Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opening a small garden centre any advice?

Options
  • 03-02-2012 5:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭

Hi lads, i own a hardware/DIY shop and am expanding the gardening section to include a garden centre. We've always sold tools, mowers, decking but never plants or shrubs.
    I freed up a bit of space in the yard due to downturn in building and it is easily convertible to a garden centre but I'm afraid that's where my knowledge ends. Obviously can't afford a horticulturist full time but will look at one part time later but need to get up and going soon.
    Have some ideas and we are getting advice from suppliers but also would love some advice on the must haves for a garden centre or what you feel there should be in a decent centre.

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi buck65,best of luck with your new aventure.was working in the states last year,they are very much into displays and little workshops for diys,patios timber fencing,pond construction,ect jack

• Registered Users Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Take a bit of time to visit all the garden centres and places where they sell plants in the area. See how they do it, how they present plants. Are they busy or do they look a bit desperate? Look for a niche that is not being covered. Plenty of people - including the big diy stores - sell the bog standard range of everyday shrubs. I am not suggesting you stock exotics, but you need a bit of an angle.

It also needs to look very inviting with some shelving/raised tables for plants, and lots of flowering stuff in season.

Since you mainly do diy, why not build some really nice raised beds (a stone one, brick one, wooden one etc) and plant them (they can be planted in pots with a bit of compost over, so they can be kept fresh and attractive), that way you will be able to sell the makings of the beds as well as the plants.

You are selling an idea - goodness my garden could look like that! - rather than just a selection of shrubs in pots. People generally are very short on ideas, and are very willing to be given them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Think about a polytunnel as a year round nursery so you can raise your own plants for next to nothing or even free (from seed and cuttings). Growing annuals in small plug trays would be a great little earner. As would strawberry plants, you can take 4 or 5 new runners from one plant each summer and increase your stock many fold for absoultely nothing. Sell them the following april - usual prices would be 6 - 10 euros for a tray of six. The sky's the limit. Check for threads here for advice on tunnels, where to get them, prices etc. About 1000 euros would get you a good sized one. A part-time horticulturist would be ideal until you get up to speed yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Depends on how much you want to put into it with time and money.

I know my local hire store tried this last year and despite "ok stock" it didn't work. More to do with location and marketing than anything else I think for them. The had the pull for hire customers but not for people buying plants.

It might be worthwhile testing the waters this year with annuals/bedding hanging baskets/window boxes. It would cost to much to establish this and it could help to show you if you have the market or not.

If it's a longterm goal I would agree with Looksee and also Redser's idea of the polytunnel. This is something I'm hoping to myself this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Thanks alot guys for the help some sound suggestions there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

The recession has made everyone price concious but there are still opportunities. You have to look at your main competition. If you can't compete on price then you have to offer something that they can't.

One gripe that I have with a lot of the DIY's & Garden Centres is you see exactly the same stock, especially with tools. I have to travel to one garden centre as they are the only one stocking Wolf Garten tools. Plants are totally different to normal stock in that they need constant care & can easily become hard to sell when they are out of season/condition. They can also die & end up costing you more to grow than you can sell them for.

I would make up a little questionnaire & I would give one to every customer that comes into your shop. Use it as a promotion by numbering each one & having a prize draw. So find out what your customers would like to see & buy.

Advertisement