Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New runner

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭jfh

another name from the farming forum :D
    you still hurling or you just concentrating on the running, it's hard IMO to do both & stay injury free.
    the mileage looks good & if you can consistently put in 40 miles every week, it's a great start to the marathon training.
    you could up it to 50 for 15 weeks?

you prob have the speed , so it's just a case of building up endurance & losing a bit of weight & you'll be in a good place,

it's your first marathon right?
    i wouldn't bother setting myself a target, just enjoy the first one without the pressure of time.

it's good to follow a plan & log details, keeps you honest.

best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

jfh wrote: »
    another name from the farming forum :D
    you still hurling or you just concentrating on the running, it's hard IMO to do both & stay injury free.
    the mileage looks good & if you can consistently put in 40 miles every week, it's a great start to the marathon training.
    you could up it to 50 for 15 weeks?

you prob have the speed , so it's just a case of building up endurance & losing a bit of weight & you'll be in a good place,

it's your first marathon right?
    i wouldn't bother setting myself a target, just enjoy the first one without the pressure of time.

it's good to follow a plan & log details, keeps you honest.

best of luck

Howya jfh. Tbh I am betwixt and between as to whether to give the hurling another year. I find the rigidity of training at set times hard between work, family and farm commitments and really enjoy the freedom of being able to train on my own schedule. Having said that, I am targetting the Kildare marathon because it is in April and gives me time to get back into the hurling if I feel the want.

Thanks for the advice but at 13 stone at 6'2" I thought that the weight was well down. There ya go, shows what I know about running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭jfh

Howya jfh. Tbh I am betwixt and between as to whether to give the hurling another year. I find the rigidity of training at set times hard between work, family and farm commitments and really enjoy the freedom of being able to train on my own schedule. Having said that, I am targetting the Kildare marathon because it is in April and gives me time to get back into the hurling if I feel the want.

Thanks for the advice but at 13 stone at 6'2" I thought that the weight was well down. There ya go, shows what I know about running.

sorry juniorhurler , may have been a bit harsh re the weight & this is just my opinion & i'm by no means an expert, i'm about the same height as you but was less than 70kg, TBH good for nothing else bar running:D
    i'd get killed on a hurling pitch, but attribute the reason i seem to be better at running longer than shorter distances down to the weight & strength ratio.
    few lads around me were playing junior B & took up running. really has stood to them.

jfh wrote: »
    sorry juniorhurler , may have been a bit harsh re the weight & this is just my opinion & i'm by no means an expert, i'm about the same height as you but was less than 70kg, TBH good for nothing else bar running:D
    i'd get killed on a hurling pitch, but attribute the reason i seem to be better at running longer than shorter distances down to the weight & strength ratio.
    few lads around me were playing junior B & took up running. really has stood to them.

Jaysus don't apologise jfh. I re kindled this log to get advice and opinions and I have a skin like a rhino.

Anyhow, did 6.25 miles tonight in 45:58, did the same run last night in under 45. Planned to go slower tonight but had went without the watch and thought I was going much slower. I hope to have time tomorrow night to stay out for about 10 miles. There is a floodlit track exactly0.52 miles around beside me here and is a super facility. Gravel finish on it.

Got out for 5.2 miles last night. Went around in 36:22. Leaves my total weeklly mileage at 23.4 so far and I will run on Saturday and Sunday evening as well. No time tonight as herself has a work night out and I may babysit.

• Advertisement

I strained my back handling livstock last Saturday so hadn't got out for a run since last Thursday night. Once I got the first mile over me last night I have to say the weeks break seems to have done me no harm and maybe even some good.
    Anyhow I ran 8.32 miles in a time of 59:54. I was happy enough with this to be honest as I felt that had I had more time on my hands I could have kept up the same pace for at least another 4-5 miles.

Last Friday I ran 6.25 in 43.54
    Saturday ran 5.5 in 39.11
    Last night 7.3 in 51.01
    It now seems I didn't give the back sufficient time as I slipped a disc in work this morning lifting timber. I am now on the valium and brufen and after getting a painkilling injection. I don't know how long I need to rest up for but there is a local 10k on 4 January that I want to run a good time in so I am absolutely sickened.

Last Friday I ran 6.25 in 43.54
    Saturday ran 5.5 in 39.11
    Last night 7.3 in 51.01
    It now seems I didn't give the back sufficient time as I slipped a disc in work this morning lifting timber. I am now on the valium and brufen and after getting a painkilling injection. I don't know how long I need to rest up for but there is a local 10k on 4 January that I want to run a good time in so I am absolutely sickened.

Haven't been back on here in a while but the post above was targetting a 10k for a good time today. I am back in from it and did a time of 40.44. This is a new personal best so I am thrilled with it. However it is a horrible time in another way that it is so close to going sub 40 minutes that it makes it a real and legitimate target.
    So, delighted and really motivated after today.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Cleanman

Great stuff Juniorhurler. I just came across your log there and had a read through it. Great improvement in only a year. Keep it up and sub 40 will be no bother in the 10k.

My 2cents are that you still look to be doing a lot of runs a little too fast. I've come from a GAA background too and slowing down is hard and seems unproductive but once you learn to slow it down, you'll enjoy running all the more. You just need to do one or two hard sessions a week - all the rest should be slow to really slow runs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭barryoneill50

Cleanman wrote: »
    Great stuff Juniorhurler. I just came across your log there and had a read through it. Great improvement in only a year. Keep it up and sub 40 will be no bother in the 10k.

My 2cents are that you still look to be doing a lot of runs a little too fast. I've come from a GAA background too and slowing down is hard and seems unproductive but once you learn to slow it down, you'll enjoy running all the more. You just need to do one or two hard sessions a week - all the rest should be slow to really slow runs.
    Agree with this, ask any experienced runner on here and they will tell you the same. I'm fairly new to this lark and I find it very hard to slow it down, but needs must! You will see your times improve long term......keep running.....

• Advertisement

Ya, I have had that advice alright before and I have to say it is difficult to slow down but I am trying. Up until now I had been running with no structure but the last two weeks I have introduced some pace work into my training and trying to slow down for recovery runs on the next day. Thanks for the advice folks, It is exactly why I dip in and out of here.

Advertisement