Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Australia By Far The Most Racially Tolerant Country In The World??

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

A true story

Just as true and shocking as the horrors that happened in the Diocese of Dublin, Ferns, Cloyne, Raphone, Limerick and all the "Problems" that got shifted to the missionaries around the 4 corners of the world not to mention The Magadlene Laundries/asylums that ran up until the mid 1990's.

Every country has its history, its how the current generation deal with it is how they should be judged

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Batsy wrote: »
    Nope. Britain is the most racially tolerant country in the world.
    Taaahahahaha!!

Ahh sorry sorry sniff

Nghghg

Aaaaahahaha!!! ! 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The Aussie wrote: »
    Just as true and shocking as the horrors that happened in the Diocese of Dublin, Ferns, Cloyne, Raphone, Limerick and all the "Problems" that got shifted to the missionaries around the 4 corners of the world not to mention The Magadlene Laundries/asylums that ran up until the mid 1990's.

Every country has its history, its how the current generation deal with it is how they should be judged

Some of the current generation in Australia were surveyed about racism a year ago.

http://www.news.com.au/national/were-a-land-of-racists-survey-shows/story-e6frfkvr-1226010436251

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

To be fair, I reckon Britain is pretty racially tolerant overall - but where's this "most in the world" muck coming from? Oh wait, I know the answer to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Some of the current generation in Australia were surveyed about racism a year ago.

Profesor Dunne of the University of Western Sydney was probably looking for a grant or funding. UCC could use After Hours as a survey for Racial Tolerance in Ireland and get the same results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Dudess wrote: »
    To be fair, I reckon Britain is pretty racially tolerant overall - but where's this "most in the world" muck coming from? Oh wait, I know the answer to that.
    I've my doubts tbh, but just for the jollies I did a quick google to see which country was rated the most racist, last global survey (about ten years back) done by these guys rated, wait for it, Northern Ireland as the most racist place on earth.

Yes, a whopping 44% of Norn Iron inhabitants would not want to live next to people of different ethnicities, Muslims, Jews, immigrants, foreign workers, or homosexuals.

No doubt unrelated to the swarms of anti-Irish commentary from the same half dozen posters in every thread they stick an oar into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Seomra Mushie

MJRS wrote: »
    Wow :( 1967, Christ...

That said, the first link isn't much of a source, and the second one doesn't say they were considered flora and fauna until 1967, it says they were just considered that by the initial British settlers. Did you just google aborigine flora and fauna and pick those two out? Cos I can't find it mentioned anywhere reputable...

Really? I found lots more links online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Most racist country I have ever been to and a good reason not to go back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

Mixture really but i think the op was overwhelmed by some good experienced. Definitely not a true reflection of Australia though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

Jay D wrote: »
    Mixture really but i think the op was overwhelmed by some good experienced. Definitely not a true reflection of Australia though.

I'd say it is a true reflection, so there. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,509 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I'd say it is a true reflection, so there. :p

Maybe he should go to Alice Springs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

ch750536 wrote: »
    Most racist country I have ever been to and a good reason not to go back.

aw

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Helix wrote: »
    well, up until 30 years ago they werent
    True enough H. I've a zoology book for kids from the 1970's and it describes the various "races" and all are bunched together as human, save for the "primitive Australoid". Older scientific stuff was even more forthright about it. More than once they've been described as not far off a "missing link". Mad. :rolleyes: Sure many have some "primitive"* features in the skull, but so do many Europeans. Certainly more than Asians and Africans. Didn't stop Victorian types claiming with scientific backing that Africans were lesser, even though they have fewer archaic features. Ditto for Asians.

*depends on the definition of primitive though. Too easy to say this feature or that is primitive. Europeans and others can have large brow ridges, but they're totally different in structure to earlier humans ones.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

In Brisbane now. Not quite as many as I saw in Melbourne but still better than a lot of places in Ireland or in europe/UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Underdraft

I found a few people I met in Oz to be quite racist against Aboriginals (and also the Lebonese for some reason) but generally the people are just like anyone else. There also seemed to be a lot more Asian people in Melbourne than Sydney or anywhere else so maybe that's why the OP has got a very cosmopolitan impression of Australia.

OT, I did find it unexpected to not to see many black people in any of the cities. I'd say you'd probably see more black people in Dublin (and I'd hardly call that lot).

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭sureitsgrand

I must say I do laugh at posters who give out about Australians being racist and then go on to generalise by calling Australians uncultured, backward, rude etc......

Oh, the ironing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I must say I do laugh at posters who give out about Australians being racist and then go on to generalise by calling Australians uncultured, backward, rude etc......

Oh, the ironing.

Australian isn't a race.

People are discussing their experiences.

Nobody has suggested they hate or dislike Australians.

Sweet Jesus the pedantry.

Discrimination then.

And eh, they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Sweet Jesus the pedantry.

How dare you throw such accusations around! I've never touched a kid in my life!!

Ha, can't thank posts yet, but consider it thanked!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Gnobe wrote: »
    In Brisbane now. Not quite as many as I saw in Melbourne but still better than a lot of places in Ireland or in europe/UK.

Why don't you fcuking stay there then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Underdraft wrote: »
    OT, I did find it unexpected to not to see many black people in any of the cities. I'd say you'd probably see more black people in Dublin (and I'd hardly call that lot).

Really? I suppose you could say Aboriginals are 'black' or at least dark skinned but they only make up 3% of the population. There's been little to no immigration to Australia from Africa so not seeing many 'black' people isn't suprising at all really.

The only non African countries with large 'black' populations are those that used to have colonial empires (UK, France, Netherlands, Portugal and to a lesser extent Spain and Belgium) or those with a history of slavery-the United States, Cuba, Brazil etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cybercubed

One thing I noticed about Australia, it doesn't have a successful far right party. Unlike a lot of european countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

Tolerant, much they erect fences to keep abbo's out. And panes of glass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

LH Pathe wrote: »
    Tolerant, much they erect fences to keep abbo's out. And panes of glass

I would prefer you used the word Aboriginal, obviously you're nothing but an ignorant racist.

The fence is there to keep rabbits and dingo's out.

Don't quote me with your rubbish mandrake i'll shorten the word to my liking where I'm more concerned with stating their plight. They see abbo's as nothing more than rabbits and dingos racist, not entirely, strike a balance you slanderer

<mod note, user banned>

You could have used aboriginal same as everyone else in this thread, but Abbo is to aboriginal as the N word is to Negro.

I won't accept your feeble excuse of shortening or plight, you knew fine well what you were writing there.

Negro is not offensive. Fück this pc world I'm out

/mandrake... I may be a little bit old school, a little ruff around the edges a little curled up at the corners but bear with me - for my aim is true.

Negro is not offensive. Fück this pc world I'm out

Never said it was.... I said N word and you know fine well what I am talking about.

You are no better than some of the red necks in Australia, spouting your racist remarks.

by the way a lot of indigenous Australians are employed to maintain the Dog fence its hardly keeping them out when they just use the gates.

Ignorance at its best :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

mandrake04 wrote: »
    You are no better than some of the red necks in Australia, spouting your racist remarks.

by the way a lot of indigenous Australians are employed to maintain the Dog fence its hardly keeping them out when they just use the gates.

Ignorance at its best :rolleyes:

well it wasn't always like that. Tbh I like abbo's, I kinda look like one, n I have rather ironically yet more bizarrely had foreigner jibes from my own countrymen.. albeit particularly pale ones so let's trot on.

/just a thing.. spare us a dollar m8?

well it wasn't always like that. Tbh I like abbo's, I kinda look like one, n I have rather ironically yet more bizarrely had foreigner jibes from my own countrymen.. albeit particularly pale ones so let's trot on.

You are still using that word again, I repeat what's wrong with using Aboriginal or Indigenous Australian?

Are you a serial racist trying to gauge a reaction on here?

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Are you a serial racist trying to gauge a reaction on here?

I am trying to guage a dollar m8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

cant you just cop on when you're actually visibly insulting someone and derailing a thread due to constant arguing.

actually on topic:

Haven't been to Australia but Id wonder are they feeling the impact of so many Irish emmigrants now coming over there to work as well as Canada must be. Or due to the size of their countries, is it barely a splash in a massive pool so to speak?

It's a well worn path by now luvvie.. The IT trail from here to Oz commenced in the last century. And only incresed with this recessive business.. they're sick of us, and I'd be too.

cant you just cop on when you're actually visibly insulting someone and derailing a thread due to constant arguing.

actually on topic:

Haven't been to Australia but Id wonder are they feeling the impact of so many Irish emmigrants now coming over there to work as well as Canada must be. Or due to the size of their countries, is it barely a splash in a massive pool so to speak?

Last year was the highest 3700 Irish people emigrated to Australia 2010-2011 that's 2.2% of the migrant intake.

I would surprised if we even reach that number this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭IrishEyes19

It's a well worn path by now luvvie.. The IT trail from here to Oz commenced in the last century. And only incresed with this recessive business.. they're sick of us, and I'd be too.

luvvie? :rolleyes:

Regarding the size of Australia however and the companies calling for young workers to come over, I'm surprised the numbers from here even weigh anything. If anything Australia is getting a lot of really educated young graduates as well as skilled labourers and IT people. But as I said, in terms of their population, does it make an impact on their jobs availability for native australians I wonder.

Don't worry about it Luvvie, for you're dame edna average.

And remember only about equal percent is actually inhabited. The population is only around 22million, for such a big country.

What was the fairly recent hit movie from there with the young Irish psychopath who terrorized a woman, he actually genuinely scared me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Ok so you have just used both a racial slur and suggested the aborigines are beggars in the same post.

*golf clap*

I take considerable offense at that word being used and I can assure you we are not all beggars*.

*Im mixed caste before you ask**.

** and yes I can play the didjeriu ***

*** no I cant throw a boomerang. I cant get the big bastards to fly right. The real ones arent meant to come back, they are meant to twat a running kangaroo.

Aw strewth, guys all I know is a came into receivership of an lp by a group called Abbo, many years ago and it influenced me profoundly.

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr162/Murphyplatoon/GreatNewBand.jpg

<mod note, banned for trolling>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Trolly McTroll is obvious tbh

• Advertisement
Advertisement