Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fishing on the moy

Options
  • 03-02-2012 10:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Im thiking of buying a boat so i can fish the moy instead of walking up and down the bank which im starting to dislike. The reason of this thread is that is it ok to bring along my boat and go up and down the stretch that ill be fishing because in all my years fishing it, i havent seen anyone fishing from a boat.

I have just bought a house just outside foxford and i want to know how much all the stretchs are to get a season permit. If it snot to much ill join a few of them so im not stuck to one stretch instead of paying them outrageous day tickets.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

I fish the Moy an awful lot and have a couple of responses to some of your questions;

Season ticket prices; There are close on 20 fisheries operating on the Moy and season tickets vary in both availability and price on all of them. They start from €60 per annum ranging to €400 per annum.

A lot of the fisheries only allow 'regulars' purchase a season ticket, as in you have to earn your stripes and put the hours in by becoming known to the owners and work your way up from day tickets to season tickets.

Currently, I have season tickets for 4 different fisheries on the Moy, those being East Mayo, Gannons, Paddens/KNockmore and Ballina Anglers. Each of these have their merits at particular times of the year and differing water heights.

I cannot realistically see any fishery owner permitting anyone to fish from a boat on their water.
    Initially, the boat will be obtrusive to other anglers, it will mean that it will be blocking access to a whole pool, both for anglers on their fishery and for anglers on the fishery on the opposite bank.
    Secondly, a boat will disturb and unsettle fish from their lies both in the area being fished and in any other area being traversed by the craft,
    Thirdly, what benefit will the boat add? There are no areas that can be fished from a boat that cannot be reached by any capable angler fron the bank.
    Some fisheries use a boat for transporting elder, unfirm or disabled people along the bank but not as a fishing platform.

As to your comment regarding 'excessive' prices of day tickets....
    Most fisheries average out at around €30 per day for a ticket, in my opinion that is a fair price for a days sport.
    The initial purchase/lease of fishing rights, upkeep of a fishery and insurances are not cheap. All of these overheads have to be met and the current pricing structure is geared to cover all of these costs.
    You get nothing in this world for nothing.....

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

keyser2012 wrote: »
    .....so im not stuck to one stretch instead of paying them outrageous day tickets.

keyser2012:
    What would you consider to be a reasonable amount to pay to fish for a day on the most prolific salmon water in Ireland?
    I'm curious. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭keyser2012

coolwings wrote: »
    keyser2012:
    What would you consider to be a reasonable amount to pay to fish for a day on the most prolific salmon water in Ireland?
    I'm curious. :)

Well i think it should be at least half that. Nearly everyone i chat to says they just cant afford to go out for a days fishing on the moy. When you take in everything for a days fishing ,petrol to and from the river, food, license, bait etc you are talking about a few euro just for a days fishing.

I fish the Moy an awful lot and have a couple of responses to some of your questions;

Season ticket prices; There are close on 20 fisheries operating on the Moy and season tickets vary in both availability and price on all of them. They start from €60 per annum ranging to €400 per annum.

A lot of the fisheries only allow 'regulars' purchase a season ticket, as in you have to earn your stripes and put the hours in by becoming known to the owners and work your way up from day tickets to season tickets.

Currently, I have season tickets for 4 different fisheries on the Moy, those being East Mayo, Gannons, Paddens/KNockmore and Ballina Anglers. Each of these have their merits at particular times of the year and differing water heights.

I cannot realistically see any fishery owner permitting anyone to fish from a boat on their water.
    Initially, the boat will be obtrusive to other anglers, it will mean that it will be blocking access to a whole pool, both for anglers on their fishery and for anglers on the fishery on the opposite bank.
    Secondly, a boat will disturb and unsettle fish from their lies both in the area being fished and in any other area being traversed by the craft,
    Thirdly, what benefit will the boat add? There are no areas that can be fished from a boat that cannot be reached by any capable angler fron the bank.
    Some fisheries use a boat for transporting elder, unfirm or disabled people along the bank but not as a fishing platform.

As to your comment regarding 'excessive' prices of day tickets....
    Most fisheries average out at around €30 per day for a ticket, in my opinion that is a fair price for a days sport.
    The initial purchase/lease of fishing rights, upkeep of a fishery and insurances are not cheap. All of these overheads have to be met and the current pricing structure is geared to cover all of these costs.
    You get nothing in this world for nothing.....

The bit ive have in green, thats just another way of getting money of the working man. Who is it comes up with these rules:mad:. If you live near the river then you should be aloud to join up instaed of just paying those ridulous day permits.

As for fishing of a boat, im not getting any younger and i was in a bad car accident a few years ago i was left with a bad back. Even thou im not disabled, i dont have an easy time of it getting up and down the river banks. Ive fished in the uk from a boat and i can get back and forth to places where i want to fish. Im sitting here wondering can anyone tell me to get off the river if im using a boat to get up and down the river. I know that clubs etc own the fishing rights but i couldnt see them being aloud to tell me to not use my boat on the water.

As for getting in the way of people fishing, i would stay well out of their
    way while getting up and down teh river. Just as i type this, i do remember a few people going past me on a few canoes about 4 years ago on the moy and they werent fishing so i guess its prob ok to use boats on teh water without the fishing clubs having any say in you being there.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Chopperdog 2

Excellent value for Foxford locals for €100; you will get a season ticket for Foxford Salmon Anglers and Rinnanney fishery.

If you are living in Foxford contact Harry Feeney on Pontoon Road, he looks after tickets for the club, or Brian in Rinnanney.

Works out at about 4 miles of bank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Currently, I have season tickets for 4 different fisheries on the Moy, those being East Mayo, Gannons, Paddens/KNockmore and Ballina Anglers.

Wow:eek:
    Not sure of all the prices but that must run to €600 - €800 per year.
    Obviously you get to fish it most weeks to get the value out of it.

Excellent value for Foxford locals for €100; you will get a season ticket for Foxford Salmon Anglers and Rinnanney fishery.

If you are living in Foxford contact Harry Feeney on Pontoon Road, he looks after tickets for the club, or Brian in Rinnanney.

Works out at about 4 miles of bank.

100euro sounds a reasonable price to fish somewhere for the year. If its also 100euro for clongee and east mayo, id be happy with joining all 3. Do you know do i have to buy a few day tickets 1st in the foxford club

Octopus wrote: »
    Wow:eek:
    Not sure of all the prices but that must run to €600 - €800 per year.
    Obviously you get to fish it most weeks to get the value out of it.

If you where local and had a few euro about you then paying this for a years fishing on 3 stretchs is ok, just a pity im skint and have to scrap abit of money together so i can get out of the house to keep me sian,lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

keyser2012 wrote: »
    Well i think it should be at least half that. Nearly everyone i chat to says they just cant afford to go out for a days fishing on the moy. When you take in everything for a days fishing ,petrol to and from the river, food, license, bait etc you are talking about a few euro just for a days fishing.

Sure you'll pay 20-30 euro for a day at the Rainbows, 30 euros for a day at the Salmon is pittance. Ever look at the price of a day fishing for salmon in scotland? You can put another zero onto that figure. If you want cheap boat fishing in the area there just go out on lough Conn

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

+ 1 to the above post.

If you want cheap fishing the loughs are there, and there is car access to the launching places for boats.
    If you are salmon crazy and don't like trout, well there are salmon in Conn.

You only have to modify your expectations to fit your pocket and physique, and everything you need is already available at your location!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Park Royal

Some private fisheries use boats for their guests....

But Associations dont use boats to the best of my knowledge...

Personally I would always be worried by a flying brick ,

its amazing how when one is confined in a boat ,

somebody thinks its good fun to throw a huge brick.;)

Advertisement