Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Broadband versus UPC

• 03-02-2012 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm thinking of changing over from Eircom's 8Mb. land-line broadband to UPC's 25Mb. fibre-power broadband. The new Wi-Fi modem would have to be positioned well away from my PC. (about 15Mts. including thro' outside house walls.) The question is, will the signal and/or the broadband speed be effected? If so can the PC. be hardwired, i e, is there a cable length restriction? Would the increase in broadband speed be worth the hassle of the change-over. Any advice, please, for a newbie!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

Trover wrote: »
    I'm thinking of changing over from Eircom's 8Mb. land-line broadband to UPC's 25Mb. fibre-power broadband. The new Wi-Fi modem would have to be positioned well away from my PC. (about 15Mts. including thro' outside house walls.) The question is, will the signal and/or the broadband speed be effected? If so can the PC. be hardwired, i e, is there a cable length restriction? Would the increase in broadband speed be worth the hassle of the change-over. Any advice, please, for a newbie!
    UPC broadband quite good better than eircom price and speed wise.I got them to run a cable into my room they only charge me 10 euro to do it.The wireless decent but can be affect by some out side source but you can change wireless channels overall upc quite good doh at times there might be problem here and there but notting big hope this help.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 zaxa

I switched a few months ago and am very happy. I am getting much faster speeds with phone for less than Eircom :eek:. The limit for a CAT 5 cable run is 100M if you want a cable run from the modem. The easiest thing to do is use a pair of power line converters once the power lines in the other building are on the same circuit as where the modem will be. The wireless should be good enough though. It be worth trying first before messing with cables.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Trover

zaxa wrote: »
    I switched a few months ago and am very happy. I am getting much faster speeds with phone for less than Eircom :eek:. The limit for a CAT 5 cable run is 100M if you want a cable run from the modem. The easiest thing to do is use a pair of power line converters once the power lines in the other building are on the same circuit as where the modem will be. The wireless should be good enough though. It be worth trying first before messing with cables.:D
    Thanks for the info. I'll try the wireless first, as suggested, and see what the reception is like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Trover

rob808 wrote: »
    UPC broadband quite good better than eircom price and speed wise.I got them to run a cable into my room they only charge me 10 euro to do it.The wireless decent but can be affect by some out side source but you can change wireless channels overall upc quite good doh at times there might be problem here and there but notting big hope this help.
    Thanks for the info. I'm going to give the wireless modem a try-out before running in more cables, thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

If i had the choice i would get rid of Eircom in the morning and believe you me thousands and thousands of people like me probably would do the same. I do not have that choice so i am stuck with this service until gods knows when, cry!!!

Eircom, have been overcharging me for years. Their DSL service is way too expensive., 40 Euros a month with added on tax for 7 meg download and 312 kb upload package/ i find it scandalous i can't go to another provider and get a better deal and faster speed for the same money.

. If i had choice i could get 50 meg and 5 upload with UPC for 45 Euro, but see i am discriminated against because i live in a rural area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

KIERAN1 wrote: »
    If i had the choice i would get rid of Eircom in the morning and believe you me thousands and thousands of people like me probably would do the same. I do not have that choice so i am stuck with this service until gods knows when, cry!!!

Eircom, have been overcharging me for years. Their DSL service is way too expensive., 40 Euros a month with added on tax for 7 meg download and 312 kb upload package/ i find it scandalous i can't go to another provider and get a better deal and faster speed for the same money.

. If i had choice i could get 50 meg and 5 upload with UPC for 45 Euro, but see i am discriminated against because i live in a rural area.

your not being discriminated for living in a rural area but fibre costs ALOT to install and running a fibre line out to your house off out in the back arse of nowhere is simply not cost effective. This is the price you pay for choosing to not live in a town or city. deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

your not being discriminated for living in a rural area but fibre costs ALOT to install and running a fibre line out to your house off out in the back arse of nowhere is simply not cost effective. This is the price you pay for choosing to not live in a town or city. deal with it.

I'm aware Fibre is expensive, but surely there is other ways to reduce the expense?

I live fairly close to the city mate i estimate around 9 miles out., so i am not exactly in the back arse of nowhere as you put it. So your solution is we all should live in city just to avail of better broadband!! Get real mate.

Obviously some villages and towns are far out, and theres no possible way to bring fibre to their homes. But surely towns and villages relatively close to cities can get better broadband somehow.

Why don't the ESB and Broadband Companies team up and share the cost. Surely Fibre could be run along ESB lines?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

As far as eircom vs upc is concerned there is no comparison really. The UPC fibre will show you that having eircom is a giant waste of money.

As for the wireless routers the one they supply is ok but I have never tested it over that distance, signal strength will reduce speed unfortunatley. Why not just go out and buy a long ass ethernet cable to run from the router to the comp (or to a wireless box in closer proximity) this will maintain the speed without any loss.

Last time I had UPC I had a 35ft cable I used to connect an xbox and pc and the dl speeds were the same as if I sat beside the wireless in the living room.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭talkingpj

Towns like Ennis don't even have UPC fibre optic Internet. There is no way eircom should be charging what they do for crappy broadband. It's a total and utter rip off. Esb are not allowed enter the market as fear of a monopoly. The reason why the infrastructure is no improved is because they won't gain anything financially as they can charge what they want for poor service due to lack of competition. Welcome to rip off republic.

Advertisement