Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I haz job?

Options
  • 03-02-2012 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else looking for part-time work? Have been for a while but not much luck yet.... anyone got any advice.. best tactics, best approach, good job sites and such? Also is there somewhere on campus that provide info and help students in looking for work

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

I'm in the same boat. I got word that I'm graduating in August after passing resits at Christmas but its being overshadowed by my unemployment. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Can't find part-time work for love nor money. It's impossible to find part-time work - a lot harder than finding full-time work, it's virtually impossible to be a full-time student and keep your head above water. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

Good luck finding a job anywhere these days- I've been handing out CVs everywhere since September, and still nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 43 OmegaRed10

Has anyone ever tried the Careers office in the Library? Not exactly sure what they do in there but can only imagine it would be aimed at recent graduates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Meow_Meow

Ah, I thought we were talking about part-time work while studying? A job after graduating is a different story altogether

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,011 ✭✭✭✭bnt

There's a jobs fair on in Dublin this weekend: http://www.careerzoo.ie/
    Last time I went to one of these things was in 1999, but it did eventually lead to a job...

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Try really unlikely places OP, that's how I got all my previous part time jobs, including my current one.

Everybody throws CV's into bars and shops and hotels, be creative. I know that's easier said then done but try everywhere, admin and clerical jobs are really good ones to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Try really unlikely places OP, that's how I got all my previous part time jobs, including my current one.

Everybody throws CV's into bars and shops and hotels, be creative. I know that's easier said then done but try everywhere, admin and clerical jobs are really good ones to get.

Thanks for advice, wouldn't mind admin and clerical job at all ( would nearly prefer it) Would you reckon that the job sites are worth trying for or is it better the old-fashioned way for the most part? What other unlikely places could I try... my stumbling block is I have some experience but not in the traditional places like Retail, bar or hospitality :(

If people want to give advice... or just brainstorm in general about part-time jobs and such perhaps if we can keep it here? Also my focus was moreso on part-time jobs while in college rather than jobs for graduates...think that would be better suited to another thread

cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Clerical work is all I know I'm afraid :D. I got my break a few years back and all my part time jobs have been in that field ever since, never worked in a shop or bar. If you have a sound manager and alright work colleagues they're generally far nicer than retail by the sounds of it. Indoors, own desk etc.

Definately have a look at the job sites, while I dislike it personally jobs.ie throws up the odd gem now and again. For clerical work these are key. Michael Guineys in town were hiring some general office staff a few months back for weekend work, Onyl experience needed was the ability to type and use basic software packages Excel etc.

Keep an eye on publicjobs.ie also. With the hiring freeze there may not be much around but clerical work used to pop up a good bit.

Network as much as you can around college and in general, you might hear of a reception or office that needs cover for a day or two-gives you some contacts for future employment perhaps.

Factory work can be another handy one according to a few people I know. No idea how they went about getting it though.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Unfortunately, depending on the line of work, students tend to have a poor rep amongst a lot of employers.
    I used to employ a lot of students but currently try to avoid them as much as possible.

The work that I have is on a 'Part-time-Casual' basis - i.e. could be 5 nights this week, 2 next week, 4 the week after or possibly nothing any given week :-(
    Not the best I know but it's an interesting line of work that students tend to love!!
    The problem is, once they're settled in, they tend to get choosy about which nights they want to work. Saturdays tend to be a No-No (Some of them head back down home at weekends etc) and Christmas and Summer they use the exam excuse - at a time when I usually need them most. I also know some bar and shop owners that have the same problem. It's very frustrating for an employer when an employee is dictating what hours they can work.

Only last Saturday, (and not for the first time!!) I had someone claiming that they couldn't work as they had an exam. At 6:30 pm on a Saturday evening!!!

Mind you, they're not the only ones - I have a number of 'Unemployed' people that are regularly not available to work!! Figure that one out !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gradlife

It is entirely possible that your employee had an exam on a Saturday evening. In saying that he could have been lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

gradlife wrote: »
    It is entirely possible that your employee had an exam on a Saturday evening. In saying that he could have been lying.

Who does exams on Saturday evenings?? (Genuine question BTW)
    I had never come across this before last year. Now I've been given that excuse three times in the last 12 months or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gradlife

UCD for example, I don't have experience with other colleges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Unfortunately, depending on the line of work, students tend to have a poor rep amongst a lot of employers.
    I used to employ a lot of students but currently try to avoid them as much as possible.

The work that I have is on a 'Part-time-Casual' basis - i.e. could be 5 nights this week, 2 next week, 4 the week after or possibly nothing any given week :-(
    Not the best I know but it's an interesting line of work that students tend to love!!
    The problem is, once they're settled in, they tend to get choosy about which nights they want to work. Saturdays tend to be a No-No (Some of them head back down home at weekends etc) and Christmas and Summer they use the exam excuse - at a time when I usually need them most. I also know some bar and shop owners that have the same problem. It's very frustrating for an employer when an employee is dictating what hours they can work.

Only last Saturday, (and not for the first time!!) I had someone claiming that they couldn't work as they had an exam. At 6:30 pm on a Saturday evening!!!

Mind you, they're not the only ones - I have a number of 'Unemployed' people that are regularly not available to work!! Figure that one out !!

I had two Saturday exams over the Christmas, including one at 6.30pm, which meant I had to give away my ticket to the Leinster v Bath game on in Lansdowne Road, and it was a 2 hour exam also.

I don't blame you for not believing it though, I couldn't believe it whilst sitting in an exam on a Saturday night. On the plus side, there were plenty of girls tarted up in the exam hall, ready to head out straight after, which made a bizzare distraction, perving during an exam.

Also, I NEED to work big time, and can't find part-time work for love nor money, i'm a mature student (28) and my fiancee works most weekends / saturday nights, and I'd be more than happy to work every weekend, or take whatever hours are going.

If you need someone genuine and reliable, my word as my honor, I'm that guy, just want to work and would appreciate just having a job, so if there's ANY chance you need someone, please PM me.

pwease+TAB.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

A possible job could be to give Junior and/or Leaving Cert grinds. It is coming to the time of year where those students will be studying hard so will be looking for grinds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Pacifist Pigeon

CAN I HAZ JOB?????

1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭suzie987

A possible job could be to give Junior and/or Leaving Cert grinds. It is coming to the time of year where those students will be studying hard so will be looking for grinds.

I know it's not ideal but grinds can be handy to do if your stuck for money. I don't like doing second level grinds (mainly because I cannot remember any of the curriculum!).

You can use the UCD grindsfile website or a website like www.gumtree.ie. However, it is very seasonal work. January/February/March are very quiet for what I do but then come summertime I can be really busy!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

I have so much experience in so many things and I've gotten rid of about 100 CVs between jobs.ie, fás.ie and handing ones in.. it would crush your soul to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

aine92 wrote: »
    I have so much experience in so many things and I've gotten rid of about 100 CVs between jobs.ie, fás.ie and handing ones in.. it would crush your soul to say the least.

Ah well... at least you didn't get rejected from McDonalds... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Ah well... at least you didn't get rejected from McDonalds... :pac:

Quite literally lol'd at this...yes I have already been rejected by McDonalds not too long ago, or do you already know this :eek: :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

aine92 wrote: »
    Quite literally lol'd at this...yes I have already been rejected by McDonalds not too long ago, or do you already know this :eek: :pac:
    I think you need an Arts degree for that..

Advertisement