Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1848 Tricolour Festival

Options
  • 03-02-2012 5:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

Great little event happening for the 2nd year this year ..... Fair Play to all involved in it!

www.1848tricolour.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭jad2007

Saw the flyer for this in the local boozer, as you said OP fair play. I alwys thought that Waterford did not make a big enough deal about this.

imho Waterford as a city should have made more of its history as one of the main selling points of the city. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭somahoney74

jad2007 wrote: »
    Saw the flyer for this in the local boozer, as you said OP fair play. I alwys thought that Waterford did not make a big enough deal about this.

imho Waterford as a city should have made more of its history as one of the main selling points of the city. :)

Couldn't agree more, push it big in all the schools, get the kids wanting to attend and the parents will have to follow, fair play and good luck to all involved!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Sut mae!

Couldn't agree more, push it big in all the schools, get the kids wanting to attend and the parents will have to follow, fair play and good luck to all involved!!

Hello. I'm a long time lurker here and originally from Waterford.

Anyway, in relation to this, I certainly don't agree with the above post. While I think it's fine to celebrate the city's history and the story of the flag I do not think it would be a good idea to be pushing it's associated political agenda in schools - not everyone is a nationalist and it could feel intimidating to unionists (there are more than you would think) or those who are not Irish . It's just not the right sort of thing for the classroom.

It should be advertised more to the public really, thats all. They have only a very small advertising/promotion around waterford and nothing at all really in other parts of the state. They need to promote it on TV or in the national papers in order for the event to reach it's maximum potential.

The reason I feel this way is largely because of my experience in a catholic primary shcool where the head master was a fanatical nationalist to the point of putting everyone off. When i was in 6th class the bugger was still on "de ban" - no-one was allowed play soccer in the school yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Sut mae! wrote: »

Anyway, in relation to this, I certainly don't agree with the above post. While I think it's fine to celebrate the city's history and the story of the flag I do not think it would be a good idea to be pushing it's associated political agenda in schools - not everyone is a nationalist and it could feel intimidating to unionists (there are more than you would think) or those who are not Irish . It's just not the right sort of thing for the classroom.

It should be advertised more to the public really, thats all. They have only a very small advertising/promotion around waterford and nothing at all really in other parts of the state. They need to promote it on TV or in the national papers in order for the event to reach it's maximum potential.

The reason I feel this way is largely because of my experience in a catholic primary shcool where the head master was a fanatical nationalist to the point of putting everyone off. When i was in 6th class the bugger was still on "de ban" - no-one was allowed play soccer in the school yard.

Can you imagine if you had that attitude in the United States coming up to the 4th of July!? You'd probably be lynched!

Considering that most of our schools are state schools, why should they not be entitled to promote the celebration of our flag?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭O Riain

Sut mae! wrote: »

I had the pleasure of being in the USA for the 4th of July. I despise the American government and everything they stand for and do but this never once crossed my mind while celebrating with the Americans. It might offend unionists but we are in the republic after all and that doesnt stop them up in the north from celebrating july 12th does it now.

• Advertisement

I cant understand how celebrating the history of the our flag is "nationalist". Surely people in every country try and celebrate the history of their flag.

If you look at the Tricolour website its fairly clear that the original idea was to unite the different factions within Ireland of the time.

I dont think there is a agenda i think its about celebrating a major event in the history of Waterford.

Another major event was the marriage of Aoife and Strongbow. Personally i dont agree with the idea of Gaelic warlords running the country or invading Norman princes but if someone organised a Aoife& Strongbow marriage banquet i would pop along.

All is clear, Ive looked at Sut mae other comments today in other threads. I should have spotted the little monster under the bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mullanimal

Hi Guys, this is a celebration of peace, the true meaning behind the flag as Meagher intended. Peace between Catholics and Protestants.

Unfortunately the committee have limited funding from government. Any monies they received are from kind donations from businesses and individuals.

Beat 102/103 are involved this year and so it is getting coverage in the South East. If anyone out there wants to sponsor a TV ad contact info@1848tricolour.com

A colouring competition has been promoted to all schools in Waterford and through beat: http://www.1848tricolour.com/index.php?contentid=colouring-competition

I sincerely hope schools outside Waterford take it up, the competition is open to kids from all over Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,603 ✭✭✭200motels

I thought last years event was boring to the extreme. Hopefully this years will be better, I'll support it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

200motels wrote: »
    I thought last years event was boring to the extreme. Hopefully this years will be better, I'll support it anyway.
    its only early days yet, give them a chance for a bit of recognition and good things will come

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

hardybuck wrote: »
    Can you imagine if you had that attitude in the United States coming up to the 4th of July!? You'd probably be lynched!

Good thing or bad thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭comeraghs

This coming weekend Ladies & Gentlemen!

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

i see mount misery has been painted in the green white and gold too

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭invalid

i see mount misery has been painted in the green white and gold too

No, it has been painted Green, White and Orange as per the flag

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

bumpy bump!

spread the word and get along to this celebration, as Waterfordians we should have so much pride that our national flag, recognised the world over, was presented and first flown in our city, thats quite an amazing thing so unique to Waterford, have pride in your city country and flag - support this event.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

nice_very wrote: »
    bumpy bump!

spread the word and get along to this celebration, as Waterfordians we should have so much pride that our national flag, recognised the world over, was presented and first flown in our city, thats quite an amazing thing so unique to Waterford, have pride in your city country and flag - support this event.

what exactly are we to celebrate? the flag that was flown in waterford in 1848 was a bit different to the tricolour we have today, it was backward with the orange to the flagpole like italys, it had a big red hand of ulster in the middle , and was made by some frisky revolutionary ladies in france who fell for mr meaghers charms ,drink to that..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Stick to the Hoffmans.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Is this Sunday or Monday?

Ah I see its starting today and Sunday is the main event.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭nice_very

hoffmans....... take it down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

alright its time to celebrate the work of a raging alcholic who mis led over 3 thousand irish emigrants to their deaths in the american civil war , fell off his horse in the horrors then went & fell off a steamboat into the misissippi never to be seen again....:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

On Pat Kennys show now

www.rte.ie/radio1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

Surely no one believes anything written in the Independant :p

Typhoon. wrote: »
    Surely no one believes anything written in the Independant :p

It was also in the journal.ie

Is this more of the establishment trying to muddy the waters a little and create confusion for the public and destroy the annual tri colour festival and what it might become?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Typhoon.

do the Journal not just regurgitate news anyway?:P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I tweeted the journal yesterday about the flags connection to waterford, which they acknowledged and pointed to an earlier article about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

Did anyone see the article about an Enniscorthy town councillor claiming that Waterford stole Enniscorthy's thunder by celebrating the first flying of the tricolour?

http://www.newrossstandard.ie/local-notes/councillors-flag-tricolour-celebrations-3069149.html

Did anyone see the article about an Enniscorthy town councillor claiming that Waterford stole Enniscorthy's thunder by celebrating the first flying of the tricolour?

http://www.newrossstandard.ie/local-notes/councillors-flag-tricolour-celebrations-3069149.html

You just have to laugh at all the childish games being played, nothing happens for 150 odd years, then wateford comes up with a tri colour festival, and everybody tries to get on the band wagon , or start claiming their town/person was the one to design/fly the flag etc.:mad:

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/tricolour-is-finally-raised-two-famous-patriots-3074596.html
    Indo article is full of mistakes, it says that Hollywood brought flag to Ireland forgets to mention that he was a junior member of the delegation led by Meagher. Hilariously it also refers to a flag of Green, White and Gold. Their is some choice comments left beneath the piece.

• Advertisement
Advertisement