Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Life's too short

Options
  • 03-02-2012 9:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

I noticed that I've been saying 'life's too short' quite a lot lately. Over the past week or two I have been un-subscribing from a few forums and un-following some threads on the subjects of my own interests and hobbies. I'm still here on O & O 'cos it's generally been friendly and has the ability to make me laugh out loud which is nice, especially when I'm feeling a bit low. But the internet just takes way too much of my time. I sit down at 7pm to check out my subscriptions on Irish, UK and US forums which I follow and suddenly its 11pm and time for sleepy-byes, but I don’t go sleepy-byes, I keep going. I originally made two New Year’s Resolutions on O & O:

1. Stop wasting time on the internet
    2. Make better use of my time on the internet

Now that I have un-subscribed and un-followed, maybe it will help. I wonder. Or am I possibly an internet addict. I hope not. But time will tell. I may need counselling while I am in recovery. Be gentle with me. Give me warm milk, a blankie and sing some lullabies please.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,568 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Well you wouldn't want me singing anything to you, but you have my sympathy. I have come to much the same conclusions and I am trying to do other stuff while allowing myself quick visits to see what is going on.

I agree life is too short etc, but if the alternative is gazing unseeing at the tv then really, is there any difference!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

No Looksee, sadly, not a lot. However, I have always been excellent at making 'to do' lists, and several presently languish all over my kitchen, in my bag, pockets, purse and several other places which I have long since forgotten about. I need to face the fact that until I am surgically removed from this screen nothing will ever get done. I am taking each day as it comes but I hope for a better life in the not too distant future. One which involves possibly standing up, and walking, maybe, and gosh, even fresh air, if that is attainable. One tiny step at a time is all it takes, the people in the white coats have told me. And I believe them. I truly, truly, do. Oh, is that a butterfly that just passed by, how pretty. (Sigh). Goodnight all. Chat again tomorrow.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

In defence of the entire world wide web, I think there is a difference between sitting at a screen researching, learning, helping others, engaging in dialogue, and sitting passively in front of the TV.

After all, it is Winter, and the days while stretching a little, are still short (just like life).

Don't beat yourselves up about it until the days lengthen and the weather improves.

slowburner wrote: »
    Don't beat yourselves up about it until the days lengthen and the weather improves.

Does that mean there will be tumbleweeds here during the summer months? Huh? Huh? Huh?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    1. Stop wasting time on the internet.

I don't consider it a waste of time if it is something you enjoy.
    Who gets to decide what is and isn't a waste of time?
    It's your time, what you do with it is up to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Jellybaby1..we love you...don't go...you'll upset the doctor.:eek:

f3880bc36am-more.jpg.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Does that mean there will be tumbleweeds here during the summer months? Huh? Huh? Huh?
    :D Nah.
    Well maybe, if we get a better summer than the past three.
    If there are tumbleweeds - what harm.

I was just going to recommend Boards to a recently widowed woman.
    She is intelligent, enquiring and literate, but showing signs of withdrawal.
    I worry that she could withdraw in such a way as would allow her gifts to atrophy.
    Should I not recommend this, do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

slowburner wrote: »
    :D Nah.
    Well maybe, if we get a better summer than the past three.
    If there are tumbleweeds - what harm.

I was just going to recommend Boards to a recently widowed woman.
    She is intelligent, enquiring and literate, but showing signs of withdrawal.
    I worry that she could withdraw in such a way as would allow her gifts to atrophy.
    Should I not recommend this, do you think?

I think O & O would be a very good place to start if she did join...in addition if she had a hobby or interest, then getting involved in that forum -whatever it is- would also be good...:)

Cicero wrote: »
    I think O & O would be a very good place to start if she did join...in addition if she had a hobby or interest, then getting involved in that forum -whatever it is- would also be good...:)
    I agree, and thanks for that.

Jellybaby1..we love you...don't go...you'll upset the doctor.:eek:

f3880bc36am-more.jpg.jpg

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D Hilarious! Thanks for that!

Ditto to that an' all!! Best place t'be! Although I also suggest the lady joins clubs, attends evening classes, etc., etc. I do something different regularly and make new friends along the way, unlike a lot of my long-term friends who always seem to be in the same crowd which I think is stagnating.

• Advertisement
Advertisement