Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which is the best GIS software: IDRISI, QGIS or SAGAGIS?

• 03-02-2012 4:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hi I'm looking for the easiest to use. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

The answer will probably depend on what you're planning to do with the software.

The options you've listed are all free(-ish), is commercial software an option? Commercial Software (MapInfo / ArcGIS etc.) can be easier to use than the open source options, and (paid-for) training is readily available for them in Ireland.

From the list you've given my preference would be for Q-GIS. It seems to be the most comprehensive, has a large user community and quite a range of nifty extensions and plug-ins. It's also fairly easy to use, for the basics at least. But, as I've said already, what's best for you can depend on what you're planning to use the software for.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ManAboutCouch

Actually, it's been a while since I came across Idrisi - I thought it was free but see now that it's quite pricey.

There are lots of other options available, if you're spending money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

How about a cloud solution?

eSpatial, GISCloud and ArcGIS Online (ESRI) have good offerings. It just depends what you want to do.

Best, easiest to use and free/cheap generally don't go hand in hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭parc

It's just for some coursework.

We were asked to use one of the above mentioned software. ArcGIS is our preferred software but we need to learn one of the free programmes in case we don't have access to the commercial ones such as ArcGIS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

QGIS would probably be the leader from the OpenSource cohort.
    Again what do you want to do? Is it Raster or Vector based GIS you want? IDRISI is mainly raster based (come from a remote sensing origin). ArcGIS is vector based with raster addons (spatial analyst). You can get a 60 day trial of ArcGIS with 1 extension for 30days.
    There's also Manifold which is relatively cheap and is making inroads into the mainstream GIS market.
    I wouldn't bother with any on the training courses as you're better diving in yourself and learning that way. Training courses are very expensive.

• Advertisement
Advertisement