Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where is Kilonan

• 03-02-2012 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭

My son is playing an U10 soccer match tomorrow in some place called Kilonan. I have no idea where it is. I googled it and the only hit I could find was somewhere in annacotty but I dont know if this is correct - does anybody here have any idea where the soccer pitch is in this place and where Kilonan is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭overthebridge

This is where Aisling Annacotty play out of http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=5284024
    My small fella played a few U10 games there last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's called Killonan. Head out the Tipperary Road (N24) straight through the Ballysimon Interchange with the motorway. Past the interchange, the road gets narrower, on your right there is an ESB substation, keep going past that for about 1/2 of a mile and there is a turn to your left, sign posted for Killonan. It's a narrow twisty road with scathered houses on both sides and a railway crossing, the road can bring you back into Annacotty too. No idea where the pitch would be though.

Here is the map:

http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&safe=off&q=killonan,+limerick&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&biw=1920&bih=881&wrapid=tlif132830246491710&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x485b59332973125f:0x1800c7a937e15be0,Killonan,+Co.+Limerick&gl=ie&ei=rEksT5inHNGAhQeu-uzUCg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CB0Q8gEwAA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Best of luck with it, some scouts from Old Trafford due tomorrow according to a mate who works in the Radisson and got chatting to some guests earlier ;)

2eqf7mq.png

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

If it's the pitch I'm thinking of, it's the old Aisling Annacotty pitch beyond Monaleen. You'd miss it if you didn't know it was there. No dressing rooms, and "car parking" is basically in the grass at the side of the pitch.

bazz26 has good directions there. Just keep an eye out for goalposts in a field on the right-hand side of the road as you're driving (coming from the Monaleen side).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭banjobongo

thanks guys, I found it, just down the road form the shop Monaleen Stores, it really is just a field with some goalposts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

Behind the Ballysimon ( B& Q ) retail park is the old Tipperary Rd. Going up left you will pass PJ Matthews Heating and plumbing, O'Sheas pub ( a thatched yellow old pub.) Next is Morrissons pub.

Start out from Morrissons pub on the old Tipperary Rd.
    Take the road at the left of Morrissons pub
    It is a very windy twisty road.
    You will come to a big crossroads.
    There's an Amber garage on the crossroads
    Kilonan pitch is signposted as the right turn.
    Go down the road a bit and turn into a field.

Alternatively, Monaleen Road

On the Castletroy main road there is a turn for the Monaleen Rd. Go all the way down to the end of the Monaleen Rd.
    You will arrive at that same crossroads mentioned above . The road straight ahead leads to Kilonan pitch.

Hope this helps someone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

juneg wrote: »
    Behind the Ballysimon ( B& Q ) retail park is the old Tipperary Rd. Going up left you will pass PJ Matthews Heating and plumbing, O'Sheas pub ( a thatched yellow old pub.) Next is Morrissons pub.

On the Castletroy main road there is a turn for the Monaleen Rd. Go all the way down to the end of the Monaleen Rd.
    You will arrive at that same crossroads mentioned above . The road straight ahead leads to Kilonan pitch.

Hope this helps someone.

Where did you dig this thread up from, that u10 young fella will be shaving by now:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

I'd be more interested in how

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,278 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

juneg wrote: »

Hope this helps someone.

Lets hope he found it a lot sooner than you found this thread. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭juneg

lol, obviously I was looking for directions to the mythical Kilonan myself for a match!!! and where else would I try but boards

In fact I think there is an opening here on the Limerick forum for no nonsense directions to all these local soccer pitches tucked away in the back arse end of nowhere so those of us with under 10s can get to matches!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement