Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tight lines

Options
  • 03-02-2012 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭

Hi all, just wondering about the river blackwater in the mallow area, im hearing its next to impossible to get a licence to fish the river for salmon.
    Ive stopped the car just outside kanturk on the cross roads to kilarney and mallow, to have a look at the river just me and my girlfriend coming back from a sunday drive, with no gear what so ever, and got hunted off the river bank quiet aggressively, so if i do attempt to go fishing on this fantastic river i would like all the necessary licences and permission first.

Im tired of fishing the small rivers and only catching half pound trout and many under. so ive decided to try my hand at salmon fly fishing.
    The only thing is ive not got one idea on where to start, from fly rods to flies.
    If i could get some information on rods and which flies work the best during the different months of the season this would be great.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,166 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Hi all, just wondering about the river blackwater in the mallow area, im hearing its next to impossible to get a licence to fish the river for salmon.
    Ive stopped the car just outside kanturk on the cross roads to kilarney and mallow, to have a look at the river just me and my girlfriend coming back from a sunday drive, with no gear what so ever, and got hunted off the river bank quiet aggressively, so if i do attempt to go fishing on this fantastic river i would like all the necessary licences and permission first.

Im tired of fishing the small rivers and only catching half pound trout and many under. so ive decided to try my hand at salmon fly fishing.
    The only thing is ive not got one idea on where to start, from fly rods to flies.
    If i could get some information on rods and which flies work the best during the different months of the season this would be great.

Empathise hugely with you - I first fished the Blackwater in fermoy on 1982 & now owned by fermoy salmon & trout - they put fishing preserved signs up 3 years ago & when I last walked the bank was challenged even tho I was literally walking

I believe mallow is better - there's a tackle shop in town that supplies licences & should be ok

As ever try the tackle shop first - tight lines

Advertisement