Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed - Renting Dangerous Property

Options
  • 03-02-2012 10:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

I Hope This Is The Correct Forum.

I Have Rented A Property Recently And Moved Into The House That Jack Built. Plumbing Is A Disaster And Insulation Extinct.

Now I Can Live With The Cold And The Plumbing That Appears To Do Its Own Thing And I mean Its Own Thing . The Toilet Flushes By Itself And When I Flush It. It Does Not Work And Thats One Of The Minor Pluming Issues.

The Electrics Scare The Sh1t Out Of Me. The Sockets Spark And Fuses Constantly Blow On The Main Electric Board.
    Earlier On . I Plugged The Radio In To The Socket In The Kitchen And The Light Bulb Blew As well As Another Fuse On The Electric Board.

Can Anyone Advice If I Should Move Out .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 suffering

Sorry I will Rephrase My Question.

Would I Be Within My Rights To Move Out And Get My Deposit Back.

Or Is There Procedures To Follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Inform the landlord of these issues in writing and keep a copy. Request a reply in writing. If the landlord is not forthcoming with repairs in a timely manner (ie two weeks at the very latest, allowing for delivery of parts etc) then you are well within your rights to move out and expect your full deposit back.

Ill be honest, if its a bad as you say it is, especially with the electrics, then you may be able to speed the process up and move out within the week if you feel that there is a genuine danger to your safety.

Getting everything in writing is essential though.

Thanks For The Advice.

The Landlord Is A Really Nice Farmer Man. But Set In His Ways.

I Mentioned To Him About The Electrics And His Response Was. Sure Theres A Bag Of Fuses And Said He will Send His Son To Have A Look.

His Son Is The Man That Fixs Things.He says Hes A Plumber. But If Hes The One That Plumbed The Place. I Dont Think Ill Have Much Luck With Him Fixing The Electrics.

If I Just Sent Him A Letter And Stated I Will Be Moving Out Next Week. If Things Are Not Fixed.Would That be Suffice.

Sorry.If I Sent Him A Registered Letter With The Substantial List Of Problems And Stated I Will Be Moving Out In Two Weeks Time. If Things Are Not Fixed.Would That be Suffice.

If Repairs Are Not Done In 2 Weeks. Will I Need A Third Party To Confirm The Problems Was Not Fixed in Order To Get My Deposit Back.Who Can I Use As A Third Party.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭odds_on

suffering wrote: »
    Thanks For The Advice.

The Landlord Is A Really Nice Farmer Man. But Set In His Ways.

I Mentioned To Him About The Electrics And His Response Was. Sure Theres A Bag Of Fuses And Said He will Send His Son To Have A Look.

His Son Is The Man That Fixs Things.He says Hes A Plumber. But If Hes The One That Plumbed The Place. I Dont Think Ill Have Much Luck With Him Fixing The Electrics.

If I Just Sent Him A Letter And Stated I Will Be Moving Out Next Week. If Things Are Not Fixed.Would That be Suffice.
    There is a legal procedure to follow which djimi has set out in his post above. The law requires you to give the landlord the opportunity to remedy the defects within "a reasonable time". Under normal circumstances 14 days would be considered a reasonable time. Failure to follow this procedure may result in the loss of your deposit.
    If the landlord fails to remedy the defects then you can issue a written Notice of Termination (required by law) giving 28 days notice. A sample copy of the Notice is available on the PRTB website.

How come you did not see anything wrong when you viewed the property?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Have you told your landlord? In writing?

Write to him, preferably by registered post, telling him that the property is unsafe (give details) and that you will consider the lease void unless he rectifies matters within (say) 7 days. When you are reasonably happy the letter has been delivered, copy it be e-mail / text message.

You might talk to Threshold, the PRTB and the private rented property inspectors in your local council housing department.

odds_on wrote: »
    There is a legal procedure to follow which djimi has set out in his post above. The law requires you to give the landlord the opportunity to remedy the defects within "a reasonable time". Under normal circumstances 14 days would be considered a reasonable time. Failure to follow this procedure may result in the loss of your deposit.
    If the landlord fails to remedy the defects then you can issue a written Notice of Termination (required by law) giving 28 days notice. A sample copy of the Notice is available on the PRTB website.

How come you did not see anything wrong when you viewed the property?

Ok Got That.Thanks For The Advice.

Most Of The Problems Only Start Came To Light . After I Moved In..

I Did Not Go Around The House Testing All The Pluming And Electrics During The Viewing.

But I Will Do Next Time.

There Are Better Properties Designed Internally In The Slums Of Calcutta. Than This Place I Have.

Victor wrote: »
    Have you told your landlord? In writing?

Write to him, preferably by registered post, telling him that the property is unsafe (give details) and that you will consider the lease void unless he rectifies matters within (say) 7 days. When you are reasonably happy the letter has been delivered, copy it be e-mail / text message.

You might talk to Threshold, the PRTB and the private rented property inspectors in your local council housing department.

Thanks Ill Call Threshold Tomorrow Or Monday. Do I Have To Be Registered With Them.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh, you might find that your landlord is as bad as the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,519 ✭✭✭✭ted1

When it comes to.electrics as a landlord he must use a suitable capable person. I.e an electrician this is a legal condition.

• Advertisement

Thanks To All For The Advice.

Due To The Fact I Could Not Get Any Of The Kitchen Appliances Working This Morning And To Give Peace Of Mind Its Not Me Creating These Problems . I Called An Emergency Electrican. €180 For His Service.

He Put That Power Back On For Certain Items. But Said It Could Go Again.:eek:He Would Not Turn Back On Power For Some Of The Downstairs Sockets. He Said The Place Needs To Be Rewired And Gave Me This In Written.

Ill Let You Know What Threshold Says On Monday.

Advertisement