Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlords, rent supplement & losing your job

Options
  • 03-02-2012 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi guys,

If rented accomodation is advertised as "rent supplement/allowance not accepted" then what are the implications if you are working when you move in but then later become unemployed?

What if at the time you move in you are on a temporary or fixed term contract so an interval of unemployment down the road is forseeable? If you tell them you are working will Irish landlords typically want to see evidence that you're in a permanent, secure position?

I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

Experienced landlords will require proof of employment and will contact your place of work to ensure this.
    I use a three page written application form to be completed by the prospective tenant which asks him for certain details, all of which are verifiable.

However, no matter how many checks are made a landlord or tenant cannot foresee when a tenant may lose his job. I also ask a prospective tenant if he would be able to pay from his own funds the rent to the end of the term, or for six months or for 3 months.

As a general rule, where a false representation is made knowingly (fraudulent misrepresentation) and it has the result of inducing another party to enter into a contract, the party who was misled may sue for rescission of the contract and/or may sue for damages in the tort of deceit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 JCS

Thanks for the reply. In my own case I would have sufficient savings to continue to pay rent for quite a long period if I became unemployed, and I could provide evidence of this. But I'd want to claim rent supplement if entitled to it. Would a landlord really refuse to accept this just to avoid paperwork?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

JCS wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. In my own case I would have sufficient savings to continue to pay rent for quite a long period if I became unemployed, and I could provide evidence of this. But I'd want to claim rent supplement if entitled to it. Would a landlord really refuse to accept this just to avoid paperwork?
    Some will some won't.
    What a landlord wants to know is if the tenant is going to be able to pay his rent for the term of the lease and that his property is not going to be wrecked. So, for my part, I would consider you in this situation, subject to your response to the other 60 odd questions on the application form.
    I find that an undesirable type of person takes a look at the form and all the questions and immediately decides this is not for him!

Advertisement