Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waste/ Composting Bin services in Charlesland

Options
  • 03-02-2012 5:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭

Hello everyone,

We are moving to Charlesland at the end of the month. I'm sure this topic has probably been brought up before just wondering if anyone has any advice on the best bin collections/prices etc. Or if anyone could point me in the direction of previous posts (I'm useless)

Only the two of us, so wont be a large amount of waste, probably fall under the minimum lifts category. Or does anyone just use the bags?

On a side not, anyone know where to get reasonable/ reduced price composting bins? Have tried the council but no answer yet.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

aev wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

We are moving to Charlesland at the end of the month. I'm sure this topic has probably been brought up before just wondering if anyone has any advice on the best bin collections/prices etc. Or if anyone could point me in the direction of previous posts (I'm useless)

Only the two of us, so wont be a large amount of waste, probably fall under the minimum lifts category. Or does anyone just use the bags?

On a side not, anyone know where to get reasonable/ reduced price composting bins? Have tried the council but no answer yet.

Thanks in advance!
    hi welcome to charlesland...we use access waste bags for e4.50 you get a blue waste bag and a clear recycleing bag...they come every tuesday before ten am....we recycle ourselves too..into boghall rd.bray...greenstuff goes into a compost bin in the garden and any leftover food stuff we bring down and feed to the seagulls and crows in the harbour...got it down to one set of bags a month usually..you can buy them in eugenes on main st and the petrol station in kilpedder..

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭aev

Maudi wrote: »
    hi welcome to charlesland...we use access waste bags for e4.50 you get a blue waste bag and a clear recycleing bag...they come every tuesday before ten am....we recycle ourselves too..into boghall rd.bray...greenstuff goes into a compost bin in the garden and any leftover food stuff we bring down and feed to the seagulls and crows in the harbour...got it down to one set of bags a month usually..you can buy them in eugenes on main st and the petrol station in kilpedder..

Thanks Maudi!
    Sounds good. Thought it would be more expensive. Hoping to keep it down to that amount as well.
    Does the recycling bag take tins/ paper/ plastic etc?
    I'm presuming it doesn't cover glass?

Thanks again!

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭dr ro

is there a signing on fee or contract with access. Are you limited in number of bags per week and how big are the bags. Thanks.

dr ro wrote: »

is there a signing on fee or contract with access. Are you limited in number of bags per week and how big are the bags. Thanks.
    no theres no fee for bags.no sign up jus buy your bags for 4.50 and leave em out early on a tuesday morning...the bags are a quiet generous size..wider than greenstar and about the same length

Thanks Maudi!
    Sounds good. Thought it would be more expensive. Hoping to keep it down to that amount as well.

Thanks again!
    no dosent take glass.everything else tho...by the way boghall rd recycleing center has the compost bins ..not sure of the price tho..probly cheaper than the council

• Advertisement

Thanks Maudi!

Thanks again!
    no dosent take glass.everything else tho...by the way boghall rd recycleing center has the compost bins ..not sure of the price tho..probly cheaper than the council
    sorry guys the waste bage are eurowaste not access waste as i said earlier...same details tho..450 for two bags.one waste one recyclring..eugens or kilpeddar among other places

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

better off getting wheelie bins IMO - Eurowaste is 295 for weekly recycling, fortnightly general waste and 6-weekly glass. Marginally more expensive than the bags but my experience with bags is you put them out the night before and half the time they get torn apart by cats or foxes.

loyatemu wrote: »
    better off getting wheelie bins IMO - Eurowaste is 295 for weekly recycling, fortnightly general waste and 6-weekly glass. Marginally more expensive than the bags but my experience with bags is you put them out the night before and half the time they get torn apart by cats or foxes.
    as i said in my previous post eurowaste collect in charlesland every tuesday and they take both bags waste (blue) and recycleing (clear)on the tuesday.usually about 9am..i buy one set of bags (2 bags)for four euros fifty cents once a month..that costs me fifty four euro a year..i buy the bags in the friendly petrol station in kilpedder i have also bought them in eugenes..and ive yet to see a fox (but would love to) charlesland..im always lookin for ways to save money so i recycle everything i can into bray..green waste goes into garden compost.any bits of bread crusts.dinner waste or leftovers go into a bag for harbour birds.as a result one lift a month and is sufficent for us (3).

Thanks to everyone for the replies. You all helped a lot. I think we will start off with the bags and try our best to recycle and reuse. We might have to resort to the wheelie bins but sure we'll give it a try!

Thanks Maudi for the information on the composting bins. Have been trying to contact Wicklow County Council but no word yet. I need to take a trip into Bray I think!

Just in case anyone is interested.
    A full list of stockists of the Eurowaste bags:

Arklow:
    Quinns Newsagent Dublin Road
    Kavanaghs Wexford Road
    Liam De Paor
    7/11 Shop Lower Green
    Arklow Memorials

Bray:
    Boghall Stores, Boghall Road
    The Grove Fruit & Veg
    The Gem, Quinsboro Road
    Bernies XL Store
    The Green Tree – Herbert Road
    Grove Produce – Boghall Road
    XL Shop – Boghall Road
    Deveneys – Albert Avenue
    Costcutters – Sunnybank

Greystones:
    Eugene''s Newsagents, Church Road
    Blacklion Stores - Blacklion

Newtownmountkennedy:
    Centra, Newtownmountkennedy

Rathnew:
    XL Store, Rathnew

Kilcoole/Kilpedder :
    Bellas Kilcoole,
    Margaritas Kilpedder
    XL Shop Newcastle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭bido

Loyatemu,have u a bin for glass from Eurowaste,Wr are with them too for 295eper year but we don,t have a glass collection?thanks in advance,

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

bido wrote: »
    Loyatemu,have u a bin for glass from Eurowaste,Wr are with them too for 295eper year but we don,t have a glass collection?thanks in advance,

We went with ozo, 260 for fortnightly collections! Glass included too!

Just phoned Eurowaste re glass coll. n they said its an extra 50e a year for glass coll.
    :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

bido wrote: »
    Just phoned Eurowaste re glass coll. n they said its an extra 50e a year for glass coll.
    :mad:

Yeah, they don't seem to be even trying to compete with Ozo any more. When we complained that our old bins hadn't been collected 2 weeks after having cancelled our account, they told us there was a big backlog, which is worrying.

Ozo seem to be priced very well, I wonder are they the cheapest? Eurowaste seem to be priceing themselves out of the market.

yeah I got a bill for glass collection from Eurowaste today - last year it was included. Not paying 50 notes just to save a few trips to the bottle bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭amy1plus2

Do any of the companies do weekly refuse collections anymore? I see Eurowaste have now halved their collections to 26 per year and kept their prices the same - infuriating :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Ozo do weekly waste collections and the recycling every second week...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭hamstervision

JanneG wrote: »
    Ozo do weekly waste collections and the recycling every second week...

...and, unfortunately for Eurowaste, Ozo are significantly cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭amy1plus2

when i look on the ozo website, it says they do only do 26 lifts per year - does anyone else do weekly general collections? thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

amy1plus2 wrote: »
    when i look on the ozo website, it says they do only do 26 lifts per year - does anyone else do weekly general collections? thanks in advance
    Is this any help, they collect refuse every week and recyclables every forthnight

http://www.greenstar.ie/docs/2012/calendars/wicklow%20g%20(route%20106)%20calendar%202012.pdf

OZO do appear a lot cheaper than Eurowaste now, - anyone using them, are they ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

Like clockwork, have had no issues in 4 odd years...

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

some chancers using the communal bins in Seabourne view

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Ozo do 26 lifts a year for that price but the bin collection is every week. If you need more lifts it is possible but assuming you will need to pay more! Just moved to Ozo this year as Eurowaste got too expensive for us!

Advertisement