Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Botched Job for LC Physics

• 03-02-2012 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Long story short I had my mocks today and physics and chemistry were up today. Chemistry was an a1 grade easily, the paper was lovely. I also get very good grinds in chemistry and have a great teacher in school. Physics went crap. I either failed or barely passed. My teacher is crap. I got grinds in it for one year from a guy. Neither gave nor give notes, and I'm pretty much f#cked. I've two options 4 months before the LC, either study the crap out it myself and try to get the a1 in physics because I know it's in me, or take up biology. What the hell should I do?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

4 months is too short for the biology course.our book is 450 pages long. thats 100 pages a month to do plus revision. Stick with the physics. The only hard part about physics is understanding the concepts and once you can do so its easy. I had my physics mock today and I easily got an A1. In fifth year I failed my summer exam but look at me now!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Prekojak93

Stick with it. Use thephysicsteacher.ie for notes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Prekojak93 wrote: »
    Stick with it. Use thephysicsteacher.ie for notes
    +1 for the physics teacher. Its amazing! Also if your with Eircom, Study Hub is pretty good! Tbh from what I've heard Physics is the easiest science, and obviously you've a thing for sciences. Just work hard with Physics and once you understand the harder things like the modern physics and Electricity the rest will come to you! I personally love the subject :D good luck with it anyway :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I think physics very much seems to come together at the end, if you work hard at it I'm sure you'll be able to do well. It's too late to switch to biology, that'd be a huge risk this late in the year as it's a really long course!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Yeah I'm royally ****ed for Physics. I'd say 75% of the time in class I haven't a notion of what's going on. Only took it up caus I'd no other option, gutted :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 BritBrit

You'd be lucky to get a few chapters done in biology between now and the LC
    Stick with physics

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I thought I failed Physics in the leaving. I came out with a B. Just focus on it one question at a time. Don't worry if you're leaving out mechanics or electricity or whatever your bad section is. Do the bits you can manage in them and focus on the stuff you're good at. You have the time to focus on the bad sections, but that's my advice if you feel that you don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

For physics, go through your book/notes, pick out all the important formulae and write them down on a card in just their variable for (i.e. V = IR) and then off each letter have an arrow pointing to the full name of each (v
    > voltage, I
    > current, etc.) and keep them divided into sections (Electromagnetism, mechanics, etc.)

Then go through and check if there are any definitions that are worded very differently to their formulas or arent given a formula for (None spring to mind atm) and write them down too.

Write down definitions of units, of laws, of everything on cards sorted into sections also.

And lastly, write down Experimental procedures, diagrams and precautions.

These are the basis of a large percentage of the leaving cert physics paper, so learn them all and you will have no problem passing. After all these you have to go deeper and find the little concepts that are sprinkled throughout the course that will get you up to an A1 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I didn't have any notes for physics (any I had were self-made). I simply used Real World Physics and Exam Edge Physics, along with the internet if any concepts needed extra explaining. Would strongly recommend Exam Edge Physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭I_ENJOY_BATHS

I have an issue with physics. I consider(ed) it my best and favourite subject and have no problems understanding all the concepts, got As in most class tests up until now.

I did my mock a few days ago, and it went disastrously :( I only answered 4 or the 5 long questions because I hadn't a clue how on Earth to go about answering the others, I really really want an A1 cos I've been working so hard but that mock knocked all of the confidence out of me :(

What should I do from here?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I have an issue with physics. I consider(ed) it my best and favourite subject and have no problems understanding all the concepts, got As in most class tests up until now.

I did my mock a few days ago, and it went disastrously :( I only answered 4 or the 5 long questions because I hadn't a clue how on Earth to go about answering the others, I really really want an A1 cos I've been working so hard but that mock knocked all of the confidence out of me :(

Have you been doing exam questions yet? If you're used to doing them, you'll find answering the real questions in June a lot easier. And I don't see how you can expect an A1 if you're not used to both the style of questions and how to best answer them.
    Ask your classmates and your teacher what they thought of the paper. There are some horrific mock papers out there. I don't know what they're like this year as I did my exam a couple of years ago. It could have been a bad paper or some of the questions could have been a little off.

In the end, it's the mocks. They're there so that you can screw up on them, learn what you're bad at and hopefully fix that before June. They don't count for anything really so just try learn from your mistakes now.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sganyfx

Biology you can get a decent B, from just knowing your experiments and unit 1 and two, all of which are extremely easy, but stick with physics as there is very little learning in it once you understand the concepts and can do maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

If you had the DEB paper don't worry I think everyone in the country found that horrible. My grinds teacher even said that it was a difficult paper.

Aoifums wrote: »
    Have you been doing exam questions yet? If you're used to doing them, you'll find answering the real questions in June a lot easier. And I don't see how you can expect an A1 if you're not used to both the style of questions and how to best answer them.
    Ask your classmates and your teacher what they thought of the paper. There are some horrific mock papers out there. I don't know what they're like this year as I did my exam a couple of years ago. It could have been a bad paper or some of the questions could have been a little off.

In the end, it's the mocks. They're there so that you can screw up on them, learn what you're bad at and hopefully fix that before June. They don't count for anything really so just try learn from your mistakes now.

I have been doing exam questions, and I am usually able to do most of them well.

Everyone seems to have thought the paper was horrible, I got my result today - 58%. One guy got a higher mark of 78%. A few more got Ds and the rest failed. The teacher said it was tougher than usual.

I just hope it is possible for me to bring myself up 30 odd percent.

daz801 wrote: »
    If you had the DEB paper don't worry I think everyone in the country found that horrible. My grinds teacher even said that it was a difficult paper.

I did the DEB paper, and yes, the universal consensus is that it was extremely difficult.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 141 ✭✭HPMS

I haven't done the mock yet, but now I'm worried! What was hard about it? Was it that it asked really specific information or something?? :eek:

HPMS wrote: »
    I haven't done the mock yet, but now I'm worried! What was hard about it? Was it that it asked really specific information or something?? :eek:
    It just awkwardly frased the questions and they weren't the usual questions that come up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

daz801 wrote: »
    It just awkwardly frased the questions and they weren't the usual questions that come up.
    Any chance you could scan up the paper or email it to me? Our school did a different mock and it was handy enough so I wouldnt mind trying this mock to gauge where I am at? You'd be doing me a huge favour but I understand if you simply aren't bothered!

Any chance you could scan up the paper or email it to me? Our school did a different mock and it was handy enough so I wouldnt mind trying this mock to gauge where I am at? You'd be doing me a huge favour but I understand if you simply aren't bothered!

Just did the mock. It was pretty hard, alright. You really had to try and use your head, I just hope I got the honor in it. I could email you the paper, if you wouldn't mind emailing me the examcraft? I'd like to see the comparison! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Leaving Cert Student

Just did the mock. It was pretty hard, alright. You really had to try and use your head, I just hope I got the honor in it. I could email you the paper, if you wouldn't mind emailing me the examcraft? I'd like to see the comparison! :)

Yeah sound pm me you email... I think I left eh copy in school but I'll grab it tomorrow morning :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

Just did my mock today as well, that paper was something else.... lads, I know it's still a few months to go and there's plenty of work to be done, but should I be getting worried? :confused: If the real paper in June is like that, then I can't see myself doing so well :(

Like I've been going through past exam papers and marking schemes and I don't find them too bad, but that one came as a bit of a shock :pac:

curly135 wrote: »
    Just did my mock today as well, that paper was something else.... lads, I know it's still a few months to go and there's plenty of work to be done, but should I be getting worried? :confused: If the real paper in June is like that, then I can't see myself doing so well :(

Like I've been going through past exam papers and marking schemes and I don't find them too bad, but that one came as a bit of a shock :pac:

I know right, I'm seriously getting worried! Like some of the questions were impossible... Like the one with the
    mirror and finding out what height it had to be to see the Image of 2m in it or even the atomic physics was tricky enough to with the filling in the boxes. And the section A questions which are usually so easy, were hard!
    I don't know whether it was just the mock paper or whether I should be getting worried! :eek:

Got my mock back today. Only got 46% but was one of only 9 out of 16 in the class to pass, 2 of which were ordinary level students.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭curly135

I don't know whether it was just the mock paper or whether I should be getting worried! :eek:

Yeah, I'm hoping it was just a lousy paper, a lot of the questions were kind of applied stuff... I hadn't a clue what to do with that one :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I got 31%. What the fcuk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 200 ✭✭mulciber

Methememb wrote: »
    I got 31%. What the fcuk?

I got 42% and I was lucky to get even that. =/ It must have been the worst
    physics mock paper ever though. That's what my physics teacher says anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

This is seriously making me want to drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭YoursSincerely

i thought ye might have been exagerating how bad the paper was as i had not sat mine yet...... That was just horrible! Physics was meant to be my A1 and now i dont know whats going on that was so bad:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Mocks are not an indication of the difficulty of the real paper by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Nintomdo94

Physics has got to be the one subject that i can't get my head around, followed by irish because simply it just doesn't suit me..

Physic's paper was hard enough, i just went with the flow of the others in the room doing the exam and just tried to write anything that came to mind...

Which was nothing...

Advertisement