Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a butcher please

• 03-02-2012 8:33pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Well, its time to stock up the freezer again, so I was wondering are any of the butchers doing any good deals. Not looking for anything fancy, just the basics, mince, chicken, stew steak, chops etc...
    I would like to support a local(rather than tesco/dunnes etc) butcher so am looking for someone who has good prices but also good quality stuff.
    Doesn't really matter location so long as the stuff is decent.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭daithieoghan

The guy near Russels in Fr. Russell Rd. can't think of the name but he is really good

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭NeirBot

The guy near Russels in Fr. Russell Rd. can't think of the name but he is really good

Garretts Butchers its called i think, heard good things of him too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

o' connell's butchers in the city centre, fantastic quality meat and great value too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

Morrissey's in the Parkway have those big tubs of 30 large chicken fillets for €34, bargain. They always have signs up for different things too, not sure what it is this week though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Bicycle

Craughans in St James' Court on the Ennis Road.

The meat is excellent quality, even my kids notice the difference to the Dunnes meat. And they often have special offers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Garret's is dear, and 3/4 of his counter is meats already marinated/spiced etc. Grand if you're in a hurry for a bit for the dinner, not for a complete freezer load.
    I, me, myself, personally :D prefer Morrisseys' in the Crescent. Decent meats, loads of variety. Chicken packs special offers etc. He even does the fancy marinated stuff if that's what your into. Prices are good too.

PS. No I don't work for them, but they're Irish and local. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Bicycle wrote: »
    Craughans in St James' Court on the Ennis Road.

The meat is excellent quality, even my kids notice the difference to the Dunnes meat. And they often have special offers.

Exactly, would echo this recommendation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

I know you're in Mary I and I often pick up a few bits in Jim Flavins butchers in Greenpark by Punches Cross on the way home!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Garretts FTW!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

I know you're in Mary I and I often pick up a few bits in Jim Flavins butchers in Greenpark by Punches Cross on the way home!

I never think of calling in there, I used to use the one in castletroy, is the new one any good??

I called into Wallace's today since I was in the crescent anyway and picked up large stuffed chicken, 1lb stew meat, 1lb beef mince & 8 burgers for 20euro, didn't think that was too bad.
    Must try Craughans next time I'm out that way
    Thanks everyone:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Garretts = best butcher in Limerick

But for the OP you need to go to Annacotty Farm Shop

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

h3000 wrote: »
    Garretts = best butcher in Limerick

+1

Every time I go there is a queue out the door but it's always worth the wait.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Will throw in another +1 for Garretts.

The meat is always high quality and unlike some butchers the quality of both meat and service does not depend on who is on the counter that day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Why would you buy meat already marinated?
    You cant judge a cut or a fillet properly im always suspicious of butchers whos product is over 50% covered by spice etc!
    It takes 2 minutes to marinate your own food!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Why would you buy meat already marinated?
    You cant judge a cut or a fillet properly im always suspicious of butchers whos product is over 50% covered by spice etc!
    It takes 2 minutes to marinate your own food!

You can buy meat in Garretts that has been marinated or meat that has not been marinated.

If a person does not see what they want on the counter (as in they can only see a marinated version) then all it takes is to ask whoever is working if they have that meat in it's non marinated form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

We use Garretts in Castletroy and would get about 90% of our meat there and cant fault them for quality or price.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭heresjohnnie

We've always gone with Wallaces in the Crescent (across from Tesco) - more tradition than anything else! Hmmm.. anyone here ever buy meat from a butcher online?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Garretts is good alright but i agree people seem to overate this place because of the nice displays of prepped meat

He should have all stuff on display really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

bigpink wrote: »
    Garretts is good alright but i agree people seem to overate this place because of the nice displays of prepped meat

It's not because of the display of the meat that I like the place. In my opinion the quality of the meat is better than anywhere else in Limerick. I normally get a selection of marinated and unmarinated meats. Anyway I think they do have a selection of marinated as well as unmarinated meats on display, in the Castletroy shop anyway.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

Its a good place no doubt.i guess he blends the best of being an old type butcher with a slick looking business,guess that makes it popular that people rave about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,339 ✭✭✭✭phog

Its a good place no doubt.i guess he blends the best of being an old type butcher with a slick looking business,guess that makes it popular that people rave about it

Why are you putting words in people's mouths? I dont go there for his displays, I go there for the quality and price of his meat.

Well the mother finds it a great butcher but a bit pricey

People should also try some old world style butchers aswell for deals,and get known there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

His meat is grand - whether you want the marinated or the just regular cuts.

But his PRICES - JC - they're through the roof! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

People should also try some old world style butchers aswell for deals,and get known there

That's a good point, they do tend to cut you a better deal when they know your face. I'm not a big fan of the pre-marinated as it is the oldest trick in the book to cover stale meat. Well apart from pork ribs as they are just yummy. Morrisseys is where I get my ones of those. I want them now but I they're closed :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭sioda

Have used and recommended Seamus Butler for years and wouldnt go anywhere else mainly just a regular butcher with the odd Maryland or Meatball .

Good advise on meat as well and very reasonable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭the_blackstuff

flavins in castletroy for me. Buy all my meat there with the exception of garrets the odd time. I find his meat top class. I've never had a bad piece of meat from there. His steak is to die for!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

My mother is very particular about her meat, must be of the highest quality. She swears by Garrett's on Father Russell Road.

Advertisement