Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In which Doc attempts to escape a burning building

• 03-02-2012 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭

Well not exactly, much as I love you guys I'm not about to lock myself in a room and set the house on fire just to crash test a bit of kit, but I am going to do a review of the Lidl multitool axe-hammer thing as requested last week by Tabs, by seeing how quickly it will get me through one of these:

img0928sp.jpg

That's your standard or garden variety household door, used throughout the land in offices, apartments and houses everywhere. The back of it was damaged by a previous tenant, so may as well get some value out of it before it's dumped! If there was a fire and someone was locked in, its fairly equivalent to something they might need to get clear of.

So, here's the multitool itself:

img0912pi.jpg

I always buy two of everything when I can, suppliers love me, but it keeps redundant backups and spare parts always to hand, not to mention being able to outfit a second person if I need to.

These aren't branded, presumably made for the shop to order, but they are of Dutch construction, not Chinese, unlike a lot of cheap tools these days.

The first thing I noticed was the weight, its not a heavy item, maybe a third of a kilo, but its top heavy, so you get a nice heft when you swing it. The mass of the hammerhead behind the axe lets it punch above its weight, and vice-versa.

This causes a slight issue with the pouch mind you, since the belt loop is low down and the centre of gravity on the tool is high up, pulling the pouch away from the body somewhat, and generally I prefer utility items to stay snug to me, the less flap the better. There's a little pocket behind the belt loop which might explain that, as it opens when the pouch is affixed to the belt.

img0914nz.jpg

That's the open tool, the internal tools are:
    • Flat nosed pliers
    • Hammer
    • Pliers
    • Knife
    • Wood saw
    • Cross screwdriver
    • Chisel
    • Open ended spanner (6-10mm)
    • Unversal saw, handy for meat and bone
    • Slotted screwdriver
    • File
    • Bottle opener
    • Wire stripper
    • Side cutter pliers
    • Axe
    img0921tr.jpg

The build of the tool isn't exactly to aeuronautical standards, you can see here there's a slight chip in one hammerhead, and the axe grind was uneven on both. Easy to remedy with a few strokes of the sharpener mind you, these aren't really functional problems.

img0922xm.jpg

The clip to hold it closed will slip off if you look at it the wrong way, I think because there's some flashing inside the notch where it fits, again easy to remedy with a file and not really a functional issue.

img0923pb.jpg

You can see the top down view here, pretty well put together although I wouldn't stand on it laterally myself! This is not stainless steel, so you will need to keep it oiled to ensure a lifetime of use.

img0924qw.jpg

Knifewrench! Safe AND practical.

img0926il.jpg

I'm wearing gloves for protection here, and also eye protection - anyone thinking of crash testing equipment like this should of course take the neccessary precautions.

And so down to business! I gave myself 90 seconds, didn't count the strokes but I was fairly hockeying into it, and the result as you can see was quite satisfactory:

img0931o.jpg

I would say given four or five minutes I could have had the whole thing down easily enough. I'm sure you can imagine the effect on a car door or other obstacle.

img0934rm.jpg

This is how the axe looked afterwards:

img0937ls.jpg

The other tools were of the same quality, sharp out of the box and reliable enough for domestic work or light outdoor work. I wouldn't say it's that comfortable to use the axe for long periods, since the reverse side of the handle is all ridges due to the other tools, you'd need to cushion that somehow.

So in summary, for €6.99 its a hell of a tool. Does it pass the "bet your life on it" test? Probably not. But in addition to other tools this could certainly make an invaluable contribution to any BOB or camping kit. The range of applications in camping especially is limitless.

Would I recommend a purchase? Definetely yes, at that price point.

And a special treat for those Cold Steel fans in the audience, ever looked speculatively at a door and wondered what your shillelagh would do to it? Well wonder no more!

img0939fz.jpg

I took a few swings with the Cold Steel Irish Blackthorn just for the craic, not too shabby!

img0940sl.jpg

img0941ar.jpg

img0942j.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭colonel-yum-yum

Must be fun being your neighbour Doc! :P
    Nice show and tell. Out of interest, where did you get the Cold Steel Irish Blackthorn from?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Eh Beararm took over distribution in Europe a few years back, they can be found here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Ophiopogon

Good review, bought this with no real expectations but pleased with the quailty for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

Thanks. i got one too, now gracing my bob. Was tempted to try it out, but that will have to wait, now happy to see someone go to with it. i did off course give the box it came in a few whacks, that's de rigeur.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭bonniebede

BTW also got the sharpening tool from lidl. Does the axe need to be sharpened? how sharp should an axe be? i am tempted to try and get it as sharp as a knife, but feel this is probably wrong. Could you advise?

• Advertisement

bonniebede wrote: »
    BTW also got the sharpening tool from lidl. Does the axe need to be sharpened? how sharp should an axe be? i am tempted to try and get it as sharp as a knife, but feel this is probably wrong. Could you advise?
    Oh definetely get it to shaving sharp if you can, anything being used to cut should be as sharp as possible. I'll go over the two I have today with a file and sharpener to smooth them out, that was an out of the box demonstration there.

In hindsight actually I'd say I could have had the door open in 90 seconds or less if I had concentrated on the area around the handle, certainly if it was sharper.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Good review Doc! Well done and thanks for posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭baords dyslexic

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Oh definetely get it to shaving sharp if you can, anything being used to cut should be as sharp as possible. I'll go over the two I have today with a file and sharpener to smooth them out, that was an out of the box demonstration there.

In hindsight actually I'd say I could have had the door open in 90 seconds or less if I had concentrated on the area around the handle, certainly if it was sharper.

Next test sharpen it and have a hack at a log and see how well it keeps its edge? Its not a peice of steel I'd be trying to get a really good edge on as I doubt it will keep, but you can prove me wrong ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Good review Doc, I am pissed now that I couldn't get one of these as they look quite useful. Nothing but fire blankets left when I got there last saturday.

Aha, maybe I should auction off the backup multitool with all proceeds going towards that noble charity, "buy Doc a takedown recurve bow for more reviews in glorious technicolor, and find out exactly what arrows really do to car windscreens!"

• Advertisement

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Aha, maybe I should auction off the backup multitool with all proceeds going towards that noble charity, "buy Doc a takedown recurve bow for more reviews in glorious technicolor, and find out exactly what arrows really do to car windscreens!"

Next time Lidl have any multitools on offer send them a link to this thread and see if you can get one free to test and write up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Oh definetely get it to shaving sharp if you can, anything being used to cut should be as sharp as possible.
    I would agree, like this guys axe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

Feck it I didn't think it was possible to buy such a light door in Ireland, must have come in during the Tiger to save developers a bit of money. In the states a door like that costs $15-25 or there about. Wouldn't want to be depending on one to keep people out, but if you could pry one open in a more gentle manner you could hide a good stash of stuff in one

I would agree, like this guys axe!

Is that guys axe a cheap multi-tool?

eth0 wrote: »
    Feck it I didn't think it was possible to buy such a light door in Ireland, must have come in during the Tiger to save developers a bit of money. In the states a door like that costs $15-25 or there about. Wouldn't want to be depending on one to keep people out, but if you could pry one open in a more gentle manner you could hide a good stash of stuff in one
    They don't cost much more here tbh, but you'd have a hard time getting through one without some sort of a tool - it passed the solid kick test! :D You'd need to cut it in half along the side to make an invisible join, it appears to be moulded in one piece. Maybe a slot could be cut out on the side and pasted in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Is that guys axe a cheap multi-tool?

Looks like a Swedish Ganfors axe,which are exellent steel.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Looks like a Swedish Ganfors axe,which are exellent steel.

My point exactly :). The steel in a cheap multi-tool isn't up to working with a razor edge. If you can get that sort of edge on a multi-tool either it will bend off or get hammered back into the main body of "steel" behind it as soon as you use it. Better to have a far less acute bevel and sharpen with a file to leave lots of metal behind a filed edge that will hold together than start with a razor sharp multi-tool that will be totally blunt very quickly.

Its a wetterlings chopping axe, good review here, the guy didn't seem all that impressed.

To be honest the only thing you'll achieve by not getting the best edge possible on the multitool axehead is a prematurely blunt axe head. Yes if you tried to split logs all afternoon you'd get the same effect, but that's not really the purpose of this tool.

This to me seems more like a light camp wood processing axe, quite useful in a rescue situation when you've little else to hand, or at an archaeological dig for example. I'd bring this along camping or hiking in a heartbeat, and could probably find a few uses for it around the house too, along with the other tools in it.

In any case, no matter what axe you're using, I'd probably recommend a quick resharpening for every ten or fifteen minutes of continous use anyway. Sharper is better! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

The steel in a cheap multi-tool isn't up to working with a razor edge.
    In my experience, steel will take a razor edge.

How long it keeps that edge is a function of steel quality, heat treat, retained carbides, whether the steel has become Austenite, Bainite, Martensite or something else, alloying elements, edge geometry and usage.

That's why I love sharpening, and crosswords, always looking for a solution. ;)

These days there is a tendency among "my people" or knife knuts, to dismiss steels that are not the latest and best. M390 vs. M4 vs. Stellite may be found on the cover of knife magazines. In fairness the differences aren't game changing any more. Stone to Bronze, yep I'd switch in a heartbeat and sell my custom rock collection.

Bronze to Iron to low grade steel? Swappity swap swap!

AUS6 to AUS8 to 440C to 01 to D2?

They are all decent steels, dependent on heat treat great steels.

Even the worst pot metal steel is better than bronze age tools, we live in a great time for knives and stuff ;)

That said...Stanley Fubar for ripping **** down, dead on hammers for nailing stuff and a Hooligan bar (Halligan bar) for opening stuff up!

55-122.jpg

yhst-15879359145117_2196_19079788

halligan.jpg
    My own preference for stuff that seems to be tomahawk dominated in the US Forces would be a Stanley 20 oz. roofing hammer.

Stanley_20_oz._FatMax_Xtreme_AntiVibe_Rip_Claw_with_Smooth_Face_Hammeroo0Detail.jpg

Breaching, sentry takedowns, opening crates, making holes, digging pits etc. Yep, steel hammer does the job. :rolleyes: Even when I was a builder, a good hammer was 80% of the toolbox, Mr. Vice Grips making up a lot of the other 20%!

For wrecking a house, get builder tools. Wrecking/Crow bars are cheap and a favourite of Dr. Freeman!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

nice article Doc..

however, with that kind of door, one hard kick will burst it open and is much more efficient and much faster

• Advertisement

CamperMan wrote: »
    nice article Doc..

however, with that kind of door, one hard kick will burst it open and is much more efficient and much faster
    Eh no, in fact ten or eleven won't get it done either. I can tell you this for a fact since the drunken ex-con husband of the previous tenant was trying to kick it down before I landed him on the street, big lad too. Hence the reason for replacing it.

Funnily enough it was the wife that did the damage, I'm not sure what she used though. Something slightly above head height - ah she turned over the wardrobe on a corner!

Advertisement