Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good 70% Chocolate

Options
  • 03-02-2012 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭

Recently the Tesco Finest 70% Dominican Republic Plain bar ceased to be stocked and I've struggled to find something decent to replace it. Lindt 70% is ok but doesn't really compare. Green and Blacks 70% is poor enough. I haven't found anything else locally that I really liked.

The Tesco chocolate was nicely bitter with a smokey aftertaste and all the others seem to be lacking in those kind of deeper flavours.

Any suggestions of other brands that I might like and where I could pick them up? Preferably in Ireland.

Thanks

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭ASJ112

This brand has loads of different types of 70%

http://williescacao.com/fine-chocolate/products/

If you are ever in Dublin, Fallon and Byrne have loads of different chocolate bars, cant remember their names off the top of my head though.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

Aldi actually have some pretty nice ones. Very cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,379 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Triangla wrote: »
    Aldi actually have some pretty nice ones. Very cheap too.

+1 for Aldi (Moser Roth) chocolate. By far my favourite 85%. I presume the 70% is equally good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Morf wrote: »
    Recently the Tesco Finest 70% Dominican Republic Plain bar ceased to be stocked and I've struggled to find something decent to replace it. Lindt 70% is ok but doesn't really compare.

Thanks

I have the same problem, I loved that chocolate and there was an 85% Finest too which was really good.

I agree that G&B is very overrated but it has improved over what it was about 5 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭artyeva

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    +1 for Aldi (Moser Roth) chocolate. By far my favourite 85%. I presume the 70% is equally good.

the moser roth 70% from aldi is delicious. ten times nicer than green and blacks. really deep rich aftertaste, almost smoky.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I have the same problem, I loved that chocolate and there was an 85% Finest too which was really good.

I agree that G&B is very overrated but it has improved over what it was about 5 years ago.

I contacted Tesco and they said it was only withdrawn from some stores and not all in Ireland.

The guy advised me to talk to customer care instore to see if they re-stock it for me.

I have relatives checking out a few stores near them to see if it's on sale too.

artyeva wrote: »
    the moser roth 70% from aldi is delicious. ten times nicer than green and blacks. really deep rich aftertaste, almost smoky.

I started out with Moser Roth but now I find it really cheap tasting and not very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Morf wrote: »
    I contacted Tesco and they said it was only withdrawn from some stores and not all in Ireland.

The guy advised me to talk to customer care instore to see if they re-stock it for me.

I have relatives checking out a few stores near them to see if it's on sale too.

I tried two of the larger Tescos near me (as well as my rubbish local city centre one) with no luck:mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

+1 on the Aldi. I use it in my chocolate cakes and it's amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

I user Merner choc for baking.

• Advertisement

I tried two of the larger Tescos near me (as well as my rubbish local city centre one) with no luck:mad:

I have people checking Tullamore and Douglas in Cork but I imagine I'll get the same result as yourself.

Just have to sweet-talk customer care in-store and see if they'll order it back in for you. I think it will be my best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

Aldi all the way here too.
    I was dubious initially but it's really nice chocolate!

Advertisement