Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are there jobs for It Graduates?

Options
  • 03-02-2012 4:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

Thinking of doing a a Postgrad course in IT, specifically IT and programming? Are there jobs in IT? I hear there are loads of vacancies but it appears to be experienced personnel required? Alot of the adverts are agencies as well which i wonder about.

My own background is B.Eng Electronics with some years experience in telecoms up until 2002, then i left IT; did odd jobs and have done some technician work ,call centre etc.

Always interested in Programming but never pursued it. Are there any courses i can study myself like OCP, Microsoft .net Certification. Do Employers actually value these qualifications ? I am doing CCENT at the moment so i would do networking myself or as a module. Interested in Microsoft,unix etc also. but i would like just to concentrate on programing/networking although i appreciate alot of jobs want mcsa & ccna or ccnp/mcp plus experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I think your very confused. Programming is not a IT support job and a IT support job is not a programming job. Some jobs require some overlap but they are in essence different skill sets completely.

I can't speak from a personal perspective but I'm pretty sure that degree + experience are king in programming roles. Nobody in Ireland wants to train up Graduates and picking up a role out of college might be difficult but not impossible. There has been no real crash in the industry.

For support roles, Certs are a great doorstep. But like above there is a fair level of market saturation at the bottom and middle level, experience is critical and its difficult to get started. Picking up certs while in helpdesk first level roles sets you aside from the crowd and lets you progress faster. But don't expect massive gains for little to no effort.

As for programming certs, I'm not aware of any that would be highly valued in the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Darith

Yes maybe i am confused on these points. I would agree on your perception of certs for switches and servers such as cisco/microsoft. They seem well regarded. Programming certs such as java etc; well i will have to do more research.

Advertisement