Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is their any grants available for a start up website/soletrader?

Options
  • 03-02-2012 9:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi, i am wondering is their any grants available for a start up website/sole trader situation, anything small to cover stationary, some office equipment,advertising etc, if so, where would i try?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

I got a grant for the Enterprise Board for a new website last year, so contact your local one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭calerbass

Acoshla wrote: »
    I got a grand for the Enterprise Board for a new website last year, so contact your local one.

Thanks for that,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭JohnnieK

Are you eligible for the back to work enterprise allowance? I was given a grant of €1000 when I started up.

JohnnieK wrote: »
    Are you eligible for the back to work enterprise allowance? I was given a grant of €1000 when I started up.

Would nt qualify for that. I do casual work. Bout twenty five hours a week and that's hanging by a thread so I went down the road with my website idea etc. So I thought their surely be some help available. Did you have to produce a business plan and other hoops for it. I am registered with the cro and all above board etc

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Bmw320MK

JohnnieK wrote: »
    Hi I am currently in the process of the BTWEA with final meeting for approval on tuesday... How did you apply for this grant??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

The Enterprise Board gives grants towards start up costs.

Hi folks, i said id let ye know how i got on......got nothing from the enterprise:D Told me its only manufacturing etc that they give grants to, although when i made the appointment, i explained what i have, and thats an e-commerce website,and they said i would, anyway I'm ok about it, I'm not making an actual product as they put it. I had receipts for over a grand, but still no go, so their is no help available unless your making something,

Anyway, the overwhelming response to my idea is as good as a grant:D

Full steam ahead;)

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Blizzard

Try: http://www.secad.ie/index.php/site/

As far as I know, schemes like the one in the link above are available until 2013 to help small business start-ups. Funding is from the EU. I think the link I've posted here is for your area. If not, look at your local county's info on 'Leader Partnership' and search for info on development programmes and project funding. There is a lot of help/assistance available to those in 'rural' areas. This is not an easy process though as a lot of work and information has to be supplied before things are approved, and even then money is not just handed out, you must first be approved and follow the procedures they advise. It might be worth looking into. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Hi Calerbass

Enterprise boards offer mentoring grants, this is effectively consultancy to help you improve your business and can cover marketing & ecommerce.. They will have a list of mentors in your area, you'll need to get a proposal from the mentor and submit this with an application to the EB

I don't know anything about your area in particular but note you're in Cork.

See: http://www.sceb.ie/our-services/mentoring-supports

Chances are you will have to put a proportion of the money forward yourself, usually 300 to 500 out of 1500 or 2000.

You won't get any money back on what you've already spent but they can be flexible on how it is spent, so they may allow you to do some design/development alongside the mentoring.

This could be your best route towards getting a leg up from them, there is an application process, they don't give it to everyone and remember you must also invest your own time to meet the mentor. I recommend it though.

Ring them first to express interest, submit your application and then follow up.. Be keen

Leader partnerships offer grants for businesses or community organisations. Tend to focus on community oriented and tourism focused activities and generally rural. Try here: http://leaderpartnership.ie/ & contact a local one and find out what type of grants they offer.

Good luck

Edit: I'm also surprised that your local enterprise board only support manufacturing, I've known them to support service and retail also .. double check

GG66 wrote: »
    Hi Calerbass

Enterprise boards offer mentoring grants, this is effectively consultancy to help you improve your business and can cover marketing & ecommerce.. They will have a list of mentors in your area, you'll need to get a proposal from the mentor and submit this with an application to the EB

I don't know anything about your area in particular but note you're in Cork.

See: http://www.sceb.ie/our-services/mentoring-supports

Chances are you will have to put a proportion of the money forward yourself, usually 300 to 500 out of 1500 or 2000.

You won't get any money back on what you've already spent but they can be flexible on how it is spent, so they may allow you to do some design/development alongside the mentoring.

This could be your best route towards getting a leg up from them, there is an application process, they don't give it to everyone and remember you must also invest your own time to meet the mentor. I recommend it though.

Ring them first to express interest, submit your application and then follow up.. Be keen

Leader partnerships offer grants for businesses or community organisations. Tend to focus on community oriented and tourism focused activities and generally rural. Try here: http://leaderpartnership.ie/ & contact a local one and find out what type of grants they offer.

Good luck

Edit: I'm also surprised that your local enterprise board only support manufacturing, I've known them to support service and retail also .. double check

Hi, thanks for all the info.Im going to leave it though, im actually up and running now, and i was able to show the officer this from the enterprise board, i had all my receipts, over a grand spent,so far and rising. I have several emails from people involved in the business im in saying what a good idea it is and it has not been done before in Ireland,and the UK afaik. I really was only hoping for a few hundred to offset my costs, and i thought that what they were their for. The person i met just flitted through all my paperwork,receipts, looked at my business certificate and said, na, we dont reallly support this type of project, e-commerce, which i was surprised, it was all ifs and buts with them, but is nt business all ifs and buts anyway,so i was dissapointed and i honestly thought the person could,nt grasp what i was saying, but i dont mind really...........but they were no help what so ever to me.Another thing is, they dont give a grant retrospectively, so if your up and running and spent money, it wont matter to them etc,

• Advertisement
Advertisement