worming tablets.

I don't use flea treatments on the dogs unless they actually have fleas, and they havent' had fleas in 10 years (touch wood), that doesn't bother me so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭mrs.machine

I've been using DE for parasites in animals since January with mixed results. It seems to work for external parasites on cats, dogs and hens, I found a dehydrated dead tick still attached to my cat. But it has not worked for internal parasites. I had a PM done on a sick hen and the results showed she was positive for ascarid worms. My dogs still get worms (different type) as I see them alive in there droppings. I upped the dose to over double the recommended dose to try to kill the worms but failed. In the end I had to buy a chemical wormer. They are all on DE daily. Dissappointing... But I can't seem to find out if the recommended dose rate of 5% or 2% etc is by volume or weight. Maybe this is why it failed...:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Vince32

I don't know much about all these fancy new products or their effects, but there are (as I'm sure you know) spot-on wormers out there that come in child proof packets, I wouldn't go shoving every new product down my dogs throat just because some guy on the internet wrote his own reviews.

Stick to what works, and stay safe, best advice I've ever gotten.

Vince

Advertisement