Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dentistry in ucc

• 03-02-2012 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

hi! currently i'm doing my leaving cert and i thinking of what i want to do next year as every one else! :P i'm very intrigued by the thought of studying dentistry. But i have some questions about the life in dentistry school. Do you have a life outside the course and do you have time to go out at night or to do sports and make friends .Is it extremely hard but doable? like if I'm good to keep up with my work and stay on top will i be ok? any help would be appreciated! :):D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Hey! I'm in first dent at the moment! So eh... Right... Here's a pile of stuff about it...

Okay so dentistry is a 5 year course, after which you're fully qualified and can open your own practice. The first couple years are mostly lecture-based, and clinical interaction with patients starts from third year. There are 48 people in my year, and every one of 'em is really fantastic! There are a lot of international students and a handful of mature students too. Em.. There's a good few people who repeated for the points, and a lot of people who tried to get into medicine but didn't quite make it.

The course begins quite slowly. We had about 13 hours a week up to Christmas, while most courses seem to have over 20. The second semester is a lot more busy, though. There's no shortage of stuff to study, but if you can get into the course you'll definitely manage in the course! Yes, you do have a life outside of the course! :P I mean, maybe time management becomes kind of important, but if you have training two nights a week and you want to go clubbing some night, you should be able to fit those in with relative ease! That said, I haven't passed my exams yet so I'm not making any promises ;)

We have 5 modules. Physiology: So far in phys we've covered things like how nerves conduct impulses and how muscles contract, as well as the cardiac cycle and respiration. It's pretty interesting, but fairly general, as with a lot of the course for the first couple of years.

The next module I'd mention would be the Fundamentals of Dental Practice. It's pretty broad, focusing on topics such as dental materials (what materials should be used for fillings, crowns, dentures, etc.?), Behavioural Science, Ethics and Law (lecturer is hilarious pacman.gif) and Public Healthcare. 20 out of 60 credits go for this so it's important, but it's not too difficult at all. In the first semester, however, we did have to make our way towards the dental hospital in Cork University Hospital which can be a long, painful walk in the rain! :p

There's a 5-credit module on structural anatomy which isn't very difficult. It deals with what bones are made of, what muscle structure is, how joints work, etc. Nothing too difficult but there's a bit to learn.

Biochemistry is considered pretty tough in general, but if you sit down and study it you can get through it okay! If you have a good grounding in LC Chemistry you'll be okay.

Finally my personal favourite module is Topographical anatomy. This deals with what's there - the bones of the skull, the muscles involved in facial expression, the cranial nerves, etc. Nothing too difficult in this module, but no shortage of material to learn either! We do dissections throughout the year which is really, really interesting!

Dentistry wasn't my first choice for the CAO (hoped for med) but as soon as I got to know the people in the course and became accustomed to the course I felt really comfortable and glad to be there. Like almost everyone else, I'm certain that I'd be very happy to finish this degree.

If there's anything else you're wondering don't hesitate to ask! :p

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Thanks JamJamJamJam, thats a great overview of the course

• Registered Users Posts: 3 penguin_p

Hi, if u don't mind me asking- how many points did u need for dentistry?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Ally7

Sorry to bump this thread but I didn't know where else to ask- do second year dental students really have to pay €4,000 for the use of the hospital and equipment? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

Ally7 wrote: »
    Sorry to bump this thread but I didn't know where else to ask- do second year dental students really have to pay €4,000 for the use of the hospital and equipment? :eek:

:eek: I'd heard that this was being changed, but according to the calendar it's still in place, for this year anyway: http://www.ucc.ie/calendar/medicine/med004.html (see the 'Note' at the end of the Second Year section)

They keep that nice and quiet, don't they?

Maybe get in contact with the dental school to be 100% clear.

• Advertisement
Advertisement