Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resin without the hardener ?

• 03-02-2012 11:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm trying to lay an anti-slip surface on a fibreglass deck, i am mixing a small amount of fibreglass resin painting the surface and adding a course sand and when dry adding a second/third layer of resin, i have done a sample area and it works very well, my problem is the resin, mixing and laying before it hardens.

Anyone help with resin/hardener ratio that would give me an hour to work with it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

If you are using a polyester resin then, no. I think polyester resin contains a styrene wax which will tend to defeat the purpose. Use a two part epoxy - not Araldite or others with a curing accelerator like some West system epoxies. It will adhere a lot better to the substrate and give hours of working time at these temps.

For a near invisible nonslip, you can use sugar or salt instead of sand.

There are many non-slip paints you can buy for boats, probably from a marine chandlers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Thanks for the reply cnocbui, i am aware of the anti slip paint and intend finishing off with that, i have used it in other areas but i find it a little too fine for my liking. I think my main worry about this job is being able to remove the masking tape before its too late or removing it too early and have part spread over the parts i dont want doing.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

The mix can be different for each resin but you have to mix the right amount or you could end up with a gooey mess, you can also mix the grit in as you are stirring the resin and hardener. I use west system that comes with pumps and the mix is one pump of each you can also buy different speeds of hardener slow,medium and fast another tip once you have mixed it put it in a big tray and spread it out this will slow down the chemical reaction compared to it been in a cup or tin.I find it stays green for about 3 hours and about then I run a blade along the tape and just peal it away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I really, really would advise against mixing the grit into the resin. Spread the resin then sprinkle the grit onto it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

No, i had intended doing that, then vacuuming off the loose sand and sealing with another 2 coats of resin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,333 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

When adding more than one coat it should be done before it sets to make a chemical bond if it sets it will create an amine blush that the next coat won't properly bond to.

Advertisement