Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk Half Marathon & 10k - 9th May 2012

Options
  • 03-02-2012 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭

Anyone else thinking of doing this? Seems to have got the thumbs up from the boardsies who ran it last year although it does seem unusual for a half marathon to be ran on a Wednesday evening. I'd imagine it would reduce the numbers who might participate if it was held at the weekend.

Website
    Last year's thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Yup this is my goal race for the first half of the year, ran it the last two years, great course, two laps for the half marathon so plenty of crowds. Was very windy last year which killed a lot of PB's, but it'a a very flat course and good for fast running if the conditions are right. I think the reason it's on a Wednesday evening is because they have to close the roads and can't get permission to do that at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

pconn062 wrote: »
    Yup this is my goal race for the first half of the year, ran it the last two years, great course, two laps for the half marathon so plenty of crowds. Was very windy last year which killed a lot of PB's, but it'a a very flat course and good for fast running if the conditions are right. I think the reason it's on a Wednesday evening is because they have to close the roads and can't get permission to do that at the weekend.

Personally, I think they run it on a Wednesday to keep the Dubs out !

Apart from the wind, it was a great race last year.
    Might be back this year, if I can organise it.

huskerdu wrote: »
    Personally, I think they run it on a Wednesday to keep the Dubs out !

It's as good a reason as any! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

The date falls nicely for my plans for the year too. Not familiar with the route but passing other runners on the Newry Road for a good chunk of the race could be a nice distraction :)

beeduybe wrote: »
    The date falls nicely for my plans for the year too. Not familiar with the route but passing other runners on the Newry Road for a good chunk of the race could be a nice distraction :)

The route starts in the town, then out the Newry road to the Ballymac roundabout, then back in by the river, you do that twice so plenty of time for checking out the other runners! :) It's actually great getting to see the leaders fly by on the other side of the road.

• Advertisement

The route starts in the town, then out the Newry road to the Ballymac roundabout, then back in by the river, you do that twice so plenty of time for checking out the other runners! :) It's actually great getting to see the leaders fly by on the other side of the road.

Last year the 10K was won by Freddy Kiprotich in 31.10 (I believe he was disappointed in his time, but the Limerick Marathon had taken a lot out of his legs).

It was a very impressive sight when he ran past us plodders.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭ThePiedPiper

I did this one last year. It was well organised and good value. I don't think the odd starting time had too much impact to be honest. There's massive support for the race from the clubs from the surrounding counties.

The course is an ok one. There's too many twists and turns at the start of it for my liking but once you're heading out of town, it's good and flat.

I won't make it this year unfortunately but would recommend it to anyone looking for a good value race with PB potential. I wonder what mad slogan will be on the T-shirt this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Did this last year as well and would recommend it from a course point of view. Couple of tough spots with the wind but mostly ok.

One thing to note though is having to pick up your number in Dundalk the weekend beforehand. From what I remember this was the only option which made it a bit akward.

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭beeduybe

pistol_75 wrote: »
    One thing to note though is having to pick up your number in Dundalk the weekend beforehand. From what I remember this was the only option which made it a bit akward.

Sounds like it would be awkward for a lot of people alright. Would make sense if they offered an alternative way of collecting your number when registering.

beeduybe wrote: »
    Sounds like it would be awkward for a lot of people alright. Would make sense if they offered an alternative way of collecting your number when registering.

Last year, you could pick up your number on race day, but only before 4pm or something like that, 2.5 hours before race start, which was a pain.

More evidence for my theory that they are discouraging Dubs.

Seriously, it is not good policy and I would suggest contacting the organisers about this. Maybe they need to hear plenty of complaints to convince them to make it easier this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 dingonerd

huskerdu wrote: »
    Last year, you could pick up your number on race day, but only before 4pm or something like that, 2.5 hours before race start, which was a pain.

More evidence for my theory that they are discouraging Dubs.

Seriously, it is not good policy and I would suggest contacting the organisers about this. Maybe they need to hear plenty of complaints to convince them to make it easier this year.

You can contact them on their facebook page

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Dundalk-Half-Marathon-10K/170919279597720

Just be aware prices go up after 29th Feb...

And also be aware that if, like me, you are old, there are no vet categories.

Just thought I'd give this a bit of a bump to remind people that prices go up after the 29th of this month so if you're thinking of entering put it in now and save yourself a few quid, I'm putting mine in tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I intend doing this race but the website seems to be pretty much last year's data...
    Anyone know if there was a change to having to pick up the number in advance of the race??

belcarra wrote: »
    I intend doing this race but the website seems to be pretty much last year's data...
    Anyone know if there was a change to having to pick up the number in advance of the race??

AFAIK there is also an option to pick up on the race day before a certain time Belcarra, I'm sure they will announcing all that info soon though. Check out their Facebook page for updates. If you get stuck let me know, I'll be picking mine up on the Sunday and can sort you out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

belcarra wrote: »

I was studying this on saturday and I think I saw it mentioned on a twitter post that it was pick up on sunday or else up to 4pm on race day. I think the HM starts at 6.30pm and the 10k at 6.45pm.

They did say you can get someone else to pick up your number.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 dingonerd

This has just appeared on their facebook page

PACK PICK- TOWN CENTRE MANAGERS OFFICE(directly across from Talk to me Mobile Phones)

AKA `Da Square`
    --

... Sunday 6th may- Monday 7th -Tuesday 8th

10am-3pm and

Wednesday(race day) 9am-2pm
    --
    Packs can be picked up by relatives and friends. Make sure you pick up before race day. It will leave it easier for you. Registration has been difficult with an evening start so we hope this will solve the issue.

DHM TEAM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

AFAIK there is also an option to pick up on the race day before a certain time Belcarra, I'm sure they will announcing all that info soon though. Check out their Facebook page for updates. If you get stuck let me know, I'll be picking mine up on the Sunday and can sort you out.

Hey Pconn that would be great if you could pick up my number.
    I'll PM you with the details!

Cheers man!

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Dundalk

The big day is tomorrow, good luck everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭theduke1

just picked up my race pack
    pink t-shirts?
    website says lots of goodies! no goodies in bag
    crap race pack

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭event

I don't know what is with the t shirts.
    last year illuminous yellow, this year pink. are they taking the piss? I really hope next year they just pick a normal colour

• Advertisement

event wrote: »
    I don't know what is with the t shirts.
    last year illuminous yellow, this year pink. are they taking the piss? I really hope next year they just pick a normal colour

they must be getting them for nothing

Ah lads, at least wait until the race is over before you start complaining! ;):D

Seriously I'm a man and have no problem with the t-shirt, in fact last years yellow one is still one of my favourites, perfect for late evening and night time running. And everyone knows pink is in! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭estariol

dingonerd wrote: »
    This has just appeared on their facebook page

PACK PICK- TOWN CENTRE MANAGERS OFFICE(directly across from Talk to me Mobile Phones)

AKA `Da Square`
    --

... Sunday 6th may- Monday 7th -Tuesday 8th

10am-3pm and

Wednesday(race day) 9am-2pm
    --
    Packs can be picked up by relatives and friends. Make sure you pick up before race day. It will leave it easier for you. Registration has been difficult with an evening start so we hope this will solve the issue.

DHM TEAM

I hope this is not the case, no way I can be there before 5pm on race day!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭event

Ah lads, at least wait until the race is over before you start complaining! ;):D

Seriously I'm a man and have no problem with the t-shirt, in fact last years yellow one is still one of my favourites, perfect for late evening and night time running. And everyone knows pink is in! ;)

ah im not complaining (well sorta am)

but im spending 25e to enter then getting an incredibly luminous tshirt again?

and last year there was other things in the pack, such as free pass to felda, voucher for eno, voucher to get medal engraved etc.

none of that this year

Agree that the pack is a bit stingy, I don't mind if races don't offer goodies but if you are going to offer a goodie bag as part of the package, there should be something in it. (Apart from free flyers that is!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

This will be my first half marathon. I've been ill off and on for the last couple of weeks so missed out my long runs, got as far as 11.5 miles before that so I'm hoping I'll be ok on the night :)

I was wondering what I should do re eating tomorrow - I have tended not to eat at all when I am doing a morning weekend long run but obviously with it being such a late run I can't imagine I should do that. Any tips on what/when to eat tomorrow?

Phibsboro wrote: »
    This will be my first half marathon. I've been ill off and on for the last couple of weeks so missed out my long runs, got as far as 11.5 miles before that so I'm hoping I'll be ok on the night :)

I was wondering what I should do re eating tomorrow - I have tended not to eat at all when I am doing a morning weekend long run but obviously with it being such a late run I can't imagine I should do that. Any tips on what/when to eat tomorrow?

well you wont eat anything out of the "goodie bag "anyhow
    make sure you eat a good dinner early tomorrrow and hydrate well

Phibsboro wrote: »

Yeah I agree with theduke, just have a good lunch around run one or so and then have something small to eat around half four or 5, race starts at half 6. So maybe just a banana or a granola bar with some water. Hydration is important as well but you don't want to drink too much or you'll be looking for the toilets all during the race! Don't eat or drink anything you have never eaten before, race day is not the day for experimentation. Good Luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Dundalk

Overall a good race but what was with the change in the course at the start of the half marathon? There was nothing on the website and a lot of people I spoke to where complaining about that. Also there was supposed to be 13 mile markers, I seen about 6 in total which was a bit off putting.

The course itself was good, plenty of water stations and the marshalls did a great job. Great medals as well and the support was amazing in town

• Advertisement

any sign of the results?

Advertisement