Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk Half Marathon & 10k - 9th May 2012

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

theduke1 wrote: »
    any sign of the results?
    www.chipit.ie should have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭sportfanatic

Done the 10km last night, felt it was well organised and did enjoy it to some degree.

The route was nice and flat, but i'm not sure if its the most scenic route that could be chosen.

A few of my mates done the Half Marathon and felt that having to go for the 2nd lap when you saw the 10km race finishing was a bit soul destroying. I think a 1 lap system would be better, either out around Ravensdale or taking in some of Blackrock (I know this would cause some logistical problems).

From the looking at the results it looks like the numbers are down? Not sure if it was the same last year with it clashing with the race in Drogheda last weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Had a disaster here :(

There was a *very* small half marathon field. My aim was to jog the race, given that I had never done the distance before. In the event the field took off a fair old clip and I felt I had no choice but to keep up with the last bunch, who were doing about 9' 30" a mile (about a minute quicker than I had planned to do it :) ). I am actually capable of keeping that pace for 10+ miles but the problem is that for some reason that pace plays havoc with my knees. Sure nuff by mile 5 both knees were playing up. By the time we came back into town I was the last of the half marathoners (from having stopped to try and stretch out my knees a few times) by a fair bit and wasn't up to the mortification of looping round Market Square on my own - so back to the car with me :(

As stated elsewhere, the marshaling and crowd support was excellent but with such a small field it probably isn't a race for the beginner. If they run it again next year (which I suspect they mightn't given the minimal effort put into the website and the "goodie" bag this year), it would be great if they started the 10K significantly later so that the joggers/walkers from the 10k would be out on the course for the half marathoners second loop (instead of the first loop as was the case with only a 15 min delay). I know that is probably the opposite of what a good runner would want but as a beginner I was looking for more bodies on the road for the second loop :)

Anyways, onwards and upwards, 2 weeks off I think then pick a half later in the summer to aim for...

BTW, thanks for the advice re food, that worked perfectly, no upset at all during the 10k i did do.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Had a disaster here :(

There was a *very* small half marathon field. My aim was to jog the race, given that I had never done the distance before. In the event the field took off a fair old clip and I felt I had no choice but to keep up with the last bunch, who were doing about 9' 30" a mile (about a minute quicker than I had planned to do it :) ). I am actually capable of keeping that pace for 10+ miles but the problem is that for some reason that pace plays havoc with my knees. Sure nuff by mile 5 both knees were playing up. By the time we came back into town I was the last of the half marathoners (from having stopped to try and stretch out my knees a few times) by a fair bit and wasn't up to the mortification of looping round Market Square on my own - so back to the car with me :(

As stated elsewhere, the marshaling and crowd support was excellent but with such a small field it probably isn't a race for the beginner. If they run it again next year (which I suspect they mightn't given the minimal effort put into the website and the "goodie" bag this year), it would be great if they started the 10K significantly later so that the joggers/walkers from the 10k would be out on the course for the half marathoners second loop (instead of the first loop as was the case with only a 15 min delay). I know that is probably the opposite of what a good runner would want but as a beginner I was looking for more bodies on the road for the second loop :)

Anyways, onwards and upwards, 2 weeks off I think then pick a half later in the summer to aim for...

BTW, thanks for the advice re food, that worked perfectly, no upset at all during the 10k i did do.

Don't worry about what people think of you, just run your own race and ignore all the distractions. Most people would be very supportive of your efforts, running a half marathon is no mean feat so just take your time and get round and next year you will be much further up in the field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 jogging woman

Did dundalk 10k wed evening great weather lovely course and lots of water if you needed it not like boyne 10k last sunday tough course and it was a warm day but they still ran out of water disgrace especially for fun runners like me who only do it to keep fit and im pretty slow as well ha ha:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

its a pity its so close to the boyne 10k, would've ran it otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

I see on Facebook that this Half Marathon is being discontinued and the 10km is being moved to the weekend instead of mid-week. Pity about the HM - it was a good race last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

New dates for this years 10k

http://dundalk10k.com/

Wednesday April 2nd starting from the DKIT Campus (although the route map is quite confusing)

Reg fees are also in dollars (?):

Individual Age group/open $20.00
    student Price $15.00
    early bird $18.00

Advertisement